Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Reprimanded for Photographing UA Check in Desks at JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reprimanded for Photographing UA Check in Desks at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I wouldn't bother writing UA a letter - they don't care. The new CO management has yet to bash the paranoia out of their twitty heads.

I love the flash mob idea - as we could target both the PA facilities and UA at the same time. I should be in NY this fall for sure and perhaps we can get a big group together (needs to be at least 25 people) to hit the UA terminal at JFK and start taking pictures of everything.
Better yet, do it with non-functioning cameras - no battery and no card.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
I wouldn't bother writing UA a letter - they don't care. The new CO management has yet to bash the paranoia out of their twitty heads.

I love the flash mob idea - as we could target both the PA facilities and UA at the same time. I should be in NY this fall for sure and perhaps we can get a big group together (needs to be at least 25 people) to hit the UA terminal at JFK and start taking pictures of everything.
Start at Jamaica Station, start photographing, and then make way to the UA terminal as well as T4. @:-)
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Start at Jamaica Station, start photographing, and then make way to the UA terminal as well as T4. @:-)
But seriously.. non-working cameras for everyone.

Wonder what the charge would be? "Simulating taking photographs"?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle

Count me in! (But I guess I'll have to borrow a camera somewhere, because I don't own a real one -- just my cellphone.)

Bruce
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by chollie

No, the charge -- as always!!! -- would be "disturbing the peace." It's such a wonderful catch-all for the police. Unlawful assembly might apply, too. They can always find lots of petty charges to bring. There's no shortage, especially in New York.

Bruce
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chollie

Why would the cameras need to be non-working? If we have a big enough group and everyone is huddled together, what are they going to do, tackle 25 people and wrestle their cameras away?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Count me in! (But I guess I'll have to borrow a camera somewhere, because I don't own a real one -- just my cellphone.)

Bruce
Party City or some such store and purchase a bag full of disposable cameras.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
"Knowingly giving a false impression" - a violation being bandied about in Phoenix. Insanity.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:52 pm

Why would the cameras need to be non-working? If we have a big enough group and everyone is huddled together, what are they going to do, tackle 25 people and wrestle their cameras away?
Depending on the numbers, they might or might not try that. But even if they single out a few people, it would be funny if the 'camera' presented was not working.

TSA/police: "No photos allowed"
pax: (smiles) Yes sir.
TSA/police: "Give me your camera. You have to show/delete any pics".
pax: OK, here you are.
TSA/police: "It's not working. There are no batteries. There are no pics."
pax: "Yes sir". (smiles)
TSA/police: (hands camera back)
pax: (points camera at TSA/police, snaps 'picture'). "Have a nice day"
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm going to write an email to United and I will report back with what they say. Again, thank you to everyone, even to the people who disagreed with me
Total guess, but United will respond with the same form response they did a couple of weeks ago when the woman in Houston went to the press because United made her stop taking pictures

What you refer to as a law is actually a United policy. We strive to make its customer experience safe and comfortable and accordingly issued the following policy in regard to the use of personal audio and video equipment. This policy is not a contract and does not create any legal rights or obligations.

Unauthorized photography, audio, or video recording of airline personnel, aircraft equipment, or procedures is always prohibited. Any voice, audio, video, or other photography (motion or still), recording, or transmission while on any United Airlines aircraft or in the terminal is strictly prohibited, except to the extent specifically permitted by United Airlines.

Insistence on violating any one of these prohibitions could lead to arrest or being placed on the "no-fly list". Those results are extreme but are possible depending on the environment at the time. I hope this information helps.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's their policy and they enforce it.

It took her two weeks to get a response, so be patient.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
You'll have to explain that to the youngsters.
So glad to be considered a youngster!

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
Bolding mine: Personally, I wouldn't mind as long as I had on my make-up and was not having a bad hair day!
Same thing for me.

Mike
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
"Knowingly giving a false impression" - a violation being bandied about in Phoenix. Insanity.
That'll be a fun one at the poker table...
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
Of course there is. I explained it to you.

The OP said he was taking photos of the gate desk. UA doesn't own the commons, although it may lease the gate desk.
No, you didn't "explain to me" at all. You came up with a lot of "ifs" to which you have now added a "may".

I'll reserve my judgment until the OP clarifies, not somebody who wasn't there who keeps presenting a series of increasingly unlikely hypotheticals.

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Aug 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
While the airport is a public place, the PANYNJ, which owns the airport, has a rule banning pretty much all unauthorized photography. Whether that rule is completely legal remains t be seen. I don't know of any successful challenges to it. It is certainly enforced.
Perhaps not.

As one who has had problems with JFK and photography, I have spoken to the Port Authority.

During our conversation, I was told "we really can't stop you from taking pictures" ... "but for security reasons we train our guards to stop and confront people who attempt to take pictures"

From my conversation, it's my understanding they know they can't legally prohibit photography, but they want to discourage it ..they gave me their reasons why - I didn't completely agree, but I didn't say anything, just listened. For those taking pictures, they want to know who they are.

In the end, I was "given permission" to take photos, but they wanted to know who I was, where I was from, and what the photos were for.

Its been my experience there are certain areas of JFK where the PA is strict with photography and there are other areas where its never been an issue.

I have spoken to attorneys who specialize in 1st Amendment / Photography issues. In my case from the confrontation I had over photography, I would have no damages as I was ultimately allowed to photograph in the end.

The attorney I spoke with said the PA has been a problem for quite some time; while the airport terminals are public and they are a government body, the PA like's to pretend they're private because they're self-funded (i.e. they do not collect taxes). Their revenue comes from tolls, tickets, and leases/rents.

At the end of the day, I've been advised it is a public (govt owned) area like a sidewalk where no expectation of privacy exists. I don't know why the PA is so averse to photography, but they are.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
yadayadayada
(sigh) whatever.
You're clearly on a mission, go for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.