Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Hungry luggage-inspecting TSOs at ALB unable to resist yummy chocolate cake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

A short quote from an article in the Palm Beach Post:
when the [PAX] was preparing to fly back home, his mother-in-law put a boxed chocolate cake along with some boxes of Christmas ornaments inside his suitcase.
and

It was a chocolate cake made by Hannaford, the supermarket chain. But what Maltese noticed most of all was that about a third of the cake was missing.....There was also a "Notice of Bag Inspection" form in his suitcase from the U.S. Transportation Security Administration to inform him that the contents of his bag had been checked before his flight from Albany.

Here's the link:
Palm Beach Post:
Cerabino: Dessert-toting traveler thinks TSA takes cake

Updated: 10:28 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 22, 2011
Posted: 10:15 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 22, 2011
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
More hungry clerks, maybe they forgot their lunch
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
What is the chain of custody on those bags? Was there an opportunity for a baggage handler to have a bite? And were the bags within camera range at all times? We did get this from the TSA:

"We reviewed the videotape for the entire period of time that the passenger's bag would have gone through the screening process. At no time did we see anything resembling a cake removed from any suitcase. There was a suitcase with boxes, and those boxes were not opened. I can't guarantee that was the passenger's cake, but I want to stress that nobody opened a box with a cake or anything resembling a cake."
At this point, I'm not ready to call out the TSA as the guilty party.

Mike
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I grew up in the Albany area. ALB is not that large of an airport, so the baggage handling area is pretty small. I can't imagine a scenario where an open checked bag would have the opportunity to be handled separately. I would have to agree that this is strange MO for clerks. I would have expected them to steal the whole cake. The evidence has to be there somewhere: a knife (plastic, of course) covered with frosting, gloves smeared with cake & frosting, or dirty paper plates in the trash.

I also note that it's amazing the bad press items that Kristin Lee feels compelled to drop everything and squish with a full-court press.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
The Daily Mail's take on this story:

The Daily Mail:
Did TSA inspectors help themselves to a slice of a passenger's CAKE?

Last updated at 7:43 AM on 24th December 2011

After discussing the missing slice of cake, the article goes on to say:
"This is just the latest in a string of bizarre behaviour by TSA inspectors."
The article then proceeds to describe the Freddie Gibbs marijuana and Jill Filipovic vibrator incidents.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
What is the chain of custody on those bags? Was there an opportunity for a baggage handler to have a bite? And were the bags within camera range at all times? We did get this from the TSA:

Mike
There is no chain of custody, thus a huge FAIL by the TSA. Even if they found a bomb in a piece of luggage they would have no proof that the passenger was the one who put it there.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
At most airports you checked luggage spends more time with airport and airline employees that with TSA.

As to someone stating there is no chain of custody, that could not be more wrong. There certainly is a chain of custody.

http://www.ifly.com/albany-airport/baggage-and-security

Note the following:

Quote: "Baggage checkpoints* are now the first checkpoints you will encounter at the airport. Security screeners will screen all checked-baggage before it is loaded onto the planes"

This is a semi-inline baggage system. Which means the first people to have access to the bag are TSA employees, and the last people to have access to the bag are both airport and airline employees.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO
As to someone stating there is no chain of custody, that could not be more wrong. There certainly is a chain of custody.
SATTSO, what is your definition of "chain of custody"? I understand that bags follow a path from the ticket counter to the aircraft, and that different people have different roles along that path, but that isn't a chain of custody according to this description, or this description.

Using those definitions, I fail to see how "that could not be more wrong." But you may be using a different definition. What is it, and where can it be found?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by SATTSO
This is a semi-inline baggage system. Which means the first people to have access to the bag are TSA employees, and the last people to have access to the bag are both airport and airline employees.
And, yet again, I ask (for the umpteen-millionth time) why bags are not sealed by the TSA once they pass inspection.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
And, yet again, I ask (for the umpteen-millionth time) why bags are not sealed by the TSA once they pass inspection.
If they did seal it, they wouldn't have plausible deniability of their employees having pilfered bags. As is the case with most of what the TSA does/doesn't do, it is built around helping and/or protecting them, not American citizens.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:03 am

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
"As is the case with most of what the TSA does/doesn't do, it is built around helping and/or protecting them, not American citizens."

^^^^^^^^^^
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:03 pm

Stories like this make me do everything possible to always carry on. I cant believe they ate the cake, wow.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:08 pm

And at least in the Netherlands, at Schiphol, there is a service to shrink wrap your bags just like this, for an extra fee. Not quite sure on how it works.

Would be really worth the money to me, because not only can the TSA and airline workers not steal anything (or even worse, smuggle anything) nor will stuff fall out if a zipper comes undone.

And if the bag is tampered with, there's proof (as long as there are no shrink wrap machines in the back rooms).
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by jtodd
If they did seal it, they wouldn't have plausible deniability of their employees having pilfered bags. As is the case with most of what the TSA does/doesn't do, it is built around helping and/or protecting them, not American citizens.
I agree completely.

When I brought this idea up on this forum a couple of years ago, I got the song and dance from our resident TSOs about how it was unworkable and expensive and time consuming and every other reason under the sun why they couldn't do something like that.

So, I will continue to believe that the TSA is just as culpable in stealing from baggage as the baggage handlers are.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:29 am

I agree completely.

When I brought this idea up on this forum a couple of years ago, I got the song and dance from our resident TSOs about how it was unworkable and expensive and time consuming and every other reason under the sun why they couldn't do something like that.

So, I will continue to believe that the TSA is just as culpable in stealing from baggage as the baggage handlers are.
Actually, they are much more likely to steal from bags. They have something that the baggage handlers do not. They have knowledge of the contents of the bag and if anything is worth stealing by their inspection/xray. At least when they are not neglecting their jobs by not screening bags as is happening, and quite often it appears.

In some cases, I would hazard a guess that TSA employees steal illicit items without any concern for repercussions, as the owner can't exactly file a police report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.