Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Hungry luggage-inspecting TSOs at ALB unable to resist yummy chocolate cake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hungry luggage-inspecting TSOs at ALB unable to resist yummy chocolate cake

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by SATTSO
At most airports you checked luggage spends more time with airport and airline employees that with TSA.

As to someone stating there is no chain of custody, that could not be more wrong. There certainly is a chain of custody.

http://www.ifly.com/albany-airport/baggage-and-security

Note the following:

Quote: "Baggage checkpoints* are now the first checkpoints you will encounter at the airport. Security screeners will screen all checked-baggage before it is loaded onto the planes"

This is a semi-inline baggage system. Which means the first people to have access to the bag are TSA employees, and the last people to have access to the bag are both airport and airline employees.
If there is a chain of custody for checked bags, why is it that you don't know who steals things out of them? Airlines deny that their employees stole your stuff ("Anybody could have taken that out of your bag at any point in transit"), TSA denies that their employees stole your stuff ("you checked luggage spends more time with airport and airline employees that with TSA"), and you wind up twisting in the wind as each side blames the other, because there is no verifiable, trackable, logged chain of custody for checked bags.

A chain of custody means that each individual person who accesses your bag is logged, and that nobody can access the bag without logging it. The very fact that you are able to cast doubts on TSOs stealing stuff from baggage means that there is no verifiable, trackable chain of custody for checked bags - which means that your entire screening process is completely worthless security theater, because "anybody could have taken that out of the bag at any point during transit" also means that, "anybody could have put anything INTO the bag at any point during transit" as well - and your agency, which is tasked with keeping bad things off of planes, would never know it, until it went boom.

A verifiable chain of custody is absolutely essential to any sort of true security screening. This has been well known for decades, hence the questions - "Has your bag been out of your sight since you packed it? Has anyone had posession of your bag since you packed it?"

TSA, as an agency, is either too stupid to know it, or too crummy at its job to care.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
TSA, as an agency, is either too stupid to know it, or too crummy at its job to care.
I don't think that really is an either/or statement.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by OldGoat
SATTSO, what is your definition of "chain of custody"? I understand that bags follow a path from the ticket counter to the aircraft, and that different people have different roles along that path, but that isn't a chain of custody according to this description, or this description.

Using those definitions, I fail to see how "that could not be more wrong." But you may be using a different definition. What is it, and where can it be found?
No, that is the definition I am using. This is part of the problem on this site - people assume they understand what happens at the airport, when what they write clearly shows they do not.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, that is the definition I am using. This is part of the problem on this site - people assume they understand what happens at the airport, when what they write clearly shows they do not.
Maybe I am dense but I don't follow.

Are you claiming that checked baggage does have positive control on who accesses the bags at all times after a traveler turns over their bag be it to the airline or TSA?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
(bolding mine) ?? I assume your comments are addressing how baggage is handled at your airport.

Perhaps there are other posters here who are more familiar than you are with what happens at other airports.

I have passed through airports (PHX comes to mind) where I immediately hand my luggage directly to a TSO for screening, but generally I hand my bags to someone else - skycap or an airline agent and TSA gets their hands on my bags at some point later in the process.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:07 pm

Well, part of the process I can see: a baggage handler loads the bag onto a belt where another baggage handler who's inside the cargo hold takes it and stows it. If there were a chain of custody being maintained, there would be a process, for each bag, where one handler signs control of the bag to the other. Not only is this clearly not happening, there's no practical way that it could ever happen. So I too am confused about your definition of "chain of custody".
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA, WN, HA, VX, HHonors
It's not a Chain of Custody, SATSO. You mean something else. Chain of Custody is a law enforcement/legal term, and it involves documenting/recording property as it exchanges hands . If the TSA uses a real chain of custody procedure, then an investigator would be able to identify exactly who stole item from a bag ......or ate half a cake.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Maybe I am dense but I don't follow.

Are you claiming that checked baggage does have positive control on who accesses the bags at all times after a traveler turns over their bag be it to the airline or TSA?
Anyone who has ever sat on a plane and seen an orphaned bag sitting alone on the tarmac has seen a bag that is clearly not under anyone's 'positive control'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.