Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

2nd ID check within 10 feet of first: what's the point?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:58 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

I encounter this frequently at IAD. There are 1-2 more TSOs standing within 5-10 feet of the TDC stations, and they stop about 1 in 3 pax to ask to see their BP and ID.

Rarely, they do an ETD swab of one's hands (I've run into that only once, but the 2nd ID check probably 6-8 times this fall).

Honestly, is there ANY (valid) reason for an ID & BP check within a couple of paces of the original document check? On at least one occasion, this TSO had clearly seen two different TDCs look at my BP & ID already (they were conferring over whether or not NEXUS was acceptable), yet felt the need to take a look herself, too.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:27 am

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Probably trying to justify her existence.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: United
Jobs program.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:31 am

When you start to view the TSA as a massive federal make-work program and not as an agency that provides security, a lot of procedures start to make sense.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:52 am

I've seen this at FLL when there are some TSO's "working the line" before TDC. Some have said they're BDO's.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:31 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

At LGA, they still make you show your BP to pass through the magnetometer after having been checked at the magic blue light TSA stand only 20 feet before itI guess a lot can change in those mere 20 feet.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Kinda like Communist Russia of old. When mechanical cash registers finally landed there, they couldn't fire the original cashiers, though they needed new ones trained on registers, so they had the original person run an abacus to verify the cash register.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I've seen this at FLL when there are some TSO's "working the line" before TDC. Some have said they're BDO's.
For those folks, does one have the option of declining their request to view ID? TSA has said in the past that their screening procedures start at the TDC - just wondering if they've reversed their position.

On a recent flight out of DCA, I ran into one of the rent-a-cops asking to see my BP and ID. I politely declined, by suggesting that TSA's procedures only required me to show the documents to them - and the person simply walked away. Just wondering if there is yet another "random" change in things or "if it's just done differently" down in FLL.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
At LGA, they still make you show your BP to pass through the magnetometer after having been checked at the magic blue light TSA stand only 20 feet before itI guess a lot can change in those mere 20 feet.
They used to do that at BWI, as well, but they seemed to have stopped by late 2010. I almost understood the reasoning - the TDC was originally there merely to make sure that only ticketed passengers (or those with gate passes) could pass through security, and the TDC was originally placed farther from the WTMD than they are today, leaving enough roped queue area that, in a very crowded situation, people could have possibly slipped into the line past the TDC. Of course, the solution would have been simple - move the TDC closer to the WTMD. But BWI decided that they'd back up the TDC by having the WTMD operator check your BP as you entered the portal. It wasn't a terribly big hassle and actually did act as a "layer" to plug a potential hole in the previous layer, which was about 40-50' away.

Today, the TDCs are simply a lot closer to the WTMD, and the barriers between the landside and the checkpoint are a bit more robust, making it highly unlikely that anyone could slip into the line past the TDC, so the WTMD/AIT operators no longer want to see your BP.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:06 am

I'm pretty sure they do this because of what happened at IAD last February:

http://consumerist.com/2011/02/80-ye...ding-pass.html

Because of one screw-up almost a year ago, we are now subject to this nonsense.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by MrColdShower
I'm pretty sure they do this because of what happened at IAD last February:

http://consumerist.com/2011/02/80-ye...ding-pass.html

Because of one screw-up almost a year ago, we are now subject to this nonsense.
A year? The knee-jerker must have been asleep.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:52 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I encountered this nonsense a little over a year ago at SFO and I'm waiting for it to happen again as where I always check-in on-line but reprint my bp's when I get to the airport, I show the airport/kiosk printed BP to the TDC but always have the un-marked/un-scribbled OLCI BP ready to show to the second TSO just to see their reaction
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by tkey75
A year? The knee-jerker must have been asleep.
It actually started shortly after this incident, if memory serves.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
That was to check for SSSS since that's the way it was handled there. But I haven't seen this done in a while.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
It's been reported, on and off at numerous airports, since TSA started.

I experienced it at IAD in 2002; my brother said "they're making the process as ridiculous as they can so that if another attack does happen, they can ask 'well, do you want us to make it even worse?' " Right theory, but little did he know how much worse it could get.

I can't find the original post from years ago, but someone here described how he asked the second ID checker what was wrong with the first ID checker, less than 10 feet away. Her response was "I naw dem; dey naw me." Brilliant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.