Community
Wiki Posts
Search

29 more airports...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier
Originally Posted by KDS
TSA wasted no time with installing the NoS at FNT. I noted that it's already there this afternoon (10/21/2011) when I walked past the security checkpoint.

That ends any flying by my family members. I know that that means the TSA will interpret our absence as "making flying more safe". But I grind my teeth more and more and disgustedly wait for my next "conversation" and "hands-on welcome" with a TSO etc.
Like I said, friend, I never thought this would happen! It is truly terrible what our politicians have done to our airports. I can't wait until the day the TSA is dismantled and the politicians are sent to prison for making people go through scanners that are not safe!
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by bdraco
JHM !
Do any flights from the mainland arrive there, or do we need a connecting one?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 3:25 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
I'm more than a little surprised that Portland (PDX) isn't on the list.

Pleasantly surprised, of course!

If we're not the largest airport to remain NOS-free, we will be soon.

Stay the hell away, perverts.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Sydneysider
I'm more than a little surprised that Portland (PDX) isn't on the list.

Pleasantly surprised, of course!

If we're not the largest airport to remain NOS-free, we will be soon.

Stay the hell away, perverts.
Read and weep:
http://www.registerguard.com/web/new...ology.html.csp
Old Oct 23, 2011, 4:23 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Interesting - there seems to be conflicting information, as PDX isn't on the list from another thread.

There was a series of media reports from 2009 describing the NOS as "imminent" at PDX, so I can only hope we get the same result this time and remain NOS-free.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:43 pm

Interesting - there seems to be conflicting information, as PDX isn't on the list from another thread.

There was a series of media reports from 2009 describing the NOS as "imminent" at PDX, so I can only hope we get the same result this time and remain NOS-free.
PDX already "has" them, in the sense that construction is underway. It was supposed to be done in the summer, but apparently is running late. So, you already "have" them, just not visibly yet.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Interesting tidbits from the article:
TSA expects to hire 10 to 15 part-time workers over the coming months to add to its current staff of 70 part- and full-time employees at the Eugene Airport, Irwin said. The hiring drive is necessary because the new imaging technology requires larger staffs to run.
He added that he will emphasize the critical public service role TSA employees play and “dispel some of the myths about employment at TSA.”

In addition to criticism about its overly invasive screening procedures, the administration in the past has been panned in media reports for poor employee performance, including TSA workers stealing baggage, sexually harassing passengers and failing undercover security tests.
I'm sure only the smartest, best educated people will apply.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:49 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
PDX already "has" them, in the sense that construction is underway. It was supposed to be done in the summer, but apparently is running late. So, you already "have" them, just not visibly yet.
Can you provide some evidence for this? I fly in and out of PDX frequently, and am always on the lookout for any sort of construction that might herald the arrival of NOS.

Granted as a UA/CO guy I haven't cleared the A/B/C checkpoint in a while, but last time I went through D/E (a few weeks ago) there was no indication of repositioning equipment at the checkpoint.

Frankly, there's not a ton of room at the D/E checkpoint for the machines. I'm hopeful that when they do eventually arrive, at least one lane will be NOS-free.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:01 pm

Can you provide some evidence for this? I fly in and out of PDX frequently, and am always on the lookout for any sort of construction that might herald the arrival of NOS.

Granted as a UA/CO guy I haven't cleared the A/B/C checkpoint in a while, but last time I went through D/E (a few weeks ago) there was no indication of repositioning equipment at the checkpoint.

Frankly, there's not a ton of room at the D/E checkpoint for the machines. I'm hopeful that when they do eventually arrive, at least one lane will be NOS-free.
I went thru there in August, and took a look at all the checkpoints, as I had time to kill. You are correct, there was no sign of active construction then. I read the local papers in Portland for the information I passed on to you. The salient point is that delays happen, but should be understood as simply delays, and not a change in plan...alas.

the blue shirts were keeping busy feeling people over though, even without the scanners. There was a steady clientele for the full body groping at the popular checkpoint (abc?)
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

I just went to TLH to see how to avoid the NoS. Get in the line for security, and when it splits between two doors, stay to the right. The left door will send you through a NoS; the right door, a WTMD. When I went to TLH to check it out, the NoS was closed, so you were guaranteed a trip through the WTMD.

The checkpoint didn't have a single person in line, which is normal for TLH.

Last edited by mahohmei; Nov 2, 2011 at 12:39 pm
Old Nov 16, 2011, 5:49 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Italy98
Sad news . . . GNV now has a full body scanner. .
Full body scanner in mandatory use, with direct access to WTMD blocked, @ GNV. Opt-out available which took +/- 10 min.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahohmei
I just went to TLH to see how to avoid the NoS. Get in the line for security, and when it splits between two doors, stay to the right. The left door will send you through a NoS; the right door, a WTMD. When I went to TLH to check it out, the NoS was closed, so you were guaranteed a trip through the WTMD.

The checkpoint didn't have a single person in line, which is normal for TLH.
Update on this: Reports tell me that, early in the morning, the TSOs at TLH make the checkpoint NoS only, resulting in a pretty long line, since there's only one NoS.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:35 pm

Does anyone know if the NoS are installed at CAK yet?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Allie202
Does anyone know if the NoS are installed at CAK yet?
No, they haven't been install it yet. Let's wait and see.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:02 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
PDX didn't have them on ABC side when I went through 2 weeks ago. Went through there this morning and drat, there they are, the radiation scanners - all nice shiny new junk science machines lined up and ready to radiate. I went through the elite line and selected the shortest line, only noticing as I get closer that the blueshirts were herding my lane into the chamber.
I quickly switched lines to the leftmost lane as I noticed that this line only had a WTMD. Note the left hand side is usually the longest as all the airline staff and airport workers are herded here. Just as I am about to step through the WTMD they push a wheelchair up to the front of the line and I get directed to the next line down. I pretend not to hear the blueshirt telling me to go to the next one over with the dreaded machine. When he can tell I am ignoring him, he starts to get an attitude and I tell him NFW am I going through the machine and am opting out.
The usual charade of loud "OPT OUT, MALE ASSIST LINE 1" BS starts, followed by the dramatically long wait whilst a bunch of blueshirts stand around pretending to be doing "something vitally important" (tm). Finally I get a one striper who asks if I want a private screening to which I reply that they can do all their dirty work in public so all can see what this country has come to. Then he gets to play pocket billiards with me and we get all friendly.

What the heck happened to common sense and only selecting those that fail the WMTD, is that too much to ask?

Grr, just grr.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.