Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jesse "The Body" Ventura sues DHS, TSA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by TMOliver
While I'll confess a certain level of admiration for the breath of fresh air (even though well cloaked with self-promotion) Jesse brought to Minnesota's State House, I'd be willing to place a wager that his lawsuit, no matter how tenaciously pursued and aggrandized by media hype, Jesse attracting media frenzy at about the same rate that ants pursue spilled syrup, will end up in File #13 (the round one under the desk). Just as most of his short-lived investigations of popular conspiracies turned out to be more voracious than veracious, he's picked an even less likely to be successful target for his wrath this time around.

I suspect that a federal judge is likely (after rolling up his britches a couple of turns to keep them out of the BS) to make short work of this less than noble effort.

Jesse's a perfect subject for cable TV. After all, in a week bookended by "professional" wrestling, we need something midweek of equivalent credibility. Vince McMahon may have a better tailor but less dress sense than Jesse, but the two of them occupy equivalent niches in my Pantheon of "maxi-narcissists" whose most familiar facial expressions owe much to the late and unlamented il Duce and whose pronouncements resemble those of a traveling carnival barker.
Have you actually read the complaint, or are you just not a Jesse fan?

The complaint has as much chance of any at succeeding, perhaps better given that he should be better able to pay his lawyers. The added visibility from having a celebrity involved will not hurt.

Originally Posted by chugger1
I give credit to The Body but he is doing it for his own personal reasons. He justifies his lawsuit by stating he was a public servant, an armed forces veteran, etc, and therefore should be excempt from invasive screening.
Which plaintiff seeking similar injuntive relief is not doing it for his own personal reasons?

Oh, and to bolster your credibility, lose the ponytail. Amazing you didn't have your current "look" when you were running for governor.
When the media prints pictures of your governor wearing feather boas, it doesn't matter. Also, Jesse did have that "look" as the mayor who rode his Harley to work, and pretty much the entire metro area (perhaps most of the state) was aware of it.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 28, 2011 at 8:01 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Have you actually read the complaint, or are you just not a Jesse fan?

The complaint has as much chance of any at succeeding, perhaps better given that he should be better able to pay his lawyers. The added visibility from having a celebrity involved will not hurt.
Well, his suit has nothing much to do with protecting you from invasive groping, but relies on some claim that Jesse, like a large number of us (me, too) have been both "public servants" and are veterans of military service, and thus should be held to a lesser standard than Granny Frickert at the airport. That his metal hip sets of the scanners is a matter of debate. I'm carrying a bit of extra metal, and some days and in some places, my passgae sets off the alarms (and I suppose will set off a clamor in one of the new body scanners). I must admit that on the occasions upon which I witnessed the TSA minions carrying out legendary "grope fests", the exercise appeared not near so intrusive as I had been led to believe hereabouts.

Sympathetic as I was to some of Jesse's gubernatorial efforts, ever since, he's seemed to have hoisted himself aboard the bandwagon of largely self-imagined celebritydom. I wish I had more confidence that this latest bit of showboating was (a) likely to succeed, and (b) in doing so, might bring some relief to the traveling public from a ridiculous system designed more as a political ploy to impress the folks at home, than as a reinforcer of traveling safe from terrorists. I'd like to think he planned to pay his own legal counsel, but after viewing a few moments of his conspiracy show, I suspect that this too is a "put up deal"

Mike, this show is all for Jesse, not for you and the other Minneapolitans/Merkins.....

Excuse my cynicism, but I do rank Jesse's sincerity as being in the same quartile with that of the Czar of professional wrestling. Now, I've known several federal judges, none of whom seemed to give a tinker's damn for a plaintiff's celebrity status, and sadly, much of the available case law seems to come down on the gubmint's insensitive, intrusive side.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
The Too Stupid for Arbys smoke and mirrors travelling circus thinks it makes them look more credible to single out public figures for secondary screening.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by essxjay
How so? Ventura left public office 8 years ago to return to life in entertainment:
He gets to put 'Governor' before his name and everyone knows who he is.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I never thought I'd have anything in common with Jesse Ventura, then suddenly there's two things :
He says the new security measures violate his right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures.
Ventura had a hip replacement in 2008, and his titanium implant sets off metal detectors.
Originally Posted by bajajoes
It is useless for Jesse to go thru a scanner as he will always have an anomoly due to hip replacement.
That his metal hip sets of the scanners is a matter of debate. I'm carrying a bit of extra metal, and some days and in some places, my passgae sets off the alarms (and I suppose will set off a clamor in one of the new body scanners).
The body scanners don't alert on implanted metal like the WTMD do since they only see the surface of the body. That was supposed to be a selling point - people who alarmed the WTMD could choose the NoS if they didn't want the grope.

