Wiki Posts
Search

GSO stupidity

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PE, FL A+Elite, X-DL Silver, X-AA Gold, HH Diam, Marriott Silv
GSO stupidity

Three cheers for no scans or gropes (that I saw). Just annoying. First, an STSO-TDC was asking every single person to say their first and last names and destination. This slowed things down a bit but another TDC next to him was not asking questions. Then, the x-ray loader was asking everyone to remove all liquids for inspection, which I haven't seen in a while. A passenger in front of me did not have his freedom baggie and had a couple items too large. They were put through the X-ray anyway. After the X-ray I gave up my toothbrush bag, and the screener placed the smaller items in the bag and returned them. Lastly, gate checks!! I got a DY...T for copping attitude about the last one but lack of sleep and compounding stupidity will do that to me. Otherwise screeners were politely and professionally stupid.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by sheneh
Three cheers for no scans or gropes (that I saw). Just annoying. First, an STSO-TDC was asking every single person to say their first and last names and destination. This slowed things down a bit but another TDC next to him was not asking questions. Then, the x-ray loader was asking everyone to remove all liquids for inspection, which I haven't seen in a while. A passenger in front of me did not have his freedom baggie and had a couple items too large. They were put through the X-ray anyway. After the X-ray I gave up my toothbrush bag, and the screener placed the smaller items in the bag and returned them. Lastly, gate checks!! I got a DY...T for copping attitude about the last one but lack of sleep and compounding stupidity will do that to me. Otherwise screeners were politely and professionally stupid.
Bugs Bunny, Albequerqueeeeeeeeee.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by sheneh
Arrrrggghhhhh!! Good riddance to TSA in GSO!! There is no such things to removed the liquid out of the carryon bags. This is not good enough at all.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: TSA
Per SOP and public announcements, the LAG baggie is supposed to be removed from your carryon and sent through the xray separately. This has been the case for a couple of years. GSO seems to be a bit more focused on that than what I hear from other airports.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

IAD stupidity

The TSA management has once again demonstrated its unbelieveable stupidity. This morning, at the Diamond lane, they had a TDCclerk who was so slow at checking boarding passes that at one point, there was nobody at the tables putting their carry on items in the bin, yet there were at least 15-20 people waiting in line.

When I got up to her, I found out why she was taking so long - she was one of the folksy "so where are you going" today clerks. She saw my official passport, and said "wow, an official passport. Where are they sending you today?" Since she had my boarding pass in hand, I said nothing. She finally waved me on.

Once I got to the table, I noticed that another clerk finally came over to help clear the backlog.

I'm beginning to believe that TSA must administer an intelligence test to prospective employees, and if they score too high, it's grounds for not hiring.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:27 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by halls120
The TSA management has once again demonstrated its unbelieveable stupidity. This morning, at the Diamond lane, they had a TDCclerk who was so slow at checking boarding passes that at one point, there was nobody at the tables putting their carry on items in the bin, yet there were at least 15-20 people waiting in line.

When I got up to her, I found out why she was taking so long - she was one of the folksy "so where are you going" today clerks. She saw my official passport, and said "wow, an official passport. Where are they sending you today?" Since she had my boarding pass in hand, I said nothing. She finally waved me on.

Once I got to the table, I noticed that another clerk finally came over to help clear the backlog.

I'm beginning to believe that TSA must administer an intelligence test to prospective employees, and if they score too high, it's grounds for not hiring.
Bolding mine: Future BDO?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I agree on your last halls for sure. I know a kid who applied to TSA who imo has it all & passed everything never got a call back. Today he's thankful for that^
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Per SOP and public announcements, the LAG baggie is supposed to be removed from your carryon and sent through the xray separately. This has been the case for a couple of years. GSO seems to be a bit more focused on that than what I hear from other airports.
I haven't removed my baggie for at least a year, and have not had any complaints.

But of course that may be because at least 70% of prohibited items are not located by the X-ray attendants.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Per SOP and public announcements, the LAG baggie is supposed to be removed from your carryon and sent through the xray separately. This has been the case for a couple of years.
If so, the vast majority of checkpoint TSOs are in flagrant violation of SOP and should be terminated. Nobody cares about Ziploc out versus Ziploc not out unless they want to use the issue as a toehold to harass you.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 1:10 pm

And being a convicted felon for robbery (discovered during the TSA's thorough background investigation) will not disqualify you either. I always did wonder why a screener would be willing to trust (and work with) another screener who is a convicted felon for robbery. Sort of nullifies the whole concept of not needing screening when reporting for work.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Is it also SOP for your clerks to say "Do You Want To Fly Today"?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
I haven't removed my baggie for at least a year, and have not had any complaints.

But of course that may be because at least 70% of prohibited items are not located by the X-ray attendants.
YMMV, however, removal of the bag is what is supposed to happen.

Originally Posted by BearX220
If so, the vast majority of checkpoint TSOs are in flagrant violation of SOP and should be terminated. Nobody cares about Ziploc out versus Ziploc not out unless they want to use the issue as a toehold to harass you.
It is simply to make screening the LAGs easier for the xray operator. As far as not removing or removing, the bag is supposed to come out.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Is it also SOP for your clerks to say "Do You Want To Fly Today"?
Nope, and I actively discourage that phrase if I ever hear it. I hate it just as much as you folks do.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YMMV, however, removal of the bag is what is supposed to happen.

It is simply to make screening the LAGs easier for the xray operator. As far as not removing or removing, the bag is supposed to come out.

Nope, and I actively discourage that phrase if I ever hear it. I hate it just as much as you folks do.
So what happens to TSA employees who do not follow SOP and require the baggie to be screened outside of the carry-on?

Why hasn't whatever happened, no oversight?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
...She saw my official passport, and said "wow, an official passport. Where are they sending you today?" ...

An official passport in Washington DC? Really?!? Guess there's a first time for everything.

I would've thought the first rule of being in a low-level government job is "don't screw around with people with official passports".
Old Jun 20, 2011, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I posted a while back that the clerks at DEN weren't going to accept my brown passport. 4-5 of them who swarmed me claimed they had never seen one before.

On a related note -- were you able to SDOO in the Diamond Lane? If you pulled it off, that's great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.