Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Arrested TSO Toussain Puddie could receive "guaranteed dismissal" of theft charges

Arrested TSO Toussain Puddie could receive "guaranteed dismissal" of theft charges

Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Angry Arrested TSO Toussain Puddie could receive "guaranteed dismissal" of theft charges

The Broward and Palm Beach New Times has posted an interesting update on Toussain Puddie, a former TSO who was the subject of the FT TS&S thread "Oops, not another thief in TSA employ"

Here's the update by Stefan Kamph, which was posted on Tue., Aug. 9 2011 at 3:44 PM: State Going "Full Blast" With Theft Charges Against Former TSA Screener, Says Lawyer

The title is misleading since the update actually describes the possibility of Puddie receiving a guaranteed dismissal of the theft charges filed against him, as described in the last two sentences of the update:
[Toussain Puddie's attorney] says that his client's family is "scared" of [Puddie becoming a convicted felon], and is pushing for the pretrial intervention with a guaranteed dismissal. Meanwhile, Puddie's friends have organized an online petition for the charges to be dropped.

Anyone care to organize a petition drive to help ensure prosecution?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:22 am

It's a sad state of affairs when the federal government takes people who either don't realize, after nearly two weeks, that the very expensive pen they unintentionally took home from work is not their pen, or who realize it isn't their pen but don't think that they should try and return it to the owner or a lost and found. That speaks volumes about the quality of the TSA workforce.

On the other hand, the story may be that he is a common thief. That speaks volumes about the TSA workforce as well.

Either way, the most dangerous part travelling on a commercial airline is transiting the TSA checkpoint. That' when the risk of arrest is highest, the risk of fines is highest, the risk of unwanted touching is highest, the risk of verbal abuse is highest, and the risk of theft is highest. Additionally, there's health risks to consider.

This continuing story is just a reminder that the TSA poses the greatest risk to the airline passenger.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OldGoat
It's a sad state of affairs when the federal government takes people who either don't realize, after nearly two weeks, that the very expensive pen they unintentionally took home from work is not their pen, or who realize it isn't their pen but don't think that they should try and return it to the owner or a lost and found. That speaks volumes about the quality of the TSA workforce.

On the other hand, the story may be that he is a common thief. That speaks volumes about the TSA workforce as well.

Either way, the most dangerous part travelling on a commercial airline is transiting the TSA checkpoint. That' when the risk of arrest is highest, the risk of fines is highest, the risk of unwanted touching is highest, the risk of verbal abuse is highest, and the risk of theft is highest. Additionally, there's health risks to consider.

This continuing story is just a reminder that the TSA poses the greatest risk to the airline passenger.
TSA is a real and significant danger to travelers.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:35 am
RVP

^

Thanks! That's it in a nutshell.

If you don't mind, I'm going to quote this in the new round of missives to my senators and congressmen.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle

Beautiful. Worth quoting again and again.

Bruce
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:52 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm devoid of sympathy for this TSO. That said, if he didn't really know what the pen was worth and thought it was just a pen on top of a filing cabinet, a felony conviction does seem a little steep. I personally think a misdemeanor conviction would strike the right balance. Had he actually taken the pen at the checkpoint knowing it belonged to a passenger, then a felony would seem like the way to go. Frankly, I'm okay as long as it results in some conviction and record.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: CO Platinum

Amen.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
From the article:

Puddie says he didn't initially tell anyone he had the pen because "I didn't want to get in trouble."
That's where he made his mistake. I would absolutely believe that he didn't realize it was an extremely valuable pen when he took it. But when he realized that the pen was valuable, he should have just taken his chances and told them, hey, it was sitting on a counter and I needed a pen. I didn't know that it was valuable.

Mike
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
I'm devoid of sympathy for this TSO. That said, if he didn't really know what the pen was worth and thought it was just a pen on top of a filing cabinet, a felony conviction does seem a little steep. I personally think a misdemeanor conviction would strike the right balance. Had he actually taken the pen at the checkpoint knowing it belonged to a passenger, then a felony would seem like the way to go. Frankly, I'm okay as long as it results in some conviction and record.
^^
Agree. Save the felony charges for the clerks touching sex organs repeatedly on pax all day.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
If this the guy has no priors (most likely) and it is only the $450 pen then I would bet the offense will be pleaded down to a misdemeanor with no jail time.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'd like to know who took the pen from the checkpoint to the cabinet and did not log it as 'lost and found'.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:49 pm

deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 2012 at 9:27 pm
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
The Broward and Palm Beach New Times has posted an interesting update on Toussain Puddie, a former TSO who was the subject of the FT TS&S thread "Oops, not another thief in TSA employ"

Here's the update by Stefan Kamph, which was posted on Tue., Aug. 9 2011 at 3:44 PM: State Going "Full Blast" With Theft Charges Against Former TSA Screener, Says Lawyer

The title is misleading since the update actually describes the possibility of Puddie receiving a guaranteed dismissal of the theft charges filed against him, as described in the last two sentences of the update:
[Toussain Puddie's attorney] says that his client's family is "scared" of [Puddie becoming a convicted felon], and is pushing for the pretrial intervention with a guaranteed dismissal. Meanwhile, Puddie's friends have organized an online petition for the charges to be dropped.

Anyone care to organize a petition drive to help ensure prosecution?
My understanding from reading the article is that the victim has to consent to such pretrial intervention. I hope he does not. I certainly would not have.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
^^
Agree. Save the felony charges for the clerks touching sex organs repeatedly on pax all day.
I am sure this clerk did it too. After all, it was part of his job.

Going to jail and getting strip searched as part of the intake process will serve him right. Then he'll know how we feel at airport checkpoints, courtesy of him and his cohorts.

Last edited by PoliceStateSurvivor; Aug 11, 2011 at 1:12 pm
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Ari
If I forget that I have a loaded gun in my backpack I get a felony conviction at the checkpoint. Doesn't matter if I forgot it was there. They are the ones with the zero tolerance rules, not my fault if they get caught up in them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.