Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Guess what L-3 used to do before stripping Americans naked in airports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guess what L-3 used to do before stripping Americans naked in airports?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Question Guess what L-3 used to do before stripping Americans naked in airports?

Most here probably know that L-3 is the manufacturer of one of two models of NoS devices found in airports. Many, including myself 10 minutes ago, may not have known that years ago, Titan Corp., an infamous defense contractor best known for its work in Abu Ghraib, renamed itself and became a part of L-3 communications. Its work in Aby Ghriab "includ[ed] beatings, sexual humiliation, exposure to extreme temperatures and rape. In court papers, the inmates said some prisoners were tortured into unconsciousness and several were murdered."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...ntractors.html

You learn something new every day, eh? Perhaps the more important lesson is to stand up for others rights before those who violate them move on to you.

--Jon

Last edited by Affection; Jun 27, 2011 at 4:52 pm
Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:49 pm

In the interests of accuracy. L-3 Communications purchased Titan in 2005.

Still hate body scanners regardless of whether they are backscatter or MMW.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Edited to clarify -- thanks.

Originally Posted by WChou
In the interests of accuracy. L-3 Communications purchased Titan in 2005.

Still hate body scanners regardless of whether they are backscatter or MMW.
--Jon
Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Like many defense contractors, L-3 is a mixed bag. While they have some good programs, there are some we would all rather not have, but figure it this way some one is going to make scanners until the administration changes direction. As a friend who works for L-3 said 9-11 has been very good for business.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: too many of the few that are left
And here I'd so hoped this guy (son of friend of friends, met at a celebration) was simply full of it and blowing smoke. Sad.

Originally Posted by Ciarin
My bad, I got into the habit of saying MRI cause that's what it reminds me of. I suppose it's more like a ct scan than an MRI though.
Where have you had experience with MRI and/or CT? In what way does MRI "remind" you of a baggage scanner?

[QUOTE:YCTTSFM/]Curious about your technical perspective, if any. In a recent discussion about backscatter, a 2-tour Iraq combat vet's response to my objection they were put into use without testing was a wink and "Oh, they've been tested—on Iraqis!" He seemed to believe this was both permissible, and sufficient. Don't know him well enough to guess whether he believes it himself. [/QUOTE]

Mods—cannot find the instruction for quoting across threads: this was #13 in FOIA/EPIC active today. Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
And L3 is coming under pressure from investors to divest some of their holdings.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:29 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Would love to be a billionaire and short the $&!# out of their stock.

Or just buy and dismantle them.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sydneysider
Would love to be a billionaire and short the $&!# out of their stock.

I would not short any defense stock. We are multiplying our combat zones by the week.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Like many defense contractors, L-3 is a mixed bag. While they have some good programs, there are some we would all rather not have, but figure it this way some one is going to make scanners until the administration changes direction. As a friend who works for L-3 said 9-11 has been very good for business.
so... if a crime family makes regular donations of 5 milllion USD to the catholic church, they should be considered legit?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Sydneysider
that's basically the opposite of how L3 has been built - they've acquired other companies (like Titan).
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Yuengling
that's basically the opposite of how L3 has been built - they've acquired other companies (like Titan).
Yes, but, an "activist investor" (corporate raider) has bought into L3 with a stated intention of trying to get them to break up and divest some stuff to increase shareholder value. This was the same investment group that "coaxed" ITT to break into 3 divisions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.