Wiki Posts
Search

How do Canada and Mexico compare?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
All major Canadian airports have body scanners now, no distinction between destination. All still have WTMDs and you can choose which you want BUT can be directed to the scanner by random (machine) selection. Opt-out works the same without the patronizing or retaliation.
They may have body scanners but not everywhere. At YUL for instance, there are separate domestic, trans-border and international concourses and secure areas. Last month, there was not a single body scanner in the YUL trans-border security area. ^

All you TSA-haters can yap all you want, but CATSA is no better. Add in the ridiculous Canadian obsession with scanning your Boarding Pass at least 4 times between check-in and the YUL trans-border concourse (sorry, I meant duty-free store which you must walk thru to get to the concourse) and I'd take TSA over CATSA ("are you carrying any liquids sir?"), even with NEXUS letting me jump the queue.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by SFO777
Last month, there was not a single body scanner in the YUL trans-border security area. ^
Next time look to your left, they're definitely there.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: meh
Add in the ridiculous Canadian obsession with scanning your Boarding Pass at least 4 times between check-in and the YUL trans-border concourse (sorry, I meant duty-free store which you must walk thru to get to the concourse) and I'd take TSA over CATSA ("are you carrying any liquids sir?"), even with NEXUS letting me jump the queue.
I inquired directly to CATSA and had a phone conversation about some of my experiences at checkpoints. First, they said that the multiple scanning of the boarding pass is actually used to measure the wait times that are being experienced so that they can adjust staffing levels to better manage peak usage of the airport.

Second, actually filing an online complaint with CATSA does not see that complaint getting filed in the garbage. I've had two callbacks and one email conversation about problems/concerns that I've had with the system. Both phone conversations were constructive and some changes were seen as a result of them.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:21 am

Mexico

Was flying out of MTY behind a group of non Spanish speaking Americans. They INSISTED on removing their shoes to put them through the x-ray. The looks of disgust and bafflement on the faces of everyone that had to be exposed to their bare feet and nasty shoes was priceless. Sheep, no matter the pasture.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Canada separates US-bound and non-US-bound passengers. Non-US bound security has no full body scanners, shoe removal or other nonsense (at least until the last time I flew from there, maybe a year ago). The interesting thing is that flying from Canada to South America involves extensive hours over US airspace, but leaving shoes on is OK. And those planes don´t fall out of the sky either...
Actually, that is incorrect. MMW nude-o-scopes are at domestic checkpoints in Canada as well.

Originally Posted by igloocoder
I inquired directly to CATSA and had a phone conversation about some of my experiences at checkpoints. First, they said that the multiple scanning of the boarding pass is actually used to measure the wait times that are being experienced so that they can adjust staffing levels to better manage peak usage of the airport.

Second, actually filing an online complaint with CATSA does not see that complaint getting filed in the garbage. I've had two callbacks and one email conversation about problems/concerns that I've had with the system. Both phone conversations were constructive and some changes were seen as a result of them.
I had a very similar experience after I had my prescription toothpaste stolen from me by the CATSA/Garda people at YYZ transborder, who were aided by the Peel Regional Police. CATSA in Ottawa were very responsive and kept me updated.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
Actually, that is incorrect. MMW nude-o-scopes are at domestic checkpoints in Canada as well.
Maybe they moved it from trans-border security.
I do remember it there at one time, but unless it was waaay left and not being used that day, I didn't see one.

Originally Posted by igloocoder
Interesting. I guess it is one way to track time but after a couple of weeks, what more can one learn.
At YUL they are easy and pretty predictable.
Early morning (especially Mondays and winter Saturdays): Busy
The rest of the day: Dead to not very busy
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:02 am

Interesting. I guess it is one way to track time but after a couple of weeks, what more can one learn.
I would gladly show my BP 3-4 times to avoid
- screaming, barking, insulting comments
- being able to pass through security in either of the official languages of Canada, of my choosing
- not having to remove my shoes except for transborder flights
- being forced to endure a pat down simply for the 'crime' of wearing a skirt even though I didn't alarm the WTMD
- being ordered to remove all outer AND inner layers of clothing down to a camisole (numerous times)
- very low chance of being selected to for a scanner
- automated process for scanner selection (when it is in use)
- being treated respectfully if I do decline the scanner
- having a very basic pat down which doesn't include hands in waistband, hands in underwear, hands up skirt, hands touching genitals

