Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Mocek now suing for civil rights violations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mocek now suing for civil rights violations

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2011, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Give 'em hell, Phil.

And for the love of Ghu, don't accept any out-of-court settlement that includes a gag order for you.
Old May 28, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Depends on what "settlement" means. If it involves a binding agreement on TSA to knock off these aggregious behaviors, with court supervision of the agreement, I don't see a problem.
When I said "settlement" I meant an out of court settlement where the defendent pays a sum of money to make the lawsuit go away but does not either deny or admit wrongdoing, culpability or liability and the plaintiff has to keep quiet.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:07 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Time for another donation to Phil's defense fund. Now an offense fund.
Old May 29, 2011, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Spiff
Time for another donation to Phil's defense fund. Now an offense fund.
Here we go yet again!! Gosh, not another civil rights violations against Phil. This is so ridiculous! Why can't have sent the letter to the attorney?
Old May 29, 2011, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
Here we go yet again!! Gosh, not another civil rights violations against Phil. This is so ridiculous! Why can't have sent the letter to the attorney?
No not another incident of civil rights violations but Phil attempting to show that what happened was wrong and establish that if nothing else the police officers acted in a manner not consistent with the law.
Old May 29, 2011, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I hope Phil prevails. I would love to see some action against the TSA employees who called the police in the first place. They should not get a free pass.
Someone needs to explain to me how a TSA employee calling the police is a violation of anyone's rights. When there is a question about whether someone has committed a crime, a law enforcement officer is the appropriate authority to call. LEOs have been given the authority and training to arrest and charge individuals who break the law. They also have been given the responsibility to not arrest individuals who have not broken the law.

TSOs are not LEOs. They can't arrest anyone or use force to maintain the peace. It is therefore appropriate for TSOs to call for law enforcement assistance. It is also appropriate for police officers to make their own independent evaluation of each situation and respond accordingly.

castro
Old May 29, 2011, 6:13 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by castrobenes
Someone needs to explain to me how a TSA employee calling the police is a violation of anyone's rights. When there is a question about whether someone has committed a crime, a law enforcement officer is the appropriate authority to call. LEOs have been given the authority and training to arrest and charge individuals who break the law. They also have been given the responsibility to not arrest individuals who have not broken the law.

TSOs are not LEOs. They can't arrest anyone or use force to maintain the peace. It is therefore appropriate for TSOs to call for law enforcement assistance. It is also appropriate for police officers to make their own independent evaluation of each situation and respond accordingly.

castro
Lookup the elements of malicious prosecution (or the like) in New Mexico and give the TSOs' affidavits a read-- they might make the cut. The claim would not be for calling the police, but for lying in the affidavits to try to convict Phil with perjury (or to manufacture probable cause with perjury).

I don't have time right now to look them up, but I might later tonight.
Old May 29, 2011, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
Lookup the elements of malicious prosecution (or the like) in New Mexico and give the TSOs' affidavits a read-- they might make the cut. The claim would not be for calling the police, but for lying in the affidavits to try to convict Phil with perjury (or to manufacture probable cause with perjury).

I don't have time right now to look them up, but I might later tonight.
OK I concede that someone who was arrested based on lies to the police would have some type of action against the liars whether they be TSOs or anyone else.

I do not concede that calling the police is a civil rights violation, even if the police subsequently violate another person's rights.

castro
Old May 29, 2011, 8:22 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not concede that calling the police is a civil rights violation, even if the police subsequently violate another person's rights.
Correct.

I think the issue will not be the initial calling of the police, but the reports they filled out. I still haven't looked up the relevant statute, so I can't be sure . . .
Old May 29, 2011, 8:27 pm

OK I concede that someone who was arrested based on lies to the police would have some type of action against the liars whether they be TSOs or anyone else.

You mean it isn't necessarily a violation and I certainy agree. If I call the police for a legitimate reason (e.g., a neighbor is playing loud music late at night) and the police, when responding, violate that person's civil rights, I have absolutely no liability for that.

In my opinion, the main reason why a case against the TSOs would be hard to make here is simply that the interaction is too short. The key to successful action is showing intent and I don't think that enough happened before the police took over to be able to do that. Incorrect information in an affidavit isn't enough: it's also necessary to show that the affiant intended to be untruthful, rather than had a faulty memory. And that's hard.
Old May 29, 2011, 8:52 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
You mean it isn't necessarily a violation and I certainy agree. If I call the police for a legitimate reason (e.g., a neighbor is playing loud music late at night) and the police, when responding, violate that person's civil rights, I have absolutely no liability for that.

In my opinion, the main reason why a case against the TSOs would be hard to make here is simply that the interaction is too short. The key to successful action is showing intent and I don't think that enough happened before the police took over to be able to do that. Incorrect information in an affidavit isn't enough: it's also necessary to show that the affiant intended to be untruthful, rather than had a faulty memory. And that's hard.
Have you read the affidavits? I haven't for a while, but I recall that they were pretty far from the truth. I think it might be hard to make the case that the TSOs all 'misremembered it wrong'* the exact same way in light of the tape. I just think it all adds up.

*http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...bered-it-wrong
Old May 29, 2011, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I attended Phil's trial in Albuquerque and can assure you that both TSA staff and police officers lied, but the police officer who arrested Phil was far and away the biggest, scariest liar. As I posted at the time, it was like watching Ted Bundy: a guy who appears to be perfectly normal, even charming, but is really a dangerous sociopath.

If I were going to sue anybody, it would be the Albuquerque Airport police. Suing TSA is a bit of a stretch, based on what I saw and heard at the trial.

Bruce
Old May 29, 2011, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
Have you read the affidavits? I haven't for a while, but I recall that they were pretty far from the truth.
I thought that was mostly the police, though. I don't recall them either, but I think the content from the TSA was pretty thin.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:15 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I attended Phil's trial in Albuquerque and can assure you that both TSA staff and police officers lied, but the police officer who arrested Phil was far and away the biggest, scariest liar. As I posted at the time, it was like watching Ted Bundy: a guy who appears to be perfectly normal, even charming, but is really a dangerous sociopath.
How come he was the one they chose to put on the stand?-- they had the whole brigade ready the first time 'round and then they came back and only put one cop on the stand.

Originally Posted by bdschobel
If I were going to sue anybody, it would be the Albuquerque Airport police. Suing TSA is a bit of a stretch, based on what I saw and heard at the trial.
Given his history, Officer Dildo by now should be used to being hauled into civil court on 1983 causes. During the civil trial, he gets to explain how the tape got deleted . . .

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I don't recall them either, but I think the content from the TSA was pretty thin.
Maybe I misremembered it wrong.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Ari
How come he was the one they chose to put on the stand?-- they had the whole brigade ready the first time 'round and then they came back and only put one cop on the stand....
You're correct. There were half a dozen, maybe eight, cops on the prosecution's witness list, but most of them could be shown to have perjured themselves at some time during the Mocek event and its aftermath. Thus, they weren't called to testify. The prosecution really had no choice about putting the arresting officer on the stand; if they hadn't, then the defense would have called him, I imagine. His lying was truly extraordinary. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like it. At age 59, I like to think that I can spot a liar, but this guy was impeccable. He was tripped up by technology. Without that, Phil would have been convicted -- which would have really been an injustice.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.