Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

SFO: TSA now Pre-checking I/D's & BP's while in line but before reaching the TDC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO: TSA now Pre-checking I/D's & BP's while in line but before reaching the TDC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mikemey
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the reality is that the SFO crew is doing a poor job.

I'm saying the TSA will come in and say "Due to performance, we thank the SFO crew for their service, and effective today, the TSA will take over security."

Since we all know that the TSA is dead set against outside contractors doing security.
I agree completely. TSA canceled the outside contractors program a few months ago, right about the time that SFO started asking your name. But then unexpectedly, TSA announced recently that it was coming back. I haven't seen any details, so I don't know if the intention is to structure the new rules in such a way that they can easily force contractors out.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
I agree completely. TSA canceled the outside contractors program a few months ago, right about the time that SFO started asking your name. But then unexpectedly, TSA announced recently that it was coming back. I haven't seen any details, so I don't know if the intention is to structure the new rules in such a way that they can easily force contractors out.
They are being very close-lipped about this. I'm certain that Pistole is not behind the about-face so he must have been told to do it. We won't see those details in public for sure, but I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall. ^
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by mulieri
While I understand the annoyance of being asked for your BP and ID a nmber of times, I really don't see the big deal on this one. I recall that in some international airports (South America, I think) where BP were requested at least 3 times.
The big deal is that it is yet another unnecessary inconvenience and annoyance for passengers. How many more of these non "big deals" are we supposed to tolerate, especially when there is no legitimate reason for performing them?

I'd be more than happy to flash these items 10x if it would obviate the need for the NoS or the happy pat.
I don't understand the need for the false choice here. Why have either of them? By giving up one for the other, you are empowering the TSA to simply add more inconveniences that provide dubious security at best.

No thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:57 am

Show up with your iPhone video innocuously running on your armband and you are "interfering with the screening process," but somebody creates a ridiculous waste your time on a redundant procedure that contributes nothing and it's a "layer of security."
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: CO Platinum
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
The big deal is that it is yet another unnecessary inconvenience and annoyance for passengers. How many more of these non "big deals" are we supposed to tolerate, especially when there is no legitimate reason for performing them?

I don't understand the need for the false choice here. Why have either of them? By giving up one for the other, you are empowering the TSA to simply add more inconveniences that provide dubious security at best.

No thanks.

If the choice is between inconvenience and intrusiveness, I would choose inconvenience every time. In an ideal world there would be neither, but if given the choice, it would not be difficult to make.

The point is that repetitive requests are simply hallmarks of inefficiency bureacracy (which exists all over the world). I would rather have a mildly inefficient system than what we have now: both inconvenient and intrusive.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
While I understand the annoyance of being asked for your BP and ID a nmber of times, I really don't see the big deal on this one. I recall that in some international airports (South America, I think) where BP were requested at least 3 times.

I'd be more than happy to flash these items 10x if it would obviate the need for the NoS or the happy pat.
But, I'll bet those checks weren't 4 feet away from each other, and in full view of the next checker.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
If the choice is between inconvenience and intrusiveness, I would choose inconvenience every time. In an ideal world there would be neither, but if given the choice, it would not be difficult to make.

The point is that repetitive requests are simply hallmarks of inefficiency bureacracy (which exists all over the world). I would rather have a mildly inefficient system than what we have now: both inconvenient and intrusive.
You are still making a false choice and giving the TSA all the power.

If the TSA required you to undergo 180 ID checks before your flight and, therefore, you had to arrive at the airport 6 hours before your flight, are you okay with that?

If not, then what would you consider reasonable because from the tone of your post, as long as it is only "inconvenient" you won't mind if they demanded to check your ID for the 12 hours prior to your flight.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
You are still making a false choice and giving the TSA all the power.

If the TSA required you to undergo 180 ID checks before your flight and, therefore, you had to arrive at the airport 6 hours before your flight, are you okay with that?

If not, then what would you consider reasonable because from the tone of your post, as long as it is only "inconvenient" you won't mind if they demanded to check your ID for the 12 hours prior to your flight.

