Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Arrested TSO Toussain Puddie could receive "guaranteed dismissal" of theft charges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arrested TSO Toussain Puddie could receive "guaranteed dismissal" of theft charges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:47 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
If I forget that I have a loaded gun in my backpack I get a felony conviction at the checkpoint. Doesn't matter if I forgot it was there. They are the ones with the zero tolerance rules, not my fault if they get caught up in them.
Well, the State of Florida is the prosecuting entity, not the TSA, so it really isn't an apples-to-oranges comparison.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Ari
Well, the State of Florida is the prosecuting entity, not the TSA, so it really isn't an apples-to-oranges comparison.
TSA steals. State prosecutes.
Combat Medic brings gun. State prosecutes.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PoliceStateSurvivor
My understanding from reading the article is that the victim has to consent to such pretrial intervention....
I doubt that very much -- though I don't know for certain. Normally, such decisions are made by the prosecutor and the judge, based on state law. It's simply not the American way to let victims make such decisions, any more than victims get to decide on sentences for those convicted. (I believe that sharia law gives victims considerable power over whether and how a criminal is prosecuted, but thankfully, we don't have sharia law here.) Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Bruce
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by OldGoat
It's a sad state of affairs when the federal government takes people who either don't realize, after nearly two weeks, that the very expensive pen they unintentionally took home from work is not their pen, or who realize it isn't their pen but don't think that they should try and return it to the owner or a lost and found. That speaks volumes about the quality of the TSA workforce.

On the other hand, the story may be that he is a common thief. That speaks volumes about the TSA workforce as well.

Either way, the most dangerous part travelling on a commercial airline is transiting the TSA checkpoint. That' when the risk of arrest is highest, the risk of fines is highest, the risk of unwanted touching is highest, the risk of verbal abuse is highest, and the risk of theft is highest. Additionally, there's health risks to consider.

This continuing story is just a reminder that the TSA poses the greatest risk to the airline passenger.
Very very very well said on all points. ^
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:02 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I doubt that very much -- though I don't know for certain. Normally, such decisions are made by the prosecutor and the judge, based on state law. It's simply not the American way to let victims make such decisions, any more than victims get to decide on sentences for those convicted. (I believe that sharia law gives victims considerable power over whether and how a criminal is prosecuted, but thankfully, we don't have sharia law here.) Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Bruce
The prosecutor in that jurisdiction might, as a matter of policy, only offer this type of (non)disposition when the victim consents.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Ari
The prosecutor in that jurisdiction might, as a matter of policy, only offer this type of (non)disposition when the victim consents.
I think it says so in the article though it takes very careful reading to notice it.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by littlesheep
Um, this is crazy. It's very easy to not pay attention to pens. In the pre-computer days I used to come home every day from school or work with a different number of pens. Just not something I noticed. And I wouldn't know an expensive one if I saw it. As much as I detest the TSA, this is bunk. Seems like a way to distract from the real crimes going on
Totally agree with this. No sympathy for TSA or TSOs in general, but prosecuting this makes no sense unless there's real evidence of intent to steal. I absentmindedly walk out of stores, offices, etc. with someone else's pen all of the time, and the totality of the circumstances might not look that different from this case. Granted I tend to feel bad and bring the pen back as long as I haven't driven away, but still.

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Normally, such decisions are made by the prosecutor and the judge, based on state law. It's simply not the American way to let victims make such decisions, any more than victims get to decide on sentences for those convicted.
IANAL, but if a crime victim is the only witness to a crime and refuses to testify (i.e., will only answer "I don't recall" on the stand), a prosecutor might have little choice but to drop the case. It also seems very common in cases of simple assault or petty theft or other "minor" issues for the victim to be asked if they want to press charges against the perp. Again, I think it comes back to if the victim won't testify, there's no case.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
"And if Puddie fights back, and the trial goes before a jury? "You might have jurors who were groped by the TSA, or who don't like Jamaicans," says Garvin. "Then he [would become] a convicted felon." "

Oh dear, a TSA molester may find the roles reversed, with him being at the mercy of his victims, cry me a river!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlesheep
Um, this is crazy. It's very easy to not pay attention to pens. In the pre-computer days I used to come home every day from school or work with a different number of pens. Just not something I noticed. And I wouldn't know an expensive one if I saw it. As much as I detest the TSA, this is bunk. Seems like a way to distract from the real crimes going on - primarily sexual molestation, along with intimidation, and also intentional theft of expensive items.
Yeah. I had a boss like that. You had to be careful around him with any useful utensil that would easily go in a pocket--when he got done using such a thing he would put it in his pocket. It wasn't an attempt to steal, just a reflex putting it away. It wasn't just pens, but smaller screwdrivers, small pliers etc.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
Well Said Sir!

Originally Posted by OldGoat
It's a sad state of affairs when the federal government takes people who either don't realize, after nearly two weeks, that the very expensive pen they unintentionally took home from work is not their pen, or who realize it isn't their pen but don't think that they should try and return it to the owner or a lost and found. That speaks volumes about the quality of the TSA workforce.

On the other hand, the story may be that he is a common thief. That speaks volumes about the TSA workforce as well.

Either way, the most dangerous part travelling on a commercial airline is transiting the TSA checkpoint. That' when the risk of arrest is highest, the risk of fines is highest, the risk of unwanted touching is highest, the risk of verbal abuse is highest, and the risk of theft is highest. Additionally, there's health risks to consider.

This continuing story is just a reminder that the TSA poses the greatest risk to the airline passenger.
==================================================
I applaud your prose O.G. It seems your sentiments are similar to many here on FT, including mine.
IF one of our most powerful weapons agin tsa is the printed word then yours are devistating.^
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: WN A++, Marriott Plat, Avis 1
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
"And if Puddie fights back, and the trial goes before a jury? "You might have jurors who were groped by the TSA, or who don't like Jamaicans," says Garvin. "Then he [would become] a convicted felon." "

Oh dear, a TSA molester may find the roles reversed, with him being at the mercy of his victims, cry me a river!
Blogdad Bob spokesman has said on his site: "... there is no fondling, squeezing, groping, or any sort of sexual assault taking place at airports. You have a professional workforce carrying out procedures they were trained to perform to keep aviation security safe."

However, the lawyer for this TSO that conducted those procedures says potential jurors may have been "groped by the TSA". Which one should I believe?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:58 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by VegasCableGuy
Blogdad Bob spokesman has said on his site: "... there is no fondling, squeezing, groping, or any sort of sexual assault taking place at airports. You have a professional workforce carrying out procedures they were trained to perform to keep aviation security safe."

However, the lawyer for this TSO that conducted those procedures says potential jurors may have been "groped by the TSA". Which one should I believe?
which one works for the TSA? That is the one which will be telling lies...
Old Aug 13, 2011, 1:08 am

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by Combat Medic
If I forget that I have a loaded gun in my backpack I get a felony conviction at the checkpoint. Doesn't matter if I forgot it was there. They are the ones with the zero tolerance rules, not my fault if they get caught up in them.
^^^
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Puddie Sighting!

He's now on LinkedIn! A company called "5 Star Executive Protection" has hired him! I wonder if these executives know where there pens are?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/toussain...ddie/8/640/b18

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.