Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Rep. Mica Attacks TSA 'Chat-Downs' As 'Idiotic'; WBI and Patdowns: High Failure Rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rep. Mica Attacks TSA 'Chat-Downs' As 'Idiotic'; WBI and Patdowns: High Failure Rate

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Congress can reveal classified information -- whether it should or not, whether it is lawful or not, that depends on a variety of things. [It has before, repeatedly at that, revealed classified information, with the irony being that those with Executive service affiliation remain unable to go on the open record to legally confirm the specifics about the revelations which have taken place.]

Since Congress has the power to make laws and to establish or eliminate penalties for a variety of things, it also has the de facto power to de-classify classified information too. I expect we'd have yet more fights heading to the federal courts if it were to fully exercise such power under explicit Congressional action.
There's more to it than that, including the fact that the administration can revoke the security clearance of a member of Congress, meaning that said member will no longer have access to classified info. It doesn't happen more often (either disclosure or revocation of clearances) because of the utter embarrassment each side will suffer in the media.

The real irony was the fallout from Wikileaks - where holders of security clearances were told that they could not read the documents that were public - even from home computers - because they might lose their clearances.....
Old Oct 28, 2011, 6:31 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Do their responses indicate "happy"? Or do they simply indicate that the airlines are not unhappy enough to push for change, out of either fear of reprisals, fear of bad press, fear of customer migration, or whatever else they may fear?

Could be either. Or both.
Certainly it's possible that the airlines have the concerns you indicate.

With regard to "happy", the emails I've gotten essentially say (paraphrasing, of course, with my own words), "security is under the authority of the TSA, and we need security; whether your family buys tickets or not from us is just not an issue for us, although we're 'sorry' to hear that they won't be."
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: SSSSS
Airlines are quite happy with TSA. They escaped 9/11 liability with e creation of TSA as they did what they were told to do in the situation then: cooperate. Now, we know what we should have always known: hijackers and pirates are evil people and some of them will kill us if they can.

The change in paradigm is known. The airlines have responded. The threat is now so marginalized with respect to airlines that TSA/DHS has created truckstop charlies andq VIPR pits to pretend they are not obsolete.

Balance the federal budget by eliminating TSA, restoring responsibility and liability to the private sector where it belongs and we will see effective and appropriate security access to airlines.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:12 pm
Suspended

the federal budget couldn't be balanced by eliminating the TSA
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by OxonCantab
the federal budget couldn't be balanced by eliminating the TSA
Nope, but a billion here and a billion there and pretty soon you are talking real money.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by greentips
Airlines are quite happy with TSA. They escaped 9/11 liability with e creation of TSA....

Balance the federal budget by eliminating TSA
When I state the fact that airlines (and airports) avoid liability with TSA in place, is it either rejected or ignored. So good luck to your statement.

Regarding the TSA budget, you give it way too much credit.

And you know very well that all government agencies are encouraged to spend the entire amount of monies allocated to them instead of trying to cut cost and return such saving to the tax payer. Our fiscal problem will have to become much worse before anyone - Congress, the President, the Public - will be willing to do anything about it. The mindset of how our country spends money is deeply entrenched.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by SATTSO

And you know very well that all government agencies are encouraged to spend the entire amount of monies allocated to them instead of trying to cut cost and return such saving to the tax payer. Our fiscal problem will have to become much worse before anyone - Congress, the President, the Public - will be willing to do anything about it. The mindset of how our country spends money is deeply entrenched.
During college, I had a job with the National Park Service as a seasonal (summer and holidays) park ranger. I was given a uniform allowance during each period, even though there were plenty of supplies in the uniform lockers. I was told to use the whole thing since, if I didn't, the park wouldn't be given the money the following year.

On the plus side, 20 years later, I still have the boots and gloves.

Mike
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
During college, I had a job with the National Park Service as a seasonal (summer and holidays) park ranger. I was given a uniform allowance during each period, even though there were plenty of supplies in the uniform lockers. I was told to use the whole thing since, if I didn't, the park wouldn't be given the money the following year.

On the plus side, 20 years later, I still have the boots and gloves.

Mike
Now imagine this at EVERY government agency, not just for uniforms, but for office supplies, money for rent/lease, money for transportation, heavy equipment, vehicles, gas, and on and on and on....

What? We are in debt? I can't imagine why?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Completely serious question: what does it take for any of these guys to DO something?
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
What does it take? In short: 218 members of the House of Representatives, 51 members of the Senate, and the President of the United States.
Let's be fair -- President Obama has done something. He has given TSA screeners the right to unionize.

This will unquestionably help in getting rid of the worst of the screeners.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Now imagine this at EVERY government agency, not just for uniforms, but for office supplies, money for rent/lease, money for transportation, heavy equipment, vehicles, gas, and on and on and on....

What? We are in debt? I can't imagine why?
I think anyone who has worked for government understands what is going on budget wise. TSA on the other hand has purchased items without doing even the most basic testing to validate the items and later just tossed them into the trash. With the puffers TSA bought around 200 of the units and left most of them in the warehouse. Another report I have seen recently commented on TSA having so much gear that has never been placed in the field that their warehouses are filled to capacity. TSA while no expert on airport screening certainly seems well qualified in government waste.

Now the US financial situation is far graver than what many people understand. Social Security is an empty bubble. Federal spending is outpacing the tax rolls. The impact on Obamacare is still unknown but likely to be a severe burden on the average working person.

Many financial institutions of one kind or another are in serious trouble and are only being shored up with federal dollars.

All of us may see and experience a financial disasters unlike this country has ever had unless spending is brought under control and even then that might not be enough. If such should happen TSA as it is now will be gone so fast you will be surprised at how quickly those congress persons who survive being replaced will act.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Which is why I want a checkpoint that can detect a gun or a traditional bomb that nutjob would bring to the airplane!
Planes are safe.

The lines are the danger spots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.