Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA remark about Flyertalk in CO/United area @ DTW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA remark about Flyertalk in CO/United area @ DTW

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by Michael El
Where can I get an FT tag?
Send a note to SanDiego1k, FT's Community Director. Once you get a tag, be sure to post your "sightings" of other FTers here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...d-threads.html
Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Since I started to proudly use the tags, I have gotten exactly zero comments from TSA folks. My treatment is neither better nor worse than it was before.

However, I have had people on the plane and at the hotel ask about it, and I was able to give a referrals to the web site.

As much as we focus on the TSA in these two forums, there is a great wealth of info in other places as well. I am not embarrassed at all to point people to FlyerTalk. It has made my travel experience much better.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by dan1431
The agent said that they were warned about Fter's as they hate the TSA and want nothing more than to see another failure of security or worse.
Well, you can make an argument for the first half of the sentence, anyway. Just as we draw conclusions about TSA based on their most egregious / brutal / nonsensical actions, it is easy to draw conclusions about FT based on our most extreme voices.

I began keeping the TS/S forum at arm's length after reading a long, deranged argument in favor of using social pressure to drive TSOs to commit suicide -- an idea eagerly endorsed by multiple FTers. In another recent case a perhaps not very wise TSO gave a quote to a hometown newspaper some here found offensive. FTers Googled her, invaded her open Facebook page, discovered she was a part-time Avon lady or Mary Kay rep or something, and wrote to that other employer demanding that she be fired.

This is not rational behavior or discussion. It is crazed and it is not rare. Like it or not it defines FT in general and this forum in particular. I understand the TSA point of view about FT completely.

As for the second half of the sentence -- FTers "want nothing more than to see another failure of security or worse" -- I agree that I see no appetite here for another 9/11. But there has been plenty of sentiment for less or no security. There have been plenty of vainglorious, chin-quivering mini-essays from posters claiming they would rather die in a terror incident than submit to TSA protocols. (I remember one that got a lot of thumbs-up attaboys that ended with the writer perishing stoically in an imagined fireball and concluding: "It did not matter. I was free.") A casual reader might easily conclude we were, if not rooting for more chaos, at least prefer it to TSA-style security.

If we tolerate extremism in our public discussions we all have to be prepared to be identified with it.

Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors
As a long-time TS/S and United Airlines forum lurker, I have to confess that I would be embarrassed to affix a FlyerTalk tag onto my bag(s)... I can honestly say I would be embarrassed to introduce myself as a FlyerTalker to someone to an airline or even the TSA.

After reading some of the truly laughable "first-hand accounts" of some FlyerTalkers on this board, I often think to myself "who thinks this crap up?" and would I want to be associated in any way with this kind of person or people? Not a chance.
Reluctantly I have to agree with you, simply because I don't want to have to defend the lunatic-fringe FTer POV. I disagree that FTers "think crap up" on a regular basis, but the accounts are often tilted to cast TSA in the worst possible light. The irony is that the truth will do just fine without the purple-rage spin so often thrown in here.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
Originally Posted by raehl311
Iwe could just eliminate all security entirely and have planes work like trains, but then we'd have a lot more planes crashing into things.
Really? I'd like an explanation for anything the TSA has done to prevent planes from crashing into things. To my knowledge, planes have not crashed into things for 2 reasons:
1. Hardened and locked cockpit doors
2. Passengers no longer compliant with terrorists.

The security checkpoint has not been responsible for either of these items.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:59 pm

My view on the TSA and the rules are regs is simple, I do not like some (nay much of it) and yes some employees of the TSA can power trip, however, most times it is mundane and I follow the rules and regs (even the ones I do not like) because I have to if I want to travel by air (or rail sometimes).

When I opt-out and I am questioned my answer is simple, I am not convinced about the safety of the AIT and as long as the rules allow for me to opt-out I will. If the day comes where opting-out is not longer allowed I will utilize the machine (or travel by some other means which does not require passing through a TSA Checkpoint) because I have to not because I like to. IMHO that should be okay with the TSA, I do not have to like the agency, its people or its rules and regs but I have to respect their employees and follow the rules and regs, it is just that simple.

Dan
Old Nov 8, 2011, 6:08 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by exbayern
If TSA leadership reads here, I would hope that this thread would lead to some internal investigation and training.
I would not be surprised if the attitude comes from the higher-ups. IF so, then you may find that an investigation results in commendation (based on my experiences with other government agencies).

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Agreed. It speaks volumes (assuming it's true) that TSA has a training powerpoint slide somewhere that needs to demonize FT'ers and turn us into the enemy. it's enough that they demonize the flying public and treat us all like the enemy. And then invent a special section of Hades for FT'ers.
All citizens should be treated in a similar manner.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors
Thank you for your post.

As a long-time TS/S and United Airlines forum lurker, I have to confess that I would be embarrassed to affix a FlyerTalk tag onto my bag(s).

About three years ago, I was in a line at a Chicago RCC. The reason there was a line was because someone was arguing about drink tickets. From what I gathered, this person was in F to Canada, thinking he was entitled to drink tickets (which was not the case). Noticed on this person's rollaboard an FT tag. Even though I knew neither of the people involved, I was thoroughly embarrassed to be a FlyerTalker.

I have had discussions with some United people about experiences with people who sound like FlyerTalkers. Those conversations reinforced my commitment to staying thoroughly anonymous. I can honestly say I would be embarrassed to introduce myself as a FlyerTalker to someone to an airline or even the TSA.
I don't want to go too far OT, but I have both a FT and MP tag on my bag. I have never received a rude comment from anyone but, by seeing the tags on other people's bags, I have gotten to meet in person some of the people that I have only seen post on here. Almost without exception, they have been quite delightful.

I understand that FT, like the rest of the world, has its share of DYKWIAs. And I also realize that, like our experiences at the TSA, the bad things stand out more than the good ones, so many in industry, including both the TSA and the airline employees, have negative impressions. But I have never, at least knowingly, experienced pejorative behavior because of it and I have been happy to direct curious passengers to the site.

Mike
Old Nov 12, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Well, I visit FlyerTalk and the fondness I feel about the TSA is somewhere between a hemorrhoid and Kathy Griffin.

That doesn't mean I am any more or less of a security threat than anyone else.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Reminder, warning etc.

This is really moving into discussion territory,so I am closing the thread and requesting it be moved to the debate forum. Thanks

squeakr

co Mod TS/S
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by dranz
Yes, TSA at DTW is very aware of FT. I removed my FT luggage tag after
one of them commented about it on the shuttle bus.
DTW has possibly the rudest, most arrogant, and unprofessional TSA staff that i have ever encountered. i would have told them that if they wanted to know why FT "hated" them then they should look in the mirror.

i HATE dealing with TSA at DTW. they are a perfect example of why that agnecy needs to be eliminated.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:59 pm

Hatred of TSA is the main reason for me joining.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
To clear up any confusion, I think I need to make something perfectly clear.

While I certainly do not represent FT or any other FTers, I can plainly say that I personally hate and despise the TSA with a passion fueled by a thousand suns.

If that rubs the TSA types at DTW the wrong way, I can only assure them that I couldn't care less.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev

While I certainly do not represent FT or any other FTers, I can plainly say that I personally hate and despise the TSA with a passion fueled by a thousand suns.

If that rubs the TSA types at DTW the wrong way, I can only assure them that I couldn't care less.
+1
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle

+2

Bruce
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: *wood Gold

+3, from my now-back-to-flying-for-work self...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.