Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Risked based screening

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
While the things above don't actually change the real underlying risk (unless the person with the explosives actually was planning to use them), there's certainly no support for the idea that active duty military are _less_ of a risk of committing acts of terrorism than the average member of the US population. The numbers, of course, are vanishingly small in all cases (which speaks to how vastly we as a country overspend on attempting to reduce tiny risks), but, over the past decade:

Number of active duty military who committed acts of terrorism on US soil: 1
Active duty military: 2.3MM (including the reserves, to be comprehensive of anyone who might be traveling in uniform)

Number of non-active duty military who committed acts of terrorism on US soil: 19
US population ex-active duty military: 305MM.

The incidence of commission of terrorist acts among members of the military is about 7x the non-military incidence.

I'm certainly not saying "we gotta screen those military folks more closely, they're dangerous!" But there's zero reason to assume that they're LESS dangerous than the typical flyer, and hence should be screened LESS thoroughly.
Seems clear to me that the volunteer army has never been overly picky about the background of people it enlists. Wasn't there a mole in the Special Forces before 9/11? Somehow the security procedures of the military had no problem allowing that. Then the Ft Hood doctor. How many sleepers are wearing the uniform of our nation right now? Anyone care to guess? To say zero is VERY optimistic. Even people who might not have been a risk pre-2003 are potential threats now due to the rotten way our government has treated its enlistees.

I'm not confident that I know whether to screen them more carefully or less. But to say somehow being allowed to wear a uniform is tantamount to a clean bill of health is not rational in my view. On top of everything, even when the current government mustered them out, it was into a bleak civilian society. If a few are ticking time bombs, I can't even say I don't get why. I do. America is a society fertile in reasons to be very mad.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
I'm not confident that I know whether to screen them more carefully or less. But to say somehow being allowed to wear a uniform is tantamount to a clean bill of health is not rational in my view.
Agreed. But saying that the probability that an otherwise-unknown person is a threat to aviation is lower if he's in the military than a civilian seems rational in my view.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
What I think may well doom such a program is that most of the above can only be checked in opt-in situation. And that will likely produce a situation where the infrequent flyer always gets a "higher risk" score. That's going to cause both PR issues and logistical problems at the checkpoint. In my opinion, the challenge of such a program will be avoiding assigning such a score to those people.
Or it will be rolled into a new TSA-managed version of 'RealID'. Everyone will be required to have a RealID and everyone will have a 'risk score' assigned.

Unfortunately, if TSA's in charge, there will still be the problem of false/erroneous data with no recourse for the pax. And although I agree, risk assessment should be based on a total picture, positives and negatives, but I absolutely don't see that happening. Nor do I see any likelihood of being able to address (and clear up) any incorrect or mistaken information.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:22 pm

Agreed. But saying that the probability that an otherwise-unknown person is a threat to aviation is lower if he's in the military than a civilian seems rational in my view.
A priori? Why? Some sort of hope that uniforms only go to the worthy?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:49 pm

Re-read what I wrote. What I said is that somebody who's shown they value money over lives is more likely to agree to be paid to bring something on a plane than somebody who has not shown that. I don't think that's the least bit controvercial.
Re-read what I wrote. It isn't evidence. It's an assumption you make.

We're talking probabilities here. Obviously, there are people who have security clearances who've used them for espionage, but that doesn't mean that there's no purpose in doing investigations: they lower the probability that people given classified information will abuse it.
The investigations only lower the probability if they focus on the hazards that could trigger adverse events. Security investigations have been done for some time and are honed for the hazards. The links are demonstrated. I haven't heard of any similar work being done for "trusted travelers", have you? My impression is that TSA is making this up as they go along, and although they may have some causal links, they have a lot more in the way of assumptions and suppositions.

Of course, I have no way of proving that because TSA won't say what criteria they use. The program isn't transparent. For all we know they will rate people with low credit scores high enough to be groped simply because they assume a low credit score indicates a risk to aviation (after all, the person may be more likely to fall for a financial inducement!)
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by OldGoat

The investigations only lower the probability if they focus on the hazards that could trigger adverse events. Security investigations have been done for some time and are honed for the hazards. The links are demonstrated. I haven't heard of any similar work being done for "trusted travelers", have you? My impression is that TSA is making this up as they go along, and although they may have some causal links, they have a lot more in the way of assumptions and suppositions.

Of course, I have no way of proving that because TSA won't say what criteria they use. The program isn't transparent. For all we know they will rate people with low credit scores high enough to be groped simply because they assume a low credit score indicates a risk to aviation (after all, the person may be more likely to fall for a financial inducement!)
I worry about TSA making this up as they progress. TSA hasn't exactly shown a willingness in the past to slow down and thoroughly think through new implementations or sweeping changes.

I worry that TSA will approach this with a 'risk profile' in mind. 'Negative' points will be tailored to this profile.

I worry that TSA will also (ab)use such a program by mission creep - contribute to the 'wrong' organization, register any kind of question or complaint with TSA and get labelled as 'domestic extremist' and get added to the list, 'suspect' postings on Facebook, holders of green cards - the list of 'factors' that TSA can start layering on to the program is endless.

Years ago, I worked for an insurance agency in the southwest (TX-based). We had a list of 'high-risk' occupations, folks whose business we wouldn't write at any price.

Two of those occupations were: gambler and pastor/priest. I asked why.

The answer? Gambling is a risky lifestyle associated with drug use, alcohol, dodgy characters, fiscal riskiness and a taste for 'fast living' - not a good risk behind the wheel.

