Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Canadian Airport screening changes set to be revealed tomorrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Airport screening changes set to be revealed tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, AA PLT, UA 2P
Post Canadian Airport screening changes set to be revealed tomorrow

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/travel/...181/story.html

Looks promising, but as with all things, the implementation needs to match the promise. If all they do is open the floodgates to NEXUS without improving the atrocious infrastructure supporting it, they will only end up alienating the same frequent flyers they're trying to appease.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"More opportunities for Canadian travellers to obtain NEXUS cards," how can that mean anything?

Anyone can apply, and I would not expect that they would lower the requirements from a security standpoint?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Perhaps one of the CBSA officers will be stationed inside the TB area at major airports to peddle Nexus cards like the credit card companies do with their lame Air Miles CCs?

Seriously, by "changes" I wouldn't expect any (good) change other than Nexus lanes at TB checkpoints.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
Several months ago I read an article in USA TODAY about select US airports setting up dedicated domestic security lines for Global Entry members. I remember Dallas being one trial airport. I can't remember the others. I wonder if someday Nexus members (as we can already use Global Entry) will qualify as well. Now THAT would be an improvement!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Perhaps it means more offices to sign up for NEXUS or no long waiting for appointments (maybe you can sign up at the airport and put your biometrics in place).

Or... big speculation...

What if next time you go through US pre-clearance, you can do a retinal scan/fingerprint and get signed up?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:21 pm

it would be nice if it meant I could sign up. My own country will issue me a passport but won't let me sign up for Nexus but Britain was happy to sign me up to IRIS as a visitor. ...?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
It's smoke and mirrors. Anybody can apply for a NEXUS card, as you can pass the security checks, and pay the money.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
Originally Posted by yul36
It's smoke and mirrors. Anybody can apply for a NEXUS card, as you can pass the security checks, and pay the money.

Nexus doesn't allow anyone to pass security checks. Unless the Garda have suspicions about a Nexus card holder, it simply means less scrutiny - read: no nude-arama. Still have to submit all carry-ons to xray and enter through the metal detector.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by nowinyow
Unless the Garda have suspicions about a Nexus card holder
Please don't use the term "the Garda"... you might confuse the Dubliner who posted in this thread.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:10 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
It would be nice if they had lines for efficient pax, ie no laptops to take out of their carry-on, plus the many other things they carry that they must remove from their bag. After doing 30 plus flights in the past 3 months this has become the biggest pet peeve of mine. The annoying thing is that well over 50% of pax seem to far exceed the carry-on limits yet security does nothing about it.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by shore9
It would be nice if they had lines for efficient pax, ie no laptops to take out of their carry-on, plus the many other things they carry that they must remove from their bag.
Just ban carry-ons.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
NEXUS holders -- like Global Entry holders -- in the US do qualify for "preferred" airport "security" screening where all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.

I expect Canada is on much the same path as the US, since the current Canadian government has given in to just about every request the current US government has ordered, supposedly in order to facilitate cross-border trade (which is largely but in delivering upon the lines promised when NAFTA was being sold to parties on various sides).

Originally Posted by Santander
Just ban carry-ons.
That has been attempted before in a few markets.

For a while, the US even banned lap-children. At least India with its own airport "security" dog and pony show didn't go that far on the limited routes where carry-on bags were generally banned.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by shore9
It would be nice if they had lines for efficient pax, ie no laptops to take out of their carry-on, plus the many other things they carry that they must remove from their bag. After doing 30 plus flights in the past 3 months this has become the biggest pet peeve of mine. The annoying thing is that well over 50% of pax seem to far exceed the carry-on limits yet security does nothing about it.
Sounds like you want a return to the way things were prior to 2001 -- you know when planes were falling out of the sky every day because there were "evil-doers" everywhere just waiting to make a "Pop, pop, fizz, fizz. Oh what a relief it is!".

Your issue with carry-ons is the responsibility of the airlines -- particularly because they seem to charge more and more for more and more bags and because poor baggage handling service recovery motivates certain behaviors (including taking on more carry-on bags). I'm glad airport "security" is often enough staying out of the carry-on allowances enforcement issue, more so when not all airlines have the same carry-on/gate-checked baggage allowances.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:40 am

I guess like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMRe2tusDhQ
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: AE, SPG, HH
Here's the info folks:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ouncement.html

Basically just telling everyone of the already existing NEXUS program and encouraging everyone to apply for the card. Yay, so not just lineups in regular immigration but also to use the machines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.