Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

More TSOs banning filming, and a passenger written up for using names of body parts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More TSOs banning filming, and a passenger written up for using names of body parts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Prepare to be sickened by this video --

http://www.pixiq.com/article/tsa-scr...rove-ignorance

Not only was the passenger's wife told by a supervisor that she cannot film the checkpoint. The passenger was then written up because a TSO was "disturbed" that he used the word "penis" when asking about the resolution of the NoS. The TSO was concerned for the nearby kids hearing such filthy words.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
It's Baltimore, and I thought no pictures/video there.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Markie
It's Baltimore, and I thought no pictures/video there.
I don't know BWI's policies, but it is very clear that the TSO is stating that it is against TSA policy to record. He's got all the buzzwords in there: "I'm the supervisor, so listen to me", "SSI", "classified", "interfering with the screening". (Isn't he the one interfering, taking well over a minute to harass the photographer while he repeatedly says he doesn't have time to show her why he's right, and that he has another passenger to deal with?)

Regardless, the even more disturbing part is at the end, when her husband has his BP and ID details recorded for a report, because the TSO was disturbed at his use of the words for a man's private parts.

I e-mailed the YouTube poster and suggested that contact the ACLU. Not for the photography part, but for this last part. These people need to be put in their place once and for all.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 15, 2011 at 8:05 am Reason: inflammatory
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:19 am

How funny!! TSA now CARES about the welfare of kids. Huh. Couldva fooled me. I find it ironic how the "agents" on this site continue to justify their existence with crap like this going on. Getting hired off a pizza box just doesnt seem to be an ego booster to me.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:25 am

I remember seeing something posted here recently that said the signs saying filming and photography are prohibited had been removed. I tried searching but I can't find it.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: OnePass
Under no circumstances would I *EVER* give a screening clerk my ID or boarding pass so that information could be recorded. I'd demand a LEO first.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:29 am

As of June 29th, the signs at BWI have been covered up.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by mikemey
Under no circumstances would I *EVER* give a screening clerk my ID or boarding pass so that information could be recorded. I'd demand a LEO first.
Sadly, as we have seen from other threads, that would probably only result in the LEO recording your details as well. At least .
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by saulblum
The passenger was then written up because a TSO was "disturbed" that he used the word "penis" when asking about the resolution of the NoS. The TSO was concerned for the nearby kids hearing such filthy words.
Color me unsurprised. People who do reprehensible things don't want to think about what they're doing, so they use euphemisms and private rooms.

They're OK with the kids *seeing* a grown man groping another grown man, or a grown man groping a child, but the words "penis" or "testicles" jar their cognitive dissonance enough to upset them.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: *wood Gold
The simpler thing to do would be to just gather your items and walk away from the checkpoint. The TSA cannot prevent you from doing this... If it causes a terminal breach, then it causes one. Let TSA deal with the ramifications of their poor decisions.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:46 am
Suspended

And the LEO will just turn it over to the TSA..........
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:00 am

What a confusing message that must be to both give and receive. "Your daddy can't say penis in this airport, but I can touch his penis in this airport."
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by doober
And the LEO will just turn it over to the TSA..........
and that LEO will have a formal complaint filed against them with IA for doing so, without cause nor permission as TSA doesn't need that info, and violates its own policy if it does not provide the REQUIRED disclosures.

One of my co-workers (also a deputy for one of the local SO) did that to a texas state trooper at IAH last month after a incident with TSA (they tried to claim his badge was a weapon), and not only did his complaint cause a whole load of problems (including facing dismissal now) for the trooper he got a call from the troopers captain same day the complaint was lodged. Texas DPS IA must have had a PF 50 event when they saw the complaint as it caused bovine excrement to hit the rotating oscillator PDQ, hence the captain calling my co-worker to try and smooth things over.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:14 am
Original Poster

http://www.tsa.gov/press/goodcatch/071111_knives.shtm

You can be sure that if that passenger's spouse was filming the checkpoint, the TSOs would have been in such a tizzy that they would have let the 13 knives go right on by.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: CO Platinum
What's wrong with the word "penis" anyway? It's hardly obscene, standard anatomical nomenclature, and about half the population has one. It was not used in a sexual context...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.