In theory.

In practice, the NoS has more problems than the grope - radiation exposure, saved images, inability to see your belongings, etc. And too many people who "choose" the NoS get the grope anyway. So it's not that useful for those of us with implants.

And in practice, of course, the NoS is not being used only as a choice for secondary for implant patients, but for primary for all passengers.

But I'm sure the TSA is still trying to convince people with implants that the NoS is there for their convenience.

Last edited by RadioGirl; Jan 25, 2011 at 10:15 pm
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:44 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Sooner or later, it's going to come before a judge to decide where the line is, in regards to administrative searches, and minimally invasive. When an appellate judge (or even the SCOTUS) declare the pat-downs as they exist today (which is more of a rub-down and squeeze) are minimally invasive administrative searches, then things will start to get interesting. It's just that no one has figured out (yet) how to get the right lawsuit into the right courtroom?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:07 am

For violating the constitution!!!

http://caivn.org/article/2011/01/26/...g-constitution

This is the most intelligent report on Ventura's law suit to date. No sensationalism, plenty of facts, and great analysis.

I particularly like the headline.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Caradoc
Frisks or gropes. Calling what the TSA has been doing a "pat-down" is disingenuous at best, and an outright misrepresentation or lie at worst.
I prefer molestation.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Excuse my cynicism, but I do rank Jesse's sincerity as being in the same quartile with that of the Czar of professional wrestling. Now, I've known several federal judges, none of whom seemed to give a tinker's damn for a plaintiff's celebrity status, and sadly, much of the available case law seems to come down on the gubmint's insensitive, intrusive side.
Seems there are a few too many 'unbiased' federal judges who don't care about a plaintiff's celebrity status but who do care all too much to favor the government in matters allegedly pertaining to 'national security'.

Interesting trivia note: according to one of our TSO posters here, his top boss is a former federal judge. Same airport that let Alvin Crabtree back on duty.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I give credit to The Body but he is doing it for his own personal reasons. He justifies his lawsuit by stating he was a public servant, an armed forces veteran, etc, and therefore should be excempt from invasive screening.
Actually, that is not justification. It is normal to give background information on the Plaintiff, and his background gives him some credibility.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by AUS2008
Seems like the comments on one article (at least) are running more for Ventura's stance, rather than the "AFS" outlook, which is unfortunately the case on the message board for the 'people who fly once a year.'
As someone who actually DOES fly only once a year, and to one of the stereotypical places (Disney World), I take great offense to being lumped in with the moronic AFS crowd.

Originally Posted by nbs2
I prefer molestation.
Um... Reading back, I gather from context that you actually mean you prefer the TERM "molestation" over the terms "frisks", "gropes", or "pat-downs". I hope.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: Delta, KLM, Luftansa
Recently, I watched his 9/11 conspiracy 'show'. It was very deeply offensive.

If he is not grandstanding and seriously pursues this case, the entire public will benefit and I wish him the best.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:41 pm

Ventura's suit was mentioned on NBC Nightly News on Jan. 27. Presenter Brian Williams added, "I'm sure many people would agree with him." So regardless of one's opinion of Jesse Ventura as a politician, he is bringing respectable attention to the problem of TSA searches.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:26 am

Isn't this a Familiar Scam?

http://kstp.com/article/stories/s2039417.shtml

The Feds tried this same delay/dodge with a FlyerTalk Member - right?

Yep - found it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...n-dismiss.html

Last edited by ElizabethConley; Mar 29, 2011 at 7:35 am Reason: More info
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:38 am

Jesse Ventura's case is being heard.
http://www.presstv.ir/usdetail/190589.html

"Former Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura lambasted at a federal court hearing 'un-American' security procedures implemented at airports across the nation in 2010.

He filed a lawsuit with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) in January, claiming their use of pat down searches at airport security checkpoints is unconstitutional. Pioneer Press reported that a lawyer for Ventura argued in federal court that the searches violate his Fourth Amendment right against unreasonable and unwarranted searches..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.