Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

2nd ID check within 10 feet of first: what's the point?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2nd ID check within 10 feet of first: what's the point?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
They've been doing this since the "State Your Name" crapola started at other airports. Didn't happen before that.

I objected to one of the offenders one time and she said "we don't like it any more than you do, but this is to make sure the document checkers didn't miss anything".

I would have to say that this is markedly better than the interrogations or "state your name" stuff. It still serves no purpose other than to harass.

I find that an electronic boarding pass makes it easier at IAD as there's no paper for them to check (and it's hard for them to read the screen).
Then can't we just skip the first guy and go directly to the one that is competent? Makes more sense.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Then can't we just skip the first guy and go directly to the one that is competent? Makes more sense.
Regarding the topic of specificity and sensitivity of tests (how no test will give 100% of either quantity - false positives and false negatives are always nonzero), I'd have to reluctantly say that having two people checking the same ID would reduce the likelihood of mistakes considerably. It's not unusual in a medical setting to do a test twice or even more times to be as sure as possible that the correct conclusion is reached. There is always some cost/benefit tradeoff, but the extra wages of one person probably could be justified.

BUT, that hinges on the assumption that we need ID checking at all. I don't feel that knowing who is on a plane makes the plane negligibly safer for the cost of civil liberties and make-work program.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CelticPax
Regarding the topic of specificity and sensitivity of tests (how no test will give 100% of either quantity - false positives and false negatives are always nonzero), I'd have to reluctantly say that having two people checking the same ID would reduce the likelihood of mistakes considerably. It's not unusual in a medical setting to do a test twice or even more times to be as sure as possible that the correct conclusion is reached. There is always some cost/benefit tradeoff, but the extra wages of one person probably could be justified.

BUT, that hinges on the assumption that we need ID checking at all. I don't feel that knowing who is on a plane makes the plane negligibly safer for the cost of civil liberties and make-work program.
More important is that the ID match does not absolutely determine who is on the plane but only that the name on the ID matches the name on the BP with a reasonable approximation of matching the face on the ID to the passenger.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
More important is that the ID match does not absolutely determine who is on the plane but only that the name on the ID matches the name on the BP with a reasonable approximation of matching the face on the ID to the passenger.
Thanks, I forgot that one!

Habituation and forgetting the basic arguments and focusing on fine points rather than the bigger issues happens to me too.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by CelticPax

Except medical tests have a benefit. Checking ID's to get on an airplane has ZERO gain for anybody's safety.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:27 pm
Suspended

otherwise, the terrorists win
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by OxonCantab
otherwise, the terrorists win
Oh, they've already won. Just not the way we thought they would.

Mike
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:02 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Had this again today, and the 2nd checker spent longer scrutinizing my ID and BP than did the TDC. I had to really bite my tongue on snark.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by exerda
Had this again today, and the 2nd checker spent longer scrutinizing my ID and BP than did the TDC. I had to really bite my tongue on snark.
I have done a good job biting my tongue on virtually all forms of snark at the airport. Most TSOs are fine and I just go on about my day. But if I get the double-check, I'm going to have to try a lot harder than usual, otherwise a "slow day, huh?" might slip out.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.