Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Active-duty military may be "trusted travelers"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Active-duty military may be "trusted travelers"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jb_in_ma
Only if they present a valid, active duty Common Access Card.

Even though all of my jobs during my entire working career have been in support of the DoD and I thank all those who wear the uniform, there are those in the military that can become quite disenfranchised with their government and may be well trained to do something about it.....with negative consequences.

Equal, appropriate (and non-theatrical) screening for all...
Kippie stepped in it a few years ago when he set rules in place for his declaration that, "ID matters." Active uniformed service and federal civil servants tried to present CACs to Blacklight Bobs and Bettys who denied them because one or more of Kippie's criteria were not visible on the CAC. Under pressure from the DOD and the media, he relented.

Back on the main topic, here are a couple of thoughts:

1. Congress very rarely legislates specific operational criteria to federal agencies. When they take this step, it's a sign that they view a federal agency as so broken that Congress has to step in and become the program manager. When Congress becomes the program manager, they are worse than the executive branch managers. Telling an agency which programs are canceled and which are mandatory is one thing; telling the TSA who can be a "trusted traveler" is way down in the weeds.

2. Along the theme of Congress being a bad program manager, here are some unanswered questions in their bill:
  • Only on official business? How about the same GI on leave? Are they suddenly not trusted because they are taking some time off?
  • Will the TSA demand to review a copy of the GI's travel orders to verify they are on official travel? How will they determine that they are real? (You KNOW they will do this!)
  • How do you define "family member?" Do they have to possess a dependent ID card? Do they have to live with the GI? How about family members traveling alone to a military hospital in Germany to see their active duty family member who was wounded?
  • How about reserve, Guard, and retired members possessing the same CAC -- and THEIR familily members?

3. Given that Congress has taken this decision away from Pissy and left him with a lot of open issues, it will be up to the TSA to figure all this out. It will not end well.

4. The TSA will have no problem completely blowing off the 6-month suspense. From June onward, the focus will be on the election and nobody will care.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Under a bill currently in the House of Representatives:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011...-Security.html
This good article makes the valid point that exempting military from excessive screening would make the lines faster for everybody else.

Bruce
If we really were using "risk-based screening," then active duty members of the military would be screened _more_ intensively than the population on the whole, not less.

1.45MM active duty military.
Number who have committed terrorist acts in the US since 2000: 1

Total US population (non-military): 328MM
Number who have committed or attempted terrorist acts in the US since 2000: 21 (including 9/11, shoe bomber, underwear bomber)

So, if we're purely being "risk-based," active duty military are 10x more likely to attempt a terrorist act than a random sample of civilians in the US.

The real message of this is that the % of people who have attempted succeeded at terrorist acts is so vanishingly small that the resources being deployed to stop them are wildly disproportiate to the actual threat.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:34 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Everyone should go through the same screening to enter the sterile area. Walk through / hand held metal detector, x-ray of belongings and Explosive Trace Portal / Explosive Trace Detection.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Agreed

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Which will work really well for members of the active-duty military, who often deal with Really Dangerous Explosive Stuff on a regular basis ...
Then they need to have orders or other official documentation stating just that so if there is an alarm, it can be properly resolved as opposed to some TSO thinking he just made "the big catch"
Old Nov 30, 2011, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Then they need to have orders or other official documentation stating just that so if there is an alarm, it can be properly resolved as opposed to some TSO thinking he just made "the big catch"
Because, of course, we see how well it works right now when passengers present documentation to TSOs regarding passenger disabilities, or TSA's own policies on permitted items, or TSA's list of approved identity documents, or ...
Old Nov 30, 2011, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
[*]Only on official business? How about the same GI on leave? Are they suddenly not trusted because they are taking some time off?
[*]Will the TSA demand to review a copy of the GI's travel orders to verify they are on official travel? How will they determine that they are real? (You KNOW they will do this!)
That's similar to airline employees transiting the checkpoint in uniform to avoid the War On Water, Scope 'N Grope, etc. and then changing into civilian clothes in a sterile area restroom because they're non-reving.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by slh14
Would the TSA even be able to recognize members of the military?

