Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Free Zones?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:03 am
Original Poster

TSA Free Zones?

Is there anywhere in the USA that the TSA *CANNOT* set up shop and thereby control your movements?

The reason I ask is that there does NOT seem to be any limit on what they can do/ask of you and then decide to stop your movement through their 'checkpoint' if they choose to do so.

The 20 questions pilot in BOS is an example of this. I'm not a US citizen, but my understanding is that a US Citizen can travel freely in the US without hindrance - without showing ID (their 'papers') and without giving their reasons for travel. The 20Q puts an end to this. If they say 'you cannot pass'... then you're not going anywhere. It seems like they can do this on a whim and there is no immediate recourse.

AND if you were to push through the checkpoint? I'm certain you would be arrested, for at the very least, 'disturbing the peace'.

I suspect that if the TSA set up shop at a football stadium - they could decide you're not entering and that would be that. If you attempted to enter? Once again you would be arrested.

So? Have US citizens lost the right, perhaps not in theory, but certainly in practice, to move freely within their own nation? Where are the boundaries on what the TSA can do?

Even as a non-US citizen I KNOW I'm going to get myself in trouble the next time I travel through BOS and by chance get asked 'Who are you seeing in BOS' - my response is going to be some form of, 'I'm sorry, but that does not concern you' - and I am not going to be able to hide my indignation and how much I detest the person asking and the reasons they are asking that question.

I KNOW they don't necessarily care what my answer is - but that's besides the point - it's none of their business. BUT? That doesn't seem to matter to anyone in the US with the power to change things - and because of that question I must submit OR ELSE I am restricted in my movements.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:14 am

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
It is this "submit or else" issue that most concerns all of here.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Is there anywhere in the USA that the TSA *CANNOT* set up shop and thereby control your movements?
My house and property. (...and yours, too, for that matter.) ^
Old Sep 11, 2011, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Your house most likely, your property? Maybe not. Could you operate an airfield/airport for public use on your property and keep the TSA away?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Your house most likely, your property? Maybe not. Could you operate an airfield/airport for public use on your property and keep the TSA away?
I spend a lot of time at airports that do NOT have a TSA presence. There's some sort of threshold regarding commercial operations, passenger #s that is met before TSA is engaged. Someone other than I will have to provide the specifics, 'cause I am busy cooking yummy stuff in my kitchen and don't have time to look up the regs.

That being said, there are a gazillion (give or take a few) sleepy little airports in the middle of nowhere that are now surrounded with miles and miles of shiny new fencing (to the delight of fencing contractors everywhere). You probably do not want to know how much this cost, although you and I footed the entire bill. The FBO's are now sporting shiny new "see something say something" posters at various entrances and exits and many of these have been creatively amended. Other than that, life goes on as it used to.

I routinely go to the airport with extra water in my flight bag and sharp pointy things in my pockets. I fly a small aerobatic airplane with enough room for one slim passenger and a picnic lunch. I can carry 1/2 as much fuel in the airplane as my car. TSA has NO business in my hangar.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
My house and property. (...and yours, too, for that matter.) ^
They can set up at the end of your driveway where it joins the public street.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
They can set up at the end of your driveway where it joins the public street.
And if they park a ZBV out there, they can look through your house's walls, too.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 6:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by loops
I spend a lot of time at airports that do NOT have a TSA presence. There's some sort of threshold regarding commercial operations, passenger #s that is met before TSA is engaged. Someone other than I will have to provide the specifics, 'cause I am busy cooking yummy stuff in my kitchen and don't have time to look up the regs..
I asked when I flew SeaPort Air, a part 135 operator out of PDX, last fall what the TSA-free™ threshold was. Nine pax or fewer lets them bypass the nonsense.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:06 pm

My modest proposal: The 50 states as one "TSA free zone"
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eturowski
And if they park a ZBV out there, they can look through your house's walls, too.
Well, I live in rural western Loudoun county, VA. We are friendly people but don't take kindly to strangers, especially "revenuers" in government vehicles. I can't be responsible for what unfortunate things might happen to their tires, windows, brakes hoses, or their fancy sensors.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: CO Platinum
Originally Posted by essxjay
I asked when I flew SeaPort Air, a part 135 operator out of PDX, last fall what the TSA-free™ threshold was. Nine pax or fewer lets them bypass the nonsense.

Well that's next to change. This past week, it was all over the news about the threats of small aircraft.

And your car could be full of explosives, and the dog you are walking in front of your house could have a bomb sewn into its belly.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Well, I live in rural western Loudoun county, VA. We are friendly people but don't take kindly to strangers, especially "revenuers" in government vehicles. I can't be responsible for what unfortunate things might happen to their tires, windows, brakes hoses, or their fancy sensors.
Howdy neighbor!

In my development, I'd simply call to have them towed. If I was in a feisty mood, I might consider placing a weapon in my hand and going outside to confront them. (The parking area and street in our development are all private property - privately owned and maintained - so they would be kicked out post haste.) The wonderful thing is that since I'm on the Board, I would also be one of the few people in my development to be able to actually back up these words with action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.