Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

LAS TSO confiscates Cupcake by claiming its frosting is a "gel"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAS TSO confiscates Cupcake by claiming its frosting is a "gel"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2011, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Slate's Brian Palmer did the research and has the answer to the question: Can you really make a bomb out of a pastry?

Here's the link:

Slate
Cupcake Wars - Can you really make a bomb out of a pastry?

Posted Wednesday, Dec. 28, 2011, at 2:47 PM ET
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Yeah, but what if this situation plays out: Passenger brings cupcake on board. As the pilot steps out of the cockpit to do his doodie, pax throws the cupcake in the pilot's face, temporarily blinding him. Then, in OJ like fashion, pax leapfrogs the carts that the FAs have set up to block the cockpit and wham, we have a terrorist in the cockpit. Personally, I'm glad that we have a TSO considering all possible scenarios.

Mike
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef
Personally, I'm glad that we have a TSO considering all possible scenarios.
In the same vein, it will be inspiring if the video shows a TSA employee heroically throwing this potential explosive into his own mouth without regard for his own safety (or diet) to protect others.

That's worthy of a Just Desserts award.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA, WN, HA, VX, HHonors
If a flight attendant ever places a cupcake on my food tray, I'm gonna tackle her and yell for everyone to take cover. You just never know......
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Slate's Brian Palmer did the research and has the answer to the question: Can you really make a bomb out of a pastry?

Here's the link:

Slate
Cupcake Wars - Can you really make a bomb out of a pastry?

Posted Wednesday, Dec. 28, 2011, at 2:47 PM ET
I liked the end quote the best:
The incident at Las Vegas airport is the second terrorism-related cupcake story of the year. In the spring, agents from MI6, the intelligence agency for the United Kingdom, hacked into al-Qaida’s online magazine Inspire and replaced the bomb-making instructions with cupcake recipes from The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:53 pm
Used to be HSDebateCoach

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, MR Plat Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle
The real question.... will they let me take my jelly donuts through...
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by HSDebateCoach
The real question.... will they let me take my jelly donuts through...
Unless it's purchased airside, you might be taking your chances on getting thru - especially anything with cream/kream, jelly or lemon fillings & frostings, IMHO.

Stick with the plain ones, as they will find it very difficult to come up with a reason (not that they really need one) to confiscate or prompt you to "surrender" them, LOL. Half-eaten or ones with bite marks, however, should up the odds of getting it through .... I think.

Hmmm, looked like I will have to ditch my favorite cheese & spinach calzone since the fillings could be .... oh, nevermind - I will consume it before reaching the screeners, in their face !
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:06 am

Isn't the human brain sort of a gel?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Originally Posted by IslandBased
Isn't the human brain sort of a gel?
Only in the case of TSA employees!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:09 pm

deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 2012 at 8:57 pm
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Certainly not all TSOs, but I question whether the cupcake TSO (and her manager) have >3.4 ounces of functioning brain matter.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Certainly not all TSOs, but I question whether the cupcake TSO (and her manager) have >3.4 ounces of functioning brain matter.
A person posting as "TSM" on the TSA Blog stated the cupcakes should not have been allowed per TSA regs.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
A person posting as "TSM" on the TSA Blog stated the cupcakes should not have been allowed per TSA regs.
Yeah, I saw that. I thought it was an interesting comment because without further qualification, it contradicted the statement of the TSA spokesman who said that cakes and pies are usually allowed (although, like everything TSA, subject to the whim and appetites, sorry, judgment of the individual screener).

The traveller also doesn't appear to have been offered the option to leave the checkpoint to dispose of the cupcake (friend, check it, leave it in the car). That may not have been realistic in her situation, but the option should have been presented. (In similar situations, I have left the checkpoint just so I could dispose of the item in an airport trashcan so it wouldn't end up in the TSOs pocket).

Since the TSM also said BOS had done it wrong, I would like to see the media ask the BOS FSD to comment on this lapse of security - is the BOS screener going to be 'retrained'? According to the pax, she took two cupcakes through the checkpoint at BOS, so the public was doubly at risk...
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fredd
without regard for his own safety (or diet) to protect others.

That's worthy of a Just Desserts award.
Judging by my recent travels, TSA are brave and honorable folk willing to do so.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
My parents live in a town adjacent to Cohasset. Next time I visit the fam, I'm gonna stop by the cupcake store and see how much their sales went up in the weeks after this announcement.

And, being a true American, I'm going to buy a cupcake and sue them for false advertising if I decide they aren't wicked good.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.