Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's not always the TSA's fault

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:14 pm

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
incessant, never ending bullying of anyone who dares disagree? yup, I'm starting to equate the two.

someone posted that they don't have to be nice to the tsa, but the tsa HAS to be nice to them. never mind common courtesy by the passenger. who do they think they are to treat another person that way? (I'd actually really like to know the answer to that)
I generally agree with you on this accord, regarding passenger incivility.

However, the "politeness asymmetry" exists and is part of being AT WORK and on the job. When working in the ER I have had more than a few people spit at me, and a few even take a swing at my head. Did I retaliate, or not give care?

Granted, MDs get quite a bit more deference as a rule and are generally respected, but part of being a "professional work force" is the ability to absorb a bit of this kind of punishment with a smile and deep breath. My nurses, secretaries, techs, and other staff deal with a lot of punishment and do a generally good job of maintaining a smiling face and professionalism. Yes, they HAVE to be nice.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by cardiomd
I generally agree with you on this accord, regarding passenger incivility.

However, the "politeness asymmetry" exists and is part of being AT WORK and on the job. When working in the ER I have had more than a few people spit at me, and a few even take a swing at my head. Did I retaliate, or not give care?

Granted, MDs get quite a bit more deference as a rule and are generally respected, but part of being a "professional work force" is the ability to absorb a bit of this kind of punishment with a smile and deep breath. My nurses, secretaries, techs, and other staff deal with a lot of punishment and do a generally good job of maintaining a smiling face and professionalism. Yes, they HAVE to be nice.
I know patients can be hostile... including many under the influence, or with mental health problems... but it would be a different story if they went to the ER with the intent, from the outset, of being hostile, and with the view tha all staff were incompetent pedophiles, and posting, in advance, on chat rooms how they are going to do their utmost to disrupt the ER.

that's kind of what we get a lot of on this forum on FT.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Nov 29, 2011 at 11:57 pm
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:59 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
pity that nobody is allowed to have a view that dissents from the fanatics who are so opposed to the tsp and the staff it employs.

fascism by the tsp or incessant bullying by people who disagree... seem pretty much the same to me.

I for one get sick and tired of it. change your tune.

I agree with the author of the article, noting thatch is talking about very specific issues such as removing shoes, or liquids. not all tsa employees should be lumped together.
This is pure tripe.

Brennen writes for a blog that allows comments. If he wasn't looking for anything other than to post his opinion and not face differing opinions, then he should have requested comments not be allowed on the column.

As the old saying goes, "If you can't stand the heat..."

Last edited by PhoenixRev; Nov 29, 2011 at 11:10 pm
Old Nov 30, 2011, 5:22 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I know patients can be hostile... including many under the influence, or with mental health problems... but it would be a different story if they went to the ER with the intent, from the outset, of being hostile, and with the view tha all staff were incompetent pedophiles, and posting, in advance, on chat rooms how they are going to do their utmost to disrupt the ER.

I do not go to the airport intending or even planing a disruption. I go to the airport to get on an airplane. Between leaving the house and taking my seat, there are a series of things that I must endure to successfully complete this task.

What the TSA has become is the primary potential barrier to my getting on the plane. Most of the time it is simple and of no consequence. Occasionally, it becomes the focus of every bit of restraint and calm that I can muster. The times that I will encounter the officious martinets whose sole purpose in life seems to be to needlessly offend and incite as many people as they can will negate the good intentions and actions of many polite and capable TSO's.

I do not go looking for a fight or confrontation. I go expecting to get on my plane without incident, and I prepare by knowing what is allowed and what is not and taking the proper care. When confronted by the occasional TSO with less than adequate training, I do not surrender. I still have rights and privileges and I will assert them if needed.

That is not hostility.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: *wood Gold

How would it be a different story? Would you then approve of the doctors and their staff doing nasty things to them - like forcing them to strip down so they could be seen naked, or fondling their balls, or squeezing their breasts?

It does not make one single bit of difference what a passenger's intents are when they go to the checkpoint - TSA is in a customer service role, and as such should train their agents on how to handle hostility with a smile and respect.

TSA should have a zero tolerance policy of rudeness toward passengers at the checkpoint - one "respect my authority" type incident should be enough to get a screener fired. There are always more pizza boxes to advertise on, and always more obese greasy haired zit faced pepperoni lovers to fill the vacated positions.

TSA's very actions today violate our rights. The courts have given TSA limited latitude to perform a minimally invasive search for WEI. They have gone way too far in their search for the non-existent "holy grail" terrorist. This, unto itself, should be sufficient ground for every American to be boiling mad when going through a checkpoint.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
he was just throwing in a bit of humor. most rational people appreciate that.
Sophomoric "humor" and useless information; so what else is new?

Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Sophomoric "humor" and useless information; so what else is new?

Perhaps it's time to write my Congresscritter again. Posts such as that from TSA represent a waste of taxpayer resources and provide no value to society at all. The organization exists to screen passengers for WEI, not to act as a poor stand-in for Leno or Letterman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.