Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Worker Suspended for Newark Airport Breach

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager

By FOX NEWS

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has suspended one of its employees at Newark Liberty International Airport after a security breach occurred last Thursday.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/tsa-...#ixzz1hm14I4zr
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: United
"The safety of the traveling public is TSA’s top priority. We hold our employees to the highest professional standards and take appropriate action when necessary. The individual in question is no longer performing screening duties and appropriate action is being taken," TSA Spokesman Greg Soule told FoxNews.com

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/27...#ixzz1hmhhC73l

Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"the TSA source said, adding that additional training is likely when the worker is off of suspension."
So a TSA employee does not perform the most basic job of a baggage screener yet doesn't get fired.

And people wonder why TSA is AFU!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I wonder if this guy is one of the famous 4 who let the box cutter through on 9/11,
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
I wonder if this guy is one of the famous 4 who let the box cutter through on 9/11,
Box cutters were permitted on aircraft on 9/11.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:14 pm
Suspended

TSA's new motto: Security Theatre Done Right*

*some of the time, unless the clerks are hungry, are looking for five-finger discounts, smuggling drugs, or just plain incompetent.

TSA combines the worst parts of post 9/11 faux security paranoia and unionized mediocrity. I think Bruce Schneier mentioned how anothe 9/11 will never occur because passengers will fight back. In the attempts we've had since then, that's been the case. Why do we have TSA then? (because it's nearly impossible to dissolve a government program)
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:58 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
"The safety of the traveling public is TSA’s top priority. We hold our employees to the highest professional standards and take appropriate action when necessary. The individual in question is no longer performing screening duties and appropriate action is being taken," TSA Spokesman Greg Soule told FoxNews.com
Cough, cough. Baloney Sandwich. Cough, cough

A TSA source at Newark airport told FoxNews.com that there could have been many reasons for the breach and that “test luggage” is often sent through the checkpoints to keep security officers on their toes.

“The worker could have been distracted for a second, or someone may have been talking to them and they didn’t give a complete screening,” the TSA source said, adding that additional training is likely when the worker is off of suspension.
Cough, cough. Baloney Sandwich. Cough, cough

The source claims that the worker was operating a program that he was not certified to run, making any bag that was cleared on his watch a security breach.
My question is.....why was he running a machine he was not certified to run in the first place? Seems to me that the person in charge of the duty roster is the one who needs some "re-training".
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
So a TSA employee does not perform the most basic job of a baggage screener yet doesn't get fired.

And people wonder why TSA is AFU!
Yes, they should fired him immediately. It's very inappropriate for the behavior against the bag screener. This is unacceptable. They should have screened the bag properly. No one should be improper unscreened the bag. Must be exact 100% screened all checked bag.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:47 am

What's surprising to me about this story is that it's a story about TSA in Newark that doesn't involve them stealing, for a change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.