Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Scientific American: Europe Bans X-Ray Body Scanners Used at U.S. Airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scientific American: Europe Bans X-Ray Body Scanners Used at U.S. Airports

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Thumbs up Scientific American: Europe Bans X-Ray Body Scanners Used at U.S. Airports

Here's a very useful link:

This article is extremely useful because of the reputation of the magazine it is published in.

I will be loudly referring to it the next time I'm in a security line. There are many ways to cite it when interacting with other passengers and uniformed TSA employees.... for example:

To other passengers: "Those lines leads to the cancer machines, which I read about in Scientific American magazine. Those machines are actually banned in Europe, so I avoid them by taking this line, which leads to the magnetic detector.

To TSOs: "No offense intended, but when it comes to science, I chose to believe Scientific American magazine more than an airport security screener!"

^ Scientific American magazine!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
To TSOs: "No offense intended, but when it comes to science, I chose to believe Scientific American magazine more than an airport security screener!"
What do you mean? The average TSO supposedly has two weeks of extremely intense training. I'm sure that includes a few minutes on radiology and physiology, which easily qualifies them as much as those people with their fancy degrees. In fact, I fully trust everything a government employee tells me, because if history has taught us anything it is that government employees always tell us the truth and look out for our best interests above all else.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Europe can be overcautious with things like this (try finding Monsanto corn on the Continent) but on this one I agree.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:35 am

I assume this includes England. Isn't LHR using them as a primary? (Or do they use MMR?)
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:49 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by aviators99
I assume this includes England. Isn't LHR using them as a primary? (Or do they use MMR?)
Backscatter, no opt-out.

Refusal to be irradiated and peeped at = no flying for you that day.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
And in LiveScience:

http://www.livescience.com/17066-eur...-concerns.html

"In the next three years, the TSA plans to install an X-ray or millimeter-wave scanner at nearly every airport security checkpoint in the country."
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Backscatter, no opt-out.

So, are they now included in this ban?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
So, are they now included in this ban?
They should be prohibited as soon as this ban becomes EU law, if it isn't already.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
They should be prohibited as soon as this ban becomes EU law, if it isn't already.
Right-on, Spiff!! ^^^ US president should be prohibited all bodyscanners at US Airports. They will eventually to removable all bodyscanners from airports.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 9:31 am

^^ and a big toe.

I'm curious, due to ignorance on the EU legal structure. How does this apply to the UK? They seem to be in the EU for some things and not for others.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
No. Secondary/random only.
Backscatter, no opt-out.

Some terminals are MMW; I speak from personal direct experience of same
2nd December, to be precise.
Originally Posted by ScatterX
I'm curious, due to ignorance on the EU legal structure. How does this apply to the UK? They seem to be in the EU for some things and not for others.
There are several "things" that are conflated with the EU that really just coincidentally happen to involve mostly EU countries.

The UK is in the EU and the regulation banning BKSX and mandating opt-out for MMW has direct effect in all EU countries. The UK does not, however, use the euro currency, which is used by around half of the EU countries and an assortment of non-EU countries, and is not signed up to the "Schengen agreement", which is a common passport/visa agreement between several EU and a couple of non-EU countries.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by stifle
2nd December, to be precise.
Really? Where did you find out for which the those date is that? When EU will bans the bodyscanners all EU/U.K airports? When they will sign it into new EU laws? This should be prohibited all bodyscanners and that's won't be necessary go into the scanners.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Check out this thread; I'm on a mobile so reposting everything would be awkward.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 6:25 am

Sign the petition to stop the use if X-Ray body scanners

http://www.change.org/petitions/tsa-...at-us-airports
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:33 am

After implementation of this rule, are opt-outs allowed on all flights out of AMS now?

Any update on any change in policies in the UK, and their backscatters/no-opt-outs?

Looked around for a current thread on this and haven't found one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.