Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Reprimanded for Photographing UA Check in Desks at JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reprimanded for Photographing UA Check in Desks at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cordelli
...Their policy is pretty clear:

Also, unauthorized photography, audio, or video recording of airline personnel, aircraft equipment, or procedures is always prohibited.
Their policy is moot and unenforceable at airport owned property and public spaces such as check-in counters and gates...as well as taking pictures of UA aircraft from public spaces.

If they don't like it, too bad.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:00 pm

Their policy is pretty clear:

Also, unauthorized photography, audio, or video recording of airline personnel, aircraft equipment, or procedures is always prohibited.
However, such a policy is only applicable when you are inside property owned by United, for example, inside a United plane. The ticketing concourse is likely not owned by United, and you could argue that if the ticketing concourse is public property, then any internal United policy has no bearing. It would be no different than a United employee attempting to stop a photographer from taking pics of a United plane from an adjacent gate operated by Delta or JetBlue, where it would have no bearing either.

EDIT: I see that the above posted said the exact same thing five minutes earlier!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
While the policy is totally unenforceable, the police have been kicking people out of airports and deleting pictures for years. Nobody has won that challenge yet, not people here, not the Daily News when they were kicked out of the Jet Blue Terminal at JFK for picture taking, etc.

It's fine for people to post over and over and over and over again how unenforceable it is, but out of all the threads that start out the same way, they always end the same way, people stop taking pictures, people delete pictures, and come here to post about how evil the TSA, the airport, or the employees are.

It's too bad nobody is willing to force the issue with the Port Authority or whatever the airport police is that is forcing them to delete or be arrested.

It really doesn't matter what anybody here posts about it being enforceable or not. In the real world, where it matters, it's being enforced, and has been for years. They don't care that it's public property, they don't care what posts on flyertalk say.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:27 pm

It's too bad nobody is willing to force the issue with the Port Authority or whatever the airport police is that is forcing them to delete or be arrested.
And that about sums up every thread on this forum.

(Did the Daily News ever end up suing either JetBlue or the Port Authority over the December incident?)
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:48 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Their story ended with the line

Daily News Deputy General Counsel Anne Carroll said the paper will pursue the incident legally with both jetBlue and the Port Authority.
But like every threat like that, it just was forgotten.

The National Press Photographers sent a letter to the TSA and heard back from them a couple weeks ago saying

“Please be assured that TSA’ s goal is to protect passenger’s rights, including the right to record at passenger screening checkpoints, while ensuring that passenger screening operations can take place in an effective and efficient manner. We will continue to strive to meet this two-part commitment.”
Which is what they have said time and time again, but they never get the word to the people in the field.

Last edited by cordelli; Aug 9, 2011 at 8:59 pm
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Foster Brooks?
You'll have to explain that to the youngsters.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Foster Brooks?
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
You'll have to explain that to the youngsters.
Nah. That's what them YouTubes is for.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
While the policy is totally unenforceable, the police have been kicking people out of airports and deleting pictures for years. Nobody has won that challenge yet, not people here, not the Daily News when they were kicked out of the Jet Blue Terminal at JFK for picture taking, etc....
This might change due to another poster's interaction with PA goons last week...let's wait and see what their lawyer does with that case.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by saulblum
Then the employees should have said that they'd prefer not to be photographed, and politely asked the passenger to stop.

Once they threw out "9/11! This is New York! Security!" they lost their credibility.
Granted they handled it in an appalling manner. But how would you feel if someone came into your workplace and started taking pictures? I wouldn't be too happy.

If you want to do this, there's maybe a sneaky little work-around. Take a friend and make like you are taking his or her picture.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Granted they handled it in an appalling manner. But how would you feel if someone came into your workplace and started taking pictures? I wouldn't be too happy.

If you want to do this, there's maybe a sneaky little work-around. Take a friend and make like you are taking his or her picture.
If I worked out in a public area I couldn't give a rat's butt. Does a terrorist really need names of ticket agents to make an attack?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:46 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
If I worked out in a public area I couldn't give a rat's butt. Does a terrorist really need names of ticket agents to make an attack?
Is it a public area? In many airports that space is either owned or leased by the airline, so it's not public. Don't know what the situation is at the airport in question.

And no, a terrorist probably doesn't need names of ticket agents; I've never given a moment's thought (nor your "rat's butt", whatever that might be) to what they want. Why does everything seem to come down to "...does a terrorist really...?" yada yada. Irrelevant to the issue here.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:53 pm

Is it a public area? In many airports that space is either owned or leased by the airline, so it's not public. Don't know what the situation is at the airport in question.

And no, a terrorist probably doesn't need names of ticket agents; I've never given a moment's thought (nor your "rat's butt", whatever that might be) to what they want. Why does everything seem to come down to "...does a terrorist really...?" yada yada. Irrelevant to the issue here.
Yes it is a public area. You can walk into the airport without a ticket and take all the photos you want. The terrorist part was brought up by the ticket agents with all the 9/11 b.s. Perhaps you didn't read the original post.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
It's a real sad to be so embarrassed of your job to not want your picture taken.
It seems to me that the TSA suffers the same malady as the UA personnel...
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
PHX is wholly owned by the City of Phoenix and space is leased.

However, if I am standing in the common walkway, lounge, or seating area and use a telephoto lens to take photos of an airline's staff, gates, signs, etc., that airline (or anyone else for that matter) has no authority to stop me from shooting photos (as long as I am not a acting on behalf of a commercial entity).

Likewise, when I am standing on the concourse with the shops on both sides, I can stop and take photos of the Cold Stone Creamery or the Nathan's Hot Dogs or the souvenir shop. While they certainly can prevent me from entering the shop and taking photos, they cannot prevent me from taking photos of them or their shops or their customers or their merchandise if I am located on a commons.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:01 pm

Bolding mine: Personally, I wouldn't mind as long as I had on my make-up and was not having a bad hair day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.