Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

More TSOs banning filming, and a passenger written up for using names of body parts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More TSOs banning filming, and a passenger written up for using names of body parts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by saulblum
Don't you remember? The TSO touches until he meets your "resistance".
I dont have any "resistance" on my body.
Only my fist.

I am educated in health I never studied any resistance body parts.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by tanja
I thought that a TSO screener had to explain in detail what they are going to do and touch.
So what is so wrong with repeating it back to them, you are going to touch my....

Something is very wrong here.
And since airport environments can be quite loud, there should be no problem with saying it back using your "outside" voice, just to make sure it is heard.

Imagine a scene with a dozen or so people screaming out body parts as they go through. I imagine it could become quite difficult for TSOs to have any communication with each other. It might be hard for them to do their jobs.

TSA can think of this as touching my "resistance".

And go ahead and file a charge of "interfering" with the screening process. I think I could find an attorney to successfully argue that it was a mere exercise of First Amendment rights, and then go personally sue each TSO involved. (Why go after just the agency when you can take a chance at making the individuals performing the actions hurt too?)
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Where's the sterile area?
You answered your own question upthread:

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
you know....down there
Sorry, sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:30 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by clrankin
And since airport environments can be quite loud, there should be no problem with saying it back using your "outside" voice, just to make sure it is heard.

Imagine a scene with a dozen or so people screaming out body parts as they go through. I imagine it could become quite difficult for TSOs to have any communication with each other. It might be hard for them to do their jobs.

TSA can think of this as touching my "resistance".

And go ahead and file a charge of "interfering" with the screening process. I think I could find an attorney to successfully argue that it was a mere exercise of First Amendment rights, and then go personally sue each TSO involved. (Why go after just the agency when you can take a chance at making the individuals performing the actions hurt too?)
Not only that.
How are TSA even ever collect from foreingers?

I dont have any american accounts at all. Even if I live here. Just swedish accounts.
Works for me.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by cb1111
Knowingly entering the sterile area before you are properly screened (if you need to be) will get you arrested. That charge will be upheld in court.
Never has, certainly never will.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by cb1111
Knowingly entering the sterile area before you are properly screened (if you need to be) will get you arrested. That charge will be upheld in court.
But how is one supposed to know that one was not properly screened before leaving?

I'd just start walking away and ignore what they have to say. When a LEO is called over, I'd just give a puzzled look and keep saying "What?"... If one feigns a fair amount of hearing loss, one can create enough doubt as to intention.

Of course, all of this assumes that TSA will try to stop you from leaving the checkpoint. Experience from prior incidents that's been mentioned on this board leads me to believe that one won't have many TSOs decide to leave their posts to give chase.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by spd476
I think I'll print out the page on the TSA website that says filming and photography is ok before i travel next. They probably will say the website is out of date.
This is exactly what people need to do.

I do the same with the post office. When I try to ship DVDs and CDs media mail, 90% of the post office employees will say that doesn't qualify. It's only for books. But that's not what the regs say. Even after showing them the actual regs, they wouldn't relent. I went on a letter writing compaign and got a letter from the Postmaster General confirming that it was permissible. I now carry that letter around with me. When I get any lip from a postal worker, I whip it out. Shuts them up instantly.

Same thing with my electric scooter and cops. I carry the vehicle code around with me stating that it's not considered a motorized vehicle and is governed by the same rules as bikes.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clrankin
Of course, all of this assumes that TSA will try to stop you from leaving the checkpoint. Experience from prior incidents that's been mentioned on this board leads me to believe that one won't have many TSOs decide to leave their posts to give chase.
Exactly. Isn't the passenger to assume that if his bags did not alarm, and neither did the metal detector or NoS, that he is good to go? Unless I have opted out and been patted down, or had my bags screened further beyond the x-ray, I have never explicitly heard a TSO tell me, "You're good to go". I walk through the metal detector, grab my bags off the conveyor and go. So this passenger, not having alarmed the NoS or x-ray, would have been well in the right to assume he checked out okay and was done with the screening.

If a TSO did physically attempt to detain him from leaving the checkpoint, would that be grounds for a charge of assault against the TSO? And if a LEO then arrested him for leaving without having cleared the checkpoint, what would be the basis of the charge? His bags did not alarm, and neither did the NoS. Therefore he is clear.

Again, the scarier part of this video is not the attempts to stop photography. That's old news. It is the TSO at the end who basically tells the passenger, "I did not like what you said, and for that, I'm reporting you and not letting you leave the checkpoint." Was it retaliation for his wife not backing down when ordered to stop filming? Maybe.

And for that reason, very clearly caught on tape, there need to be consequences for this TSO at the end. Because if BB or anyone else at the TSA were to come back and say that this TSO operated within standard procedure, then they have admitted that a TSO can detain you, and write you up, for whatever the hell he feels like at the moment, even after you have been cleared of being any threat to the plane.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL DM and charter KM
My only question is why are these morons not fired? It has been clearly stated by the TSA no less that video and photgraphy is ok at the check pint and idiots like these 2 continue to violate this policy. If I did a similar thing and violted my companies policy, I would most likely get repremanded the first time and terminated for sure the 2nd time. It is time for this crap to end!

Last edited by golfguy714; Jul 14, 2011 at 5:38 pm Reason: can't spell, long day today
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfguy714
My only question is why are these morons not fired? It has been clearly stated by the TSA no less that video and photgraphy is ok at the check pint and idiots like these 2 continue to violate this policy. If I did a similar thing and violted my companies policy, I would most likely get repremanded the first time and terminated for sure the 2nd time. It is time for this crap to end!
Because there is no accountability. You can lodge a complaint against the TSA, but how will you force any disciplinary action? I'm pretty sure this has been brought up in other threads, but can individual TSOs be sued for damages if they have violated one's Constitutional rights? Or are they immune from suits?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How can anyone in the TSA justify this?

Blogdad Bob, the silence is deafening.

I know...they will be re-trained, right?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Scubatooth
and that LEO will have a formal complaint filed against them with IA for doing so, without cause nor permission as TSA doesn't need that info, and violates its own policy if it does not provide the REQUIRED disclosures.

One of my co-workers (also a deputy for one of the local SO) did that to a texas state trooper at IAH last month after a incident with TSA (they tried to claim his badge was a weapon), and not only did his complaint cause a whole load of problems (including facing dismissal now) for the trooper he got a call from the troopers captain same day the complaint was lodged. Texas DPS IA must have had a PF 50 event when they saw the complaint as it caused bovine excrement to hit the rotating oscillator PDQ, hence the captain calling my co-worker to try and smooth things over.
Good to know - my plan from now on when dealing with airport cops who side with the TSA is to file a formal complaint to ding their record.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by golfguy714
The TSA is special. Idiots are heavily recruited. They make non-training so much easier.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:53 pm

"Written up"???

What is this, someone bringing alcohol into the freshman dorms?

Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by saulblum
It is the TSO at the end who basically tells the passenger, "I did not like what you said, and for that, I'm reporting you and not letting you leave the checkpoint." Was it retaliation for his wife not backing down when ordered to stop filming? Maybe.
No maybe about it; cast-iron certainty I'd say. A challenge, any challenge, to "authoritah" must be punished with bluster, pettiness and puffery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.