Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Phone call with Amtrak Chief of Police re: TSA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO

Earlier today (7/6/11) I called the office of John O'Connor, Chief of Police of Amtrak. I wanted to get an email address or fax number where I could ask questions regarding the relationship between TSA and Amtrak police and what TSA is and is not allowed to do at Amtrak train stations. It went to voicemail and I left a message.

I wanted this information because I have been traveling via Amtrak since November, 2010 and am traveling from Newark, NJ to Florida beginning 7/7 and it seems as if TSA has been increasingly in the news at non-airport locations lately, most recently Union Station in DC. I am traveling with my daughters, aged 13 and 9.

A short while ago, approximately 7:00pm EDT, Mr. O'Connor called me back personally. I gave him a 2 minute summary of why I called, why I travel via Amtrak and that I am concerned regarding searches when traveling with my daughters. I also mentioned that I had sent him a letter in March, 2011, thanking him for his response to the Savannah, GA incident with TSA.

Here is a summary of the highlights of our conversation. Phrases where I use quotation marks are direct quotes from Mr. O'Connor.

- Amtrak works with TSA on searches involving ONLY a swab of the outside of your bag. Barring a positive hit or other "Constitutionally reasonable suspicion", the TSA is not authorized (by Amtrak police) to search inside your bag.

- There is no support from Amtrak police for the searching of passengers strictly for security reasons. There would have to be a constitutionally valid, police-style, hold-up-in-court reason for a search of a passenger. I assume that at this point, any search would be done by a police officer rather than the TSA although I don't think he actually said that.

- If I recall correctly, Mr. O'Connor did not use the word patdown. He used search. He said search bags or search passengers.

- Mr. O'Connor stated that he believes strongly in Constitutional rights and said if, in the "name of security", we violate the Constitution we are "allegedly fighting to protect, then the terrorists have won". ^^^^

- He said he was particularly "disturbed" by the video/photos of the children being searched in Savannah.

I have to say, he sounded completely sincere throughout the conversation, particularly when speaking about viewing the video of the searches of children in Savannah. I have a very strong impression of a man that truly believes in "Serve and Protect".

I am very impressed that he called me directly, since I only asked for a fax or email contact number and left my email which would have been the easiest way for his office to contact me. I am much more comfortable knowing that I don't have to submit to the TSA at least wrt Amtrak. Perhaps John O'Connor should take over TSA or DHS?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:29 pm

I'm very impressed by your post. My last trip was by Amtrak from Alexandria to Florida. It's ironic that the feeling of freedom I used to get when flying commercial is now only available when travelling by train.

Go Amtrak.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by lmirante
Earlier today (7/6/11) I called the office of John O'Connor, Chief of Police of Amtrak.

*snip*

I am much more comfortable knowing that I don't have to submit to the TSA at least wrt Amtrak. Perhaps John O'Connor should take over TSA or DHS?
^^^^

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 6, 2011 at 9:40 pm Reason: brevity
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:07 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
I'll never be a fan of the ID-checking bs "requirement", but have to give much respect to this gentleman for the positions he has taken.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Would love to see Mr. O'Connor take over at the TSA. A man that respects our Constitutional Rights is a great thing to see.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
It is excellent to see a ranking security professional cite the Constitution and take the time to communicate with a normal random citizen. Great post.

I understand that most thoughtful security and law enforcement professionals loathe TSA for its arrogance and incompetence. Thank goodness not everyone in that line of work has gone insane.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:24 pm

Hooray for Amtrak and John O'Connor! I just got off the train from a 24-hour Amtrak trip and I feel great that I am able to travel without being groped or strip searched. Amtrak will win my undying loyalty by keeping TSA's filthy hands off my body. I mentioned TSA as my reason for traveling by Amtrak, and my train attendant said he hears many people saying the same thing.

http://articles.dailypress.com/2011-...passenger-rail

"In May, Amtrak marked 19 consecutive months of year-over-year ridership growth nationwide. With 2.6 million passengers, May was also Amtrak's best month ever, the passenger rail carrier reported."
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Well done, lmirante. ^
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by mybodyismyown
Hooray for Amtrak and John O'Connor! I just got off the train from a 24-hour Amtrak trip and I feel great that I am able to travel without being groped or strip searched. Amtrak will win my undying loyalty by keeping TSA's filthy hands off my body. I mentioned TSA as my reason for traveling by Amtrak, and my train attendant said he hears many people saying the same thing.

http://articles.dailypress.com/2011-...passenger-rail

"In May, Amtrak marked 19 consecutive months of year-over-year ridership growth nationwide. With 2.6 million passengers, May was also Amtrak's best month ever, the passenger rail carrier reported."
Great work! I make sure I talk to all the AmTrak personnel I can, whether I'm on or just seeing someone off, to mention the airport groping and how much I appreciate AmTrak NOT doing that kind of revolting act. So far, the typical response is a knowing grin and the words "our ridership is up these days". All of this is NOT due to being cheaper than flying, because it usually isn't (on our routes) if you travel in comfort--ie the sleeper cars...
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:53 am
zlc

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
Great work! I make sure I talk to all the AmTrak personnel I can, whether I'm on or just seeing someone off, to mention the airport groping and how much I appreciate AmTrak NOT doing that kind of revolting act. So far, the typical response is a knowing grin and the words "our ridership is up these days". All of this is NOT due to being cheaper than flying, because it usually isn't (on our routes) if you travel in comfort--ie the sleeper cars...
/Joke on
See, the Administration has been talking about building hi-speed rail networks. In order to justify the cost of it, it needs to show that there are demands for rail travel. By making air travel as miserable as possible, they encourage people to take the train, therefore increase the demand for rail travel, thus justifying the cost of building hi-speed rail network.
/Joke off

However, I can garentee that the moment an attempt was made on a railroad, we will see TSA marching to the train stations.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:51 am

Rather than fly SMF-LAX last weekend we (my 15 yo niece and I) took the Amtrak San Joaquin. It's a train from Sacramento to Bakersfield then an Amtrak thruway bus from Bakersfield over the Grapevine to LA.

-- Cheaper than flying.
-- I didn't have to drive Interstate 5 but instead could relax with some adult beverages en route, read, sleep, watch the view, hang out in the cafe car, etc.
-- No nude-o-scopes (SMF doesn't have them but T1 at LAX sure does) or groping.

Now granted it did talke longer than flying or driving (about 2 hours longer than driving but that's OK).

The train both ways was packed - in fact it was announced as sold out southbound (!) but not every seat was taken. In talking to a few other passengers in the cafe car they mentioned they took the train specifically to avoid airports and the TSA.

Now having said that, at Union Station there were several police (Amtrak & local) as well as TSOs walking around but all they seemed to be doing was patrolling the grounds and observing folks. No ID checks, no security checkpoints, no yelling/berating the passengers, etc.

All in all a nice, pleasant, relaxing way to travel. I just might do this again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.