Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

"M'am, you have to do what I tell you to do." My experience at ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"M'am, you have to do what I tell you to do." My experience at ORD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
sure... all I see now is the following:

passenger arrives and opts out. gets asked to stand near the machine. tso either doesn't realize this or doesn't appreciate the op's concern. supervisor is called and agrees with op. op can move and stand in different place.

simple mistake or (completely innocent) lack of appreciation by the tso.

problem solved.

there is no evidence of punishment or retribution.

most productive output of this situation is that tso officer may now be aware of the sensitivites of some pax in this situation and in future will allow pax to stand away from the machine.
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
The passenger was treated rudely.

The passenger was placed in a position in which she was uncomfortable with the closeness of the scanner, the belt and passengers moving past her.

Yes, the passenger may have been emotional in her response to the TSO, but he was unsympathetic to her concerns.

The supervisor mediated the situation effectively.

See, we can discuss this without insulting the OP.
A passenger arrives and opts out. Said passenger gets asked to stand near the machine. The passenger was placed in a position in which he/she was uncomfortable with the closeness of the scanner, the belt and passengers moving past him/her.

The passenger thinks he/she was treated rudely. The TSO either doesn't realize this or doesn't appreciate the op's concern. [Not everyone has the same level of sensitivity to or idea of what constitutes rudeness.]

The supervisor mediated the situation in favor of the passenger.

There is no objective evidence of punishment or retribution even though the passenger may feel otherwise.

Probable lessons learned:

OP: TSOs and TSA is as bad as or worse than originally thought.
TSO: Do my job as best I can because I have myself to feed, clothe, house and otherwise provide for a decent lifestyle.

We can discuss this without insulting the OP or placing blame on the TSO/TSA when we only have one side of the story.

Last edited by MIT_SBM; Nov 19, 2011 at 5:21 pm
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
Sure, if standing next to an non-independently tested radiation machine that may or may not be exposing the OP to an unnecessary dose of radiation by simply standing to it is no problem, then I guess you are right.

Didn't the problem solved come after the op was allowed to move? So the op would not be standing next to an non-independently tested radiation machine that may or may not be exposing the op to an unnecessary dose of radiation by simply standing to it as the op had moved to a position of the op's own choosing.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
Sure, if standing next to an non-independently tested radiation machine that may or may not be exposing the OP to an unnecessary dose of radiation by simply standing to it is no problem, then I guess you are right.

yes - the problem of standing next to the machine was solved because supervisor intervened and said ok to move.

the TSO is now aware that pax can stand in another place so that has been solved too. Shame it had to happen to the OP, but in future that TSO knows passengers can request to move.

We can't actually undo the OP standing next to the machine. That has happened and is in the past.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
We can't actually undo the OP standing next to the machine. That has happened and is in the past.
Which is cold comfort to those of us who have had to stand next to the machine (while others are going through it) until a supervisor arrived to let us move (which happened to me at PHX T4 about a month ago).

But what's a few unnecessary exposures to radiation amongst friends, I guess.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
Didn't the problem solved come after the op was allowed to move? So the op would not be standing next to an non-independently tested radiation machine that may or may not be exposing the op to an unnecessary dose of radiation by simply standing to it as the op had moved to a position of the op's own choosing.
Except that the OP was expected to stand next to the machine. How many other travelers would have to stand next to the machine waiting for an "assist" to be pat down thus exposing them to radiation?

Good grief. Even my dentist flees the room and stands on the other side of the wall before taking x-rays of my teeth.

This isn't rocket science.

Well, I guess to the hired-from-a-pizza box TSOs, it actually is rocket science.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
skin color or any other physical attribute plays no part in this story and it's is very sad that people have to resort to that to garner support for an otherwise weak case.

and those that continually insult the intelligence of others, for not being a rhodes scholar for example... I just don't get it. attack the idea, not the person.

that's the truly intelligent way of winning an argument. guess some people on here haven't figured that out yet...
Perhaps there were undertones of racism in the OP's account, or sexism or fattism. I don't know nor do I care.

If you think the average TSO worker is at the high end of the intelligence bell curve, I'm not going to disabuse you.

Go wag your finger somewhere else.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Perhaps there were undertones of racism in the OP's account, or sexism or fattism. I don't know nor do I care.

If you think the average TSO worker is at the high end of the intelligence bell curve, I'm not going to disabuse you.

