Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Two men removed from AA flight after passenger reported "something suspicious"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two men removed from AA flight after passenger reported "something suspicious"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Kevin Sharp
I was actually on the plane and watched the entire thing go down. From what I saw not one single person aboard had a problem with getting off the plane and going back through security again. I didn't even mind booking another flight.

We are a polite society, Kevin. It's wrong to assume everyone on your flight was okay with this just because you think it was no big deal.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by N965VJ
^^^

And Kevin, some of your fellow pax were too angry to speak out and say what they really thought. Some of them know that the airport is no longer a 'free speech' zone and expressing dissatisfaction with this whole circus, no matter how politely, could result in someone like yourself, Kevin, summoning TSA and LE - out of an abundance of caution, of course, Kevin.

In short, Kevin, some folks are too afraid of their own government (and their own 'SSSS' fellow citizens) to speak their minds freely, particularly at an airport.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:22 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by photodave
I'm willing to put money on this being another case of FWB.
or a case of flying with printer (fwp)
NBCDFW also learned from a source at the airport that a bag was found to be suspicious after it was found to include a printer
Or maybe a case of flying with brown printer (fwbp)
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: CO Platinum
Last night Fox news reported that the suspicious behavior was that the men placed their carry-ons in the first class overhead bins, but were sitting in coach.

While I know that pisses that upgraded pax who has no overhead space, it doesn't make it suspicious from a security standpoint.

Also, the news reported that the crew searched the bag and found...a printer cartridge. Since when does flight crew have a right to search your bag.

Apparently, AA declined to comment. No wonder, since their crappy employees undoubtedly violated a number of policies and caused a flight to be cancelled for no good reason.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by mulieri
Last night Fox news reported that the suspicious behavior was that the men placed their carry-ons in the first class overhead bins, but were sitting in coach.

While I know that pisses that upgraded pax who has no overhead space, it doesn't make it suspicious from a security standpoint.

Also, the news reported that the crew searched the bag and found...a printer cartridge. Since when does flight crew have a right to search your bag.

Apparently, AA declined to comment. No wonder, since their crappy employees undoubtedly violated a number of policies and caused a flight to be cancelled for no good reason.
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpps/new...rport_14907025

Fox 5 Atlanta link appears to confirm this version of events.

I used to think that this kind of knicker-wetting panic could only be induced in United or US Scareways crew, but apparently AA employees don't want to be left out either.

Part of me is very tempted to Say Something whenever I See Something like this. If enough of us do it, then someone might actually sit up and take notice, then realise how stupid the whole charade really is.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
They don't. The only reason may be to see if something inside it would identify the owner if there was no tag on it. Even that's a stretch, though. The easy thing to do is just get on the PA and say "Would the owner of the XXX bag placed above row XXX please ring your call bell". Hinting that it may be gate checked will also be sure to get a response.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 1:55 am

Oh come on how many times have we seen FA move carry on? I have even had one move carry on and them forget where she had moved it to. The problem was the owner was having medical problems mid flight and desperatly looking for his meds - IN HIS CARRY ON!!!
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A FA moving a bag is not the issue. Looking inside it, seeing a printer cartridge, and going "Oh noes! A b-b-b-bomb!^" is.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
A printer cartridge made it onto a plane? Looks like another "Good Catch" opportunity missed by the TSA at DFW.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by goalie
or a case of flying with printer (fwp)
Or maybe a case of flying with brown printer (fwbp)

First they came for the brown people, and I said nothing because I wasn't brown.

Then they came for the people with printers, and I said nothing, because I didn't have a printer.

Then they came for the people with Tootsie Pops...

Mike
Old Sep 9, 2011, 6:20 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mikeef

First they came for the brown people, and I said nothing because I wasn't brown.

Then they came for the people with printers, and I said nothing, because I didn't have a printer.

Then they came for the people with Tootsie Pops...

Mike
^ But you know, I have never ever (n.b. never ever) been questioned nor have had my bag searched because of those evil Tootsie-PopsŪ )
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Please pee before boarding

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=442bd720&opt=0
The airline reported cabin crew grew suspicious after male passenger had visitited the lavatory before departure delaying departure and again used the lavatory in flight. A search of the aft lavatory found a suspicious item.

The FBI reported the suspicious item was not related to explosives, the man was detained, interrogated and released for flight.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
He was guilty of taking a leak while brown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.