My boyfriend flew out of GPT Halloween weekend. There were only two other people in the security line, one of whom was a soldier in full fatigues. There was a name plate on his uniform as well as on his camo bag he put through the x-ray. Unfortunately, the soldier forgot to remove his laptop which caused an "alarm". A TSO grabbed the bag, held it up and asked, "Whose is this?"
A camo bag in South Mississippi??? Could belong to any redneck who spends 3 hours sitting in a tree waiting for an unsuspecting deer to walk into a baited feeding area so he can blow it away and say he went "hunting"...
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by goalie
How do you verify those orders or other official documentation are real?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by alanR
How do you verify those orders or other official documentation are real?
They shine a black light on it, don't they?

What they're creating is a setup for a TDC accusing an active serviceman/woman of buying their uniform at a surplus store and forging their documents. Just watch them turn a procedure meant to improve things for the military turn into a way to humiliate them further.

But fundamentally, I agree that this is simply another divide-and-conquer technique. Stop hassling pilots and flight crew, and they stop complaining. Stop hassling (some) FF elites and they stop complaining. This is more of the same. As N965VJ said, everyone should go through the same (sensible) screening.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:02 am

Troops get special treatment at airport screening

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...oops-/575633/1

Don't get me wrong. I strongly support for the troops who were/are fighting for our country and others but why do they get special treatments at airport screening? That isn't right. You never know troops might smuggle illegal substance, weapons, or drugs .
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: DL MM, DL DM, Marriott PP
Divide et impera - Divide and rule (Julius Caesar)
One of the oldest tricks in the book. Create different entitlement groups and manipulate them any way you want.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
While I support our troops, they are human also and aren't all good. Just in the past few years there was the guy who shot up fort hood, the squad going off killing civilians in Afghanistan, among others. I don't feel l like devising a blanket pass for an entire group seems like a hugely bad idea.....
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by KDHawaii
Don't get me wrong. I strongly support for the troops who were/are fighting for our country and others but why do they get special treatments at airport screening? That isn't right. You never know troops might smuggle illegal substance, weapons, or drugs .
TSA says "identity matters". If identity really matters, one would think that members of the military, who have already been screened by our government and are trusted enough to defend us in times of war, would be trusted enough to pass through a TSA checkpoint without hassle.

Of course, it's not clear that identity really matters when it comes to security.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
You trust these guys to be properly trained to fire automatic weapons at people in time of war but you don't think they should get special treatment at airport security? Why do you think "it isn't right" to give them some special treatment? I don't see the purpose of hassling a soldier to untie all those heavy boot laces so I agree to allow them some special privileges. They'll still be screened for weapons/drugs. Not even the guy piloting the plane gets to skip the line altogether. All they're talking about is to put the soldiers at the head of the line and allow them to keep their shoes on, based on the article you linked. Can you really object to that?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by peachfront
Why do you think "it isn't right" to give them some special treatment?
I object to giving anybody special treatment - especially if it means allowing them to cut to the front of the line. Doing so implies an inequality among citizens, a special status granted upon them for no reason whatsoever.

If airlines and private businesses want to do this, that's one thing - and I support it there. If our government wants to do this, that's an entirely different matter. It violates the premise that all citizens should be treated as equals.

And for the record, I'd object to a government giving them special treatment under pretty much any other conditions as well. We don't allow people to line jump at the voting booth, at the DMV, at the post office... why should it be any different here? The answer is simple: it shouldn't.

I support our troops as much as you or anyone else, and believe that the equality of treatment bestowed upon us by our country's founding principles should apply in all situations controlled by the government.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:50 am

I agree with Drankin. We are HUMAN BEINGS. They(gov't) should treat us equally. The gov't should not give troops special treatments just because they're soldiers/troops. If the gov't give troops special treatment, why can't we get it? Also Like Drankin said, we don't allow ANYONE to line jump at the voting booth, grocery store, DMV, or register for classes.

Last edited by KDHawaii; Dec 1, 2011 at 9:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.