Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Candy shuts down checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by cordelli
I put the blame on the passengers too, one of them should have run to the counter and said hey, can you call the gate and see if they can hold the planes, the TSA is not letting anybody through security because of the terrorist candy.
I'd put that down to 20-20 hindsight. If they'd known when the checkpoint was first closed down that it was going to be 20 minutes, this would've made sense, but if they had the impression that it was going to reopen any minute now, they lose their place in line for nothing. (OT: I have the same problem with airlines that keep passengers at the gate for hours while repeatedly announcing that they'll start boarding in "just a few minutes".)
And of course the airline should have realized something was wrong when so many people checked in (and possible checked bags) and did not show up at the gate, somebody should have guessed there was a hold up someplace.
That, I agree with.
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
It takes 30 minutes to clear a bag of candy and an iPod? Did they bring sniffer dogs in? Sheeeesh.
Maybe it was salt water taffy. Do you know how long it takes to eat a whole box of taffy test the evidence and then dispose of it?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Wonder if it was (gasp!) KinderEggs.

'Artfully concealed...toys!' Someone could have gotten hurt.

Too bad we don't know if the candy was confiscated, er, surrendered.
Ooooh you're right! it IS after all the Christmas season. CBP goes on high alert at Christmas and Easter, targetting parcels from Germany in search of those highly dangeous eggs.

I wonder if someone had an egg in their carryon? Once they are confiscated, one is also subject to a fine and a $300 'storage' fee for the egg.

Überraschungseier - just more dangerous product courtesy of Ferrero!

Do you know how long it takes to eat a whole box of taffy test the evidence and then dispose of it?
And do you know how long it takes some people to build the toy inside the egg, and then play with test it to ensure that it isn't really a dangerous weapon?!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
And do you know how long it takes some people to build the toy inside the egg, and then play with test it to ensure that it isn't really a dangerous weapon?!
I've never had a Kinder Egg so this is just a random guess, but I'm going to say, umm, about 20 minutes?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:50 am

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
I put the blame on the passengers too, one of them should have run to the counter and said hey, can you call the gate and see if they can hold the planes, the TSA is not letting anybody through security because of the terrorist candy.

And of course the airline should have realized something was wrong when so many people checked in (and possible checked bags) and did not show up at the gate, somebody should have guessed there was a hold up someplace.
Yeah, right; blame the passengers--or should I say SUSPECTED TERRORISTS??
Old Dec 30, 2011, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by VonS
I don't see it as "blame", but rather pointing out the fact that people missing their flights could have been avoided if the TSA, the airline, or passengers had taken actions. Since GRR is used by people in the airline industry (e.g., GE Avionics), I'm actually quite surprised this didn't happen. (Indeed, GRR had some unofficial use policies immediately post-9/11 based on this.)
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
The Grand Rapids Press: Holland native blames TSA for missed flight

An article by reporter Zane McMillin of the The Grand Rapids Press provides a lot more information about what happened. Here's the link:

The Grand Rapids Press:
Holland native blames TSA for missed flight after bag of candy closes Ford Airport checkpoint

Published: Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 8:20 PM
Updated: Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 11:04 PM

A short quote from the article, including quotes from an affected passenger that was willing to be quoted by name:
Worried she would miss her connecting flight to Chicago, [Holland native Lora] Van Uffelen took action.

"I had asked two different
[TSA] agents at two different times, 'This is my flight, my flight’s leaving,'" said Van Uffelen, who works as an oceanographer at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. "And they said, 'We can’t do anything about it.'"

Now, Van Uffelen blames inaction by TSA agents in alerting airlines to the delay lest passengers miss imminently departing flights.

The Grand Rapids Press appears to have caught TSA spokesperson James Fontenos lying. From the article:

TSA spokesman did not return a call seeking comment on the matter. A call to the TSA's after-hours media pager went unreturned.

A Ford Airport communications representative said all after-hours inquiries into the matter should be referred to TSA officials.

Several hours after the checkpoint shut down, TSA spokesman James Fotenos sent The Press a statement that, in part, read: "There was no impact to flight operations and no delays incurred."

I'll conclude this post with a big ^ to reporter Zane McMillin for his work on that piece!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
The Grand Rapids Press appears to have caught TSA spokesperson James Fontenos lying.
How was he lying? It's correct: there were no flight delays! The problem is that there should have been.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
How was he lying? It's correct: there were no flight delays! The problem is that there should have been.
"There was no impact to flight operations and no delays incurred."
There was an impact to flight operations. The people who missed their flights had to be rebooked on other flights.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by VonS
The passengers most certainly deserve part of the responsibility of missing their flights (assuming anybody but the one person did miss their flight, the only reports are what she said the airline told her, not confirmed by the airline). It was not totally out of their control to prevent this from happening. If they wanted to stand in the little pen listening to the airline paging them over and over again to board and did nothing about it that was their choice. It would not have been mine.

If they choose to arrive at security with only five or ten minutes to the start of boarding, that was their choice, it would not have been mine.

It is quite possible there was no outrage because only one person was affected by the delay because she showed up way too late.

Yes the TSA detected something in the candy that set off the alarm, and had to investigate it. Maybe it was legitimate, maybe it was not (there are some candy ingredients like ammonium chloride in licorice that could be mistaken for things the scanners are looking for), but that's not the point.

I'm not blaming the passengers. I'm saying they could have done things differently and quite possibly made their flights instead of just sitting there doing nothing. There were lots of things that could have been done differently to get the people on the 12:35 flight, by the TSA, by the airline, and by the passengers. They all share in the responsibility of those missing the flights.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
There was an impact to flight operations. The people who missed their flights had to be rebooked on other flights.
Rebooking is not a flight operation.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Rebooking is not a flight operation.
I would disagree with that.

Flying a plane without booked passengers and then having to accommodate them on other flights is a flight operation.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
I've never had a Kinder Egg so this is just a random guess, but I'm going to say, umm, about 20 minutes?
The youngsters in my family can 'clear' and 'dispose' of a Kinder-Egg in much less than 20 minutes. So can I.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:02 pm

The youngsters in my family can 'clear' and 'dispose' of a Kinder-Egg in much less than 20 minutes. So can I.
That just shows (in case we needed further proof) that you're all mentally overqualified to work for TSA.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:21 pm

You wouldn't be corrupting underage US citizens with banned materials, would you?!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by exbayern

You wouldn't be corrupting underage US citizens with banned materials, would you?!
Of course, our experiences date from before the ban on such risky materials.

Amazing that we all survived (and no planes fell out of the sky, either).

Last edited by chollie; Dec 30, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.