FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA remark about Flyertalk in CO/United area @ DTW
Old Nov 8, 2011, 6:55 am
mikeef
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors
Thank you for your post.

As a long-time TS/S and United Airlines forum lurker, I have to confess that I would be embarrassed to affix a FlyerTalk tag onto my bag(s).

About three years ago, I was in a line at a Chicago RCC. The reason there was a line was because someone was arguing about drink tickets. From what I gathered, this person was in F to Canada, thinking he was entitled to drink tickets (which was not the case). Noticed on this person's rollaboard an FT tag. Even though I knew neither of the people involved, I was thoroughly embarrassed to be a FlyerTalker.

I have had discussions with some United people about experiences with people who sound like FlyerTalkers. Those conversations reinforced my commitment to staying thoroughly anonymous. I can honestly say I would be embarrassed to introduce myself as a FlyerTalker to someone to an airline or even the TSA.
I don't want to go too far OT, but I have both a FT and MP tag on my bag. I have never received a rude comment from anyone but, by seeing the tags on other people's bags, I have gotten to meet in person some of the people that I have only seen post on here. Almost without exception, they have been quite delightful.

I understand that FT, like the rest of the world, has its share of DYKWIAs. And I also realize that, like our experiences at the TSA, the bad things stand out more than the good ones, so many in industry, including both the TSA and the airline employees, have negative impressions. But I have never, at least knowingly, experienced pejorative behavior because of it and I have been happy to direct curious passengers to the site.

Mike