Pastors and priests? The answer was that pastors/priests couldn't be relied on to keep their minds on driving. They could be driving along thinking about a parishioner with problems or composing a sermon or praying. Also, they were very risky because if they were involved in an accident, they might be took quick to accept blame.

This was part of the reference/training/underwriting manual for our company. Folks who got turned down for these occupations (or the others on the list) never knew why.

I am afraid any TSA 'trusted traveller' program will end up the same way.

I'm sure all current TSA employees would automatically be 'trusted'. I wonder if a terminated TSA employee would jeopardize that 'trusted' status.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:03 pm

It's not an "assumption", it's a probability assessment.

"use" seems the wrong tense, since there's no program yet. My guess is that
the exact set of criteria to be used hasn't been decided yet and will evolve over time. But given the descriptions of the program that we've seen, it seems highly unlikely that anything like credit score will be used.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:09 pm

"use" seems the wrong tense, since there's no program yet. My guess is that
the exact set of criteria to be used hasn't been decided yet and will evolve over time. But given the descriptions of the program that we've seen, it seems highly unlikely that anything like credit score will be used.
Current job involves government contracts, clearances, etc, but also commercial work.

We have been running credit checks on new employees for years. I've heard that higher clearance levels include a credit check, but I don't know that.

The argument is similar to the reasoning you mention for denying trust to someone who has committed armed robbery. In that case, the thinking is that the act of armed robbery is indicative of someone whose moral compass was so skewed that he/she used a weapon to achieve something.

We were told that someone with financial problems, involvement in bankruptcy, low credit score was someone who statistically was more likely to compromise principles for gain because of the financial pressures.

If you take this logic far enough (and I'm afraid TSA will use a layered approach and that is what will happen), eventually there will only be a small subset of those who can be trusted because if you look hard enough, you can find something 'suspicious' on almost anyone. Particularly if you are not too interested in the truth.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:35 pm

It's not an "assumption", it's a probability assessment.
My understanding of "probability assessment" is very different from yours. It's like me saying that if I see a squirrel outside it's probable that a dog is nearby. The probability is unstated, and the link between the squirrel and the dog is nothing more than dogs chase squirrels. If that's what you call a probability assessment, so be it.

My guess is that the exact set of criteria to be used hasn't been decided yet and will evolve over time. But given the descriptions of the program that we've seen, it seems highly unlikely that anything like credit score will be used.
My guess is that the program has taken so long to arrive simply because they were trying to decide on criteria. I agree with your guess that the criteria will evolve. I have not confidence, however, that the criteria will actually tie to the risk of an adverse event on an aircraft. It's more likely that the criteria will be whatever can be sold to Capital Hill.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:46 pm

My feeling is that making no consideration of risk leads to an absurd program of indignities for totally innocent people, in the hopes of maybe finding someone who actually has dangerous intentions. Like sweeping a whole neighborhood where a crime happened and interrogating every single person present there. The real criminals would get a huge laugh watching such a thing. In fact, they'd hope the authorities would tie themselves down that way.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by chollie
We were told that someone with financial problems, involvement in bankruptcy, low credit score was someone who statistically was more likely to compromise principles for gain because of the financial pressures.
Sure. And it makes perfect sense to use it as a part of a security clearance determination for that reason. But because the "nature of the enemy" is very different with terrorism and a national espionage agency, the correllation of such with threat level is lower in the checkpoint case. Moreover, criminal history is public, but credit history is not. That's why I think it makes sense to use criminal history, but not credit score.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:45 am

My understanding of "probability assessment" is very different from yours. It's like me saying that if I see a squirrel outside it's probable that a dog is nearby. The probability is unstated, and the link between the squirrel and the dog is nothing more than dogs chase squirrels. If that's what you call a probability assessment, so be it.
Well, it's certainly true that the probability of a dog bring around is higher if there's a squirrel outside than if there isn't: it's just not a lot higher. The thing about using multiple probabilities is that even if one is wrong, the product usually ends up close. It's like the job interview question "How many piano tuners are there in NZ?". You guess the population of NZ, what percentage have pianos, how often each has it tuned, and how long it takes to tune it. You then compute the number of piano tuners. Each of those is a guess and, although I've never done it, I'm told people usually come surprisingly close.

I have not confidence, however, that the criteria will actually tie to the risk of an adverse event on an aircraft. It's more likely that the criteria will be whatever can be sold to Capital Hill.
It would seem to me that the proper approach is a balancing of those two things. You want to balance the predictive value of a criteria against the intrusiveness of that criteria.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
After Oklahoma City and Fort Hood, you could make a statistical case that active and retired military are MORE likely to commit acts of terrorism than the population as a whole.
This story seems to raise the issue again.
Another Sleeper?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by SATTSO
There will be more to it than that, from what I understand. Was just giving that as one example. I am sure another factor will be to see if you have donated money to particular "special interest" (my guess).
You mean like the republican party as long as the current administration is in power, and the democratic party if/when we get a republican administration?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
You mean like the republican party as long as the current administration is in power, and the democratic party if/when we get a republican administration?
I wonder how long an activity can be held against a pax.

You know, is 'trusted traveller' status going to depend on answering a question like: "Are you now or have you ever been a member of...blabla:?"

So if I checked out a library book about Islam or attended Rev. Wright's church 25 years ago or I took Arabic Literature in college, is that still going to be held against me?

If I am delinquent on my federal taxes, will that prevent me from being a 'trusted traveller'?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.