One really cannot compare CATSA to TSA. Yes, there is the occassional bad apple, but like others when something did happen, I had follow up and resolution. In my case when a new trainee chastised me for 'having to learn to pack better' after he tossed my hard drive several metres, it was dealt with on the spot, and I was treated very well. I contrast that to when similar things happen with TSA, and how their supervisors tend to cover for them and side with them.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exbayern
I would gladly show my BP 3-4 times to avoid
- screaming, barking, insulting comments
- being able to pass through security in either of the official languages of Canada, of my choosing
- not having to remove my shoes except for transborder flights
- being forced to endure a pat down simply for the 'crime' of wearing a skirt even though I didn't alarm the WTMD
- being ordered to remove all outer AND inner layers of clothing down to a camisole (numerous times)
- very low chance of being selected to for a scanner
- automated process for scanner selection (when it is in use)
- being treated respectfully if I do decline the scanner
- having a very basic pat down which doesn't include hands in waistband, hands in underwear, hands up skirt, hands touching genitals

One really cannot compare CATSA to TSA. Yes, there is the occassional bad apple, but like others when something did happen, I had follow up and resolution. In my case when a new trainee chastised me for 'having to learn to pack better' after he tossed my hard drive several metres, it was dealt with on the spot, and I was treated very well. I contrast that to when similar things happen with TSA, and how their supervisors tend to cover for them and side with them.
Sorry, but in more than 150 domestic segments this year, I have never experienced anything remotely close to what you are talking about.
Then again, I suspect that one's attitude at security goes a long way to affecting the response and thus one's experience.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:12 am

Sorry, but in more than 150 domestic segments this year, I have never experienced anything remotely close to what you are talking about.
Then again, I suspect that one's attitude at security goes a long way to affecting the response and thus one's experience.
Do you carry a non-North American passport? Are you female? Do you have physical limitations? Do you wear a skirt to fly?

All of those things can have an impact on how one is treated, even when one is quiet and polite as I am at the checkpoint. I have also listed my 'non-remarkable' experiences here over the years in the interest of fairness, but the remarkable ones are what makes a difference.

The fact that you haven't had a negative TSA experience doesn't negate the fact that others have. I used to think like you, and that it was all the fault of the passenger, until I found myself being at the receiving end of the bad behaviour over and over and over again.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exbayern
Do you carry a non-North American passport?
How does your nationality matter? After the ID/doc check, no one knows or cares about your nationality.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:44 am

How does your nationality matter? After the ID/doc check, no one knows or cares about your nationality.
Presenting a form of ID unfamiliar to some TDCs can result it in being rejected. There are numerous experiences of that here.

Not speaking/understanding American English, or the inability to pronounce one's name in the way the TDC/BDO feels is the 'correct' way, can result in a negative experience.

I've seen and experienced myself many times at SFO, and I have also had many unremarkable experiences at SFO.

Again, YOUR personal experiences are not necessarily reflect of the experience of others.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dbltap
Was flying out of MTY behind a group of non Spanish speaking Americans. They INSISTED on removing their shoes to put them through the x-ray. The looks of disgust and bafflement on the faces of everyone that had to be exposed to their bare feet and nasty shoes was priceless. Sheep, no matter the pasture.
You mean, the airport just 6-7 hours by bus from San Antonio, Texas? With nonstop flights to seven major US cities (including LAS, ORD, DTW and ATL) and connections to the world via MEX?

That would be the non Scope-or-Grope option for the entire southeast US. Freedom!
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:56 pm

First, the ID checker gets to chose what line you get, and non-US passports lead to whole body scanner lines with very high probability.

Second, the screener may not know I´m foreign for sure, but there are many, many reasons for them to single me out. I don´t look like most americans in attitude, clothing, hair, makeup, foreign carier tags on luggage, etc. It may not even be concious, but that surely leads to an increase in their "suspitious until proven innocent" attitude.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: QF WP, DM buyer, AMEX Centurion decliner
In Australia security is limited to a WTMD and you only have to remove your shoes if they contain enough metal to set off the WTMD. Same in HKG but they also hand search your carry-on at the gate.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First, the ID checker gets to chose what line you get, and non-US passports lead to whole body scanner lines with very high probability.
It's hard to tell what actual real word travel experience you have, since the sum total of your contribution to FT appears to be in this Travel Safety/Security forum, but in over 100 security events this year, except for being directed to the Trusted Traveler security area, not a single ID checker told me what line to go to. One either follows the herd or picks the line one wants to go to.

Second, the screener may not know I´m foreign for sure, but there are many, many reasons for them to single me out. I don´t look like most americans in attitude, clothing, hair, makeup, foreign carier tags on luggage, etc. It may not even be concious, but that surely leads to an increase in their "suspitious until proven innocent" attitude.
Yeah right. One can only hope that someday we would have the spine to profile as you suggest actually occurs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.