Go wag your finger somewhere else.
Good advice, Wally Bird! My gramma (God rest her soul) always told me, "If you ever find yourself pointing your finger at someone else, just remember this: There are three other fingers pointing back at you!" My gramma was a very wise woman.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:28 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
During most of my (frequent) opt-outs, I'm not satisfied with the place I am instructed to stand. (This is generally because I can't see my property on the belt, which is the same reason I won't go in there to being with.)

My solution is to simply stand in the place that I deem most appropriate. When the TSO balks, I simply tell them why I am standing there (without making eye contact, as I am watching my property on the belt). They're usually cool with that, but when they object, I simply don't care and refuse to negotiate on the point. They realize that despite their badge, they actually have no power to do anything about it. They generally give up there, and I always stand my ground until collected by the frisker.

So my advice to all is just to stand where you want, and if the TSO doesn't like it, tough titties for them. Stand your ground.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:56 am

Thinking around this thread a bit, as much as I am troubled by what happened to the OP, I think I am even more troubled by the fact that most of the TSOs give DHS and the TSA carte blanche regarding the veracity of the safety of the scanners.

There's no independent confirmation the machines are safe and the DHS won't allow TSOs to wear dosimeters. If I were a TSO, I would be exceptionally suspicious if my employer kept giving me the "just trust me" line instead of showing me independent confirmation the machines were safe or, at least, have a tool available that could determine if I was getting a dose of unnecessary radiation every time a traveler was scanned.

I guess people want to believe their employers, but I am genuinely concerned that in the next 10 years, we ware going to hear stories about TSO suffering health effects from machines that leaked radiation.

I said before and I will say again, there is a very good reason why your dentist puts a lead apron on you and leaves the room before he or she turns on the Xray machine to film your teeth.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:45 am

The passenger was treated rudely.

The passenger was placed in a position in which she was uncomfortable with the closeness of the scanner, the belt and passengers moving past her.

Yes, the passenger may have been emotional in her response to the TSO, but he was unsympathetic to her concerns.

The supervisor mediated the situation effectively.

See, we can discuss this without insulting the OP.

I can abbreviate OPs story even further....

Went to fly.
Got TSA'd.
Hated it.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL 2.945MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by andymo99
During most of my (frequent) opt-outs, I'm not satisfied with the place I am instructed to stand. (This is generally because I can't see my property on the belt, which is the same reason I won't go in there to being with.)

My solution is to simply stand in the place that I deem most appropriate. When the TSO balks, I simply tell them why I am standing there (without making eye contact, as I am watching my property on the belt). They're usually cool with that, but when they object, I simply don't care and refuse to negotiate on the point. They realize that despite their badge, they actually have no power to do anything about it. They generally give up there, and I always stand my ground until collected by the frisker.

So my advice to all is just to stand where you want, and if the TSO doesn't like it, tough titties for them. Stand your ground.
Agree 100%!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by andymo99

Yep, that's my plan. It's worked every time.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:08 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by patom
Agree 100%!
Yep, that's my plan. It's worked every time.
Yes, it is rather amusing when the TSO realizes that you realize that they have no actual power to make you do what they want. They are just used to people who "respect their authori-tay."

Flying out of BOS tomorrow... looking forward to my interview... need to concoct my entertaining narrative.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
How To Describe tsa Agent?

IF a description of a tsa agent is used HOW should it be?

IF he is male,black & overweight should you instead use: ebony complexion and
weighty for size??? And should Male be "appeared masculine"?

If someone on this forum chooses to describe a tsa agent for the benefit of others who may frequent that airport and who treated them incorrectly and which a Supervisor needed to correct their method of work.........do we need to worry about semantics for the relief of others who read into the report what they percieve as possible racism, bigotry or discrimination?

NOT FOR ME! NO, not for me!

Last edited by bajajoes; Nov 27, 2011 at 4:52 pm Reason: sp.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Priority Platinum, National Executive
Flying out in the AM tomorrow. I will not walk in the box, I will not walk through the box, and I will not stand in proximity to the box while others pass through (activating the box). I will take a stand in front of the box -- where no one else can pass and the box can not operate -- and wait for the junk groper to arrive before moving around the box to the frisk area...that is my plan. One, I will not be irradiated -- and two, the junk groper will arrive more quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.