Actually, TSA should be able to check my ID 72 hours before the flight with their Secure Flight program. Even If I show up 2 hours prior to the flight, they already had their 70 hours to figure out whether I am a potential threat...But I digress.

Frankly, I don't care if TSA has "all the power" to ask me for my ID repeatedly, so long as that power is limited to such mundane, albeit annoying tasks.

If that would help them understand that 'I'm still me' every four feet--fine, as long as they leave me alone otherwise: no NoS, no taking off my shoes, no limiting the size of my sunscreen, etc.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 2:51 pm

Frankly, I don't care if TSA has "all the power" to ask me for my ID repeatedly, so long as that power is limited to such mundane, albeit annoying tasks.

If that would help them understand that 'I'm still me' every four feet--fine, as long as they leave me alone otherwise: no NoS, no taking off my shoes, no limiting the size of my sunscreen, etc.
But in my case, and in the case of others who reported here, at SFO they are asking passengers to spell their name as it appears on their boarding pass (previously to state their name). goalie was not apparently asked to do this, but it was occuring over the weekend at SFO. The only reports I have are for people carrying non-US passports, so I don't know if this is 'random' or required or just required of non-US passport holders.

Before one even reaches the line for the WTMD, one shows BP to Airserv, shows BP and ID to TDC #1, shows BP and ID to TDC #2 located less than 2 metres from TDC #1, and then one has to either spell one's name or pronounce one's name. (Again, I don't know why goalie was exempt, but in my case every person around me was asked to do this)
Old Jul 11, 2011, 3:10 pm

Is this new? It's been years now that I remember them checking your id and bp before allowing you to get in the line to get your id and bp checked.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
But in my case, and in the case of others who reported here, at SFO they are asking passengers to spell their name as it appears on their boarding pass (previously to state their name). goalie was not apparently asked to do this, but it was occuring over the weekend at SFO. The only reports I have are for people carrying non-US passports, so I don't know if this is 'random' or required or just required of non-US passport holders.

Before one even reaches the line for the WTMD, one shows BP to Airserv, shows BP and ID to TDC #1, shows BP and ID to TDC #2 located less than 2 metres from TDC #1, and then one has to either spell one's name or pronounce one's name. (Again, I don't know why goalie was exempt, but in my case every person around me was asked to do this)

I do agree it is absolutely ridiculous--but it is SFO. Next, they might start making you read the so-called "foreskinman" comics or renouncing the use of plastic bags before you get through security.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
While I understand the annoyance of being asked for your BP and ID a nmber of times, I really don't see the big deal on this one. I recall that in some international airports (South America, I think) where BP were requested at least 3 times......
But having this done just 6 feet away from where it was just done and already in line?

Originally Posted by travfar
Is this new? It's been years now that I remember them checking your id and bp before allowing you to get in the line to get your id and bp checked.
Where? At a U.S. airport or international one?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
But having this done just 6 feet away from where it was just done and already in line?

Where? At a U.S. airport or international one?
There are airports, ONT for one, in which the rope line is at the top of the escalator and it is difficult, but not impossible to back out if you go up by accident. There is an ID/BP checker at the bottom of the escalator that gives it a cursory check so that when one goes up to the real ID/BP TDC line, at least everyone has shown they have an ID/BP to check. Without the precheck, some travel naive people could go up the escalator before checking in with their airline.

It is more than 6 feet, however.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

It is more than 6 feet, however.
I said 2 metres (= approx 6 feet). I believe that goalie may have said 4 feet. He is probably correct; I was rounding up.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exbayern
I said 2 metres (= approx 6 feet). I believe that goalie may have said 4 feet. He is probably correct; I was rounding up.
There are logical reasons to check it twice, but I agree, not in 6.56167979 feet or especially 1.2192 meters.

This would be a great opportunity to use my backup BP. I always print two, just in case. What will TDC #2 say when it does not have TDC #1's magic squiggle? I was just 1.2192 meters away and he saw me get checked.

BTW, why 2? It is great fun for the gate checks. I will hand one to the OA and the other to the TSO. (I started doing it after spilling coffee on one.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.