Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

LAS TSO confiscates Cupcake by claiming its frosting is a "gel"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAS TSO confiscates Cupcake by claiming its frosting is a "gel"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
UPI: TSA strikes back in 'Cupcake-gate'

UPI has posted an item on this:

United Press International
TSA strikes back in 'Cupcake-gate'

Published: Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM

It concludes with this sentence:

Rebecca Hains of Peabody, Mass., the traveler with the criminal cupcake, changed her Twitter biography to include "Cupcake Terror Expert!" and created a Facebook page called Rebecca and the Threatening Cupcake, the Times said.
Here are those links, to Rebecca Hains' "Cupcake Terror Expert!" (twitter) and Rebecca and the Threatening Cupcake (facebook).
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:40 pm

The cupcake has been renamed "National (Security) Velvet."
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:43 pm

It's too bad she didn't freeze her cupcake before going through security. As we all know from previous TSA encounters, frozen liquids and gels are completely safe.

I was also thinking of taking a normal 500 ml or 20 oz bottle of water and pouring it into 3.4 oz containers before security. Then after passing through security, pouring the 3.4 oz containers into the original bottle. It might be fun to try that and see what happens.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spd476
It's too bad she didn't freeze her cupcake before going through security. As we all know from previous TSA encounters, frozen liquids and gels are completely safe.

I was also thinking of taking a normal 500 ml or 20 oz bottle of water and pouring it into 3.4 oz containers before security. Then after passing through security, pouring the 3.4 oz containers into the original bottle. It might be fun to try that and see what happens.
Be sure and do it right next to the elevated Throne Stand of Doom for the All-Powerful Observers of the Process at the exit to the checkpoint. Get a friend to film it. I'll help out by donating a bit toward bail.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Maybe the whole point of Bob's preposterous post was to divert attention from a couple bricks of real explosive that passed through the checkpoint at Fayetteville. Bad enough to get pounds of 'artfully concealed' nasty (in a government wrapper, no less) through a checkpoint, but it was apparently in a bag that had been flagged and opened because of another 'artfully concealed' prohibited item, a smoke grenade (or, as one TSO poster here would have us believe, a det**ator artfully disguised as a smoke grenade).
Old Jan 12, 2012, 4:49 am

From the Boston Globe web site:

Scandalous success:
Cohasset bakery savors buzz after TSA seizes cupcake

What could have been a public relations disaster - what business wants its sweet offerings placed in the same category as box cutters and explosives? - has turned into a marketing coup.

Business is booming, Noonan said, both for the bakery’s cupcakes and for T-shirts proclaiming “The TSA Stole My Wicked Good Cupcake,’’ with orders coming from as far away as Hawaii. The “Wicked Good to Go’’ cupcakes - layers of cake and filling topped with the frosting that set off TSA alarms because it resembled potentially explosive gel, packaged in a glass jar - are particularly popular, she said. The nine travel varieties are designed to be eaten with a spoon.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Maybe the whole point of Bob's preposterous post was to divert attention from a couple bricks of real explosive that passed through the checkpoint at Fayetteville. Bad enough to get pounds of 'artfully concealed' nasty (in a government wrapper, no less) through a checkpoint, but it was apparently in a bag that had been flagged and opened because of another 'artfully concealed' prohibited item, a smoke grenade (or, as one TSO poster here would have us believe, a det**ator artfully disguised as a smoke grenade).
I was thinking the same thing. There are over 300 comments now and no mention of the C4 getting through the checkpoint. The TSA's silence on that incident makes me believe it really did make it on that plane. Otherwise there would have been a "good catch" entry quickly posted.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta PM
The Cupcake Lady has posted a response on Consumerist:

http://consumerist.com/2012/01/the-t...-cupcakes.html
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Cher905
The Cupcake Lady has posted a response on Consumerist:

http://consumerist.com/2012/01/the-t...-cupcakes.html
Too bad she danced around the word "Propaganda" without actually using it.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Rebecca Haines
Anyway, the TSA's response misses a much bigger point: the story went viral because people across the nation are so incredibly tired of the TSA's security theater. If the TSA were reformed to focus on security—WITHOUT taking naked pictures of us, dousing us with radiation, confiscating medicine, mishandling medical devices, and throwing away our water bottles and nail clippers and so on—well, then the public might have its confidence in the TSA restored
That is an awfully good summary of what is wrong with TSA coming from a presumed "lay person" who is not on FT or involved in day-to-day analysis of TSA. ^
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:49 am

No surprise. i see similar episode of zero-common-sense everyday.

Im curious to know if it was a TSO that determined the cupcake wasnt allowed or a supervisor... My guess would be a super anal everything-by-the-book supervisor.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:55 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Enter the TSA Compliant Cupcake, a new product from Silver Spoon Bakery in Providence, R.I. "We wanted to take a tongue-in-cheek look at what the ideal cupcake would be to be TSA compliant," Silver Spoon owner Kelly Colgan says Thursday. "Cupcakes are a fun product."

Colgan redesigned the cupcake with security in mind. It's made of basic vanilla bean cake topped with exactly 3 ounces of frosting and packaged in a standard 3-1-1 one-quart see-thru bag. It costs $4 and even comes with its own boarding pass -- and, if you like, comes decorated (see photo) with a Richard Nixon photo and the words "I am not a gel" or other security-related message.

Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by cordelli
Enter the TSA Compliant Cupcake, a new product from Silver Spoon Bakery in Providence, R.I. "We wanted to take a tongue-in-cheek look at what the ideal cupcake would be to be TSA compliant," Silver Spoon owner Kelly Colgan says Thursday. "Cupcakes are a fun product."

Colgan redesigned the cupcake with security in mind. It's made of basic vanilla bean cake topped with exactly 3 ounces of frosting and packaged in a standard 3-1-1 one-quart see-thru bag. It costs $4 and even comes with its own boarding pass -- and, if you like, comes decorated (see photo) with a Richard Nixon photo and the words "I am not a gel" or other security-related message.

It is SO appropriate to use Richard Nixon on something involving the TSA.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli

I'll take a couple of those...anyone want to bet those too might get confiscated somewhere. But anyways even I, one who has been warning people of TSA's slippery slope model since their inception am wondering what is going to be next. Think of this, right now a lot of people in this country are reading and or talking about TSA and the cupcake fiasco, not just us. The lunancy involved here is beyond imagine. I can only wonder, and cringe at the thoughts of what we may see next. Nothing, and I mean nothing is beyond impossible now with this organization. If you try to deny that you're only fooling yourself.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Spence1097
I'll take a couple of those...anyone want to bet those too might get confiscated somewhere. But anyways even I, one who has been warning people of TSA's slippery slope model since their inception am wondering what is going to be next. Think of this, right now a lot of people in this country are reading and or talking about TSA and the cupcake fiasco, not just us. The lunancy involved here is beyond imagine. I can only wonder, and cringe at the thoughts of what we may see next. Nothing, and I mean nothing is beyond impossible now with this organization. If you try to deny that you're only fooling yourself.
TSA HQ is probably thrilled about this - the timing couldn't be better.

Otherwise people might be wondering how 4+ pounds of explosive got through the checkpoint in a bag that was pulled for a check in Fayetteville.

I'm sure TSA would much rather have folks talking about cupcakes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.