Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

POST HERE: What Congressperson have you contacted? Reaction?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

POST HERE: What Congressperson have you contacted? Reaction?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:35 am

This just in from Sen. Warner (Virginia)

Below is the response I just received from Senator Warner. What a bunch of tripe.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me with your views on aviation security. In order to best represent you as your United States Senator, it is vital that I hear your views on this and other important matters.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) plays a critical role in securing our aviation system. I understand your concerns with both full body scanners and pat down searches, and I believe that there must be a proper balance between security and privacy of passengers.

In the wake of the recent foiled terrorist plots, TSA has tightened their screening process in order to keep the traveling public safe in the air. In response to complaints about the new screening process, Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano announced on Monday, November 15, 2010 that TSA will review its procedures and will make adjustments where appropriate. I will continue to monitor the situation to ensure that TSA makes the necessary adjustments and that passengers are treated with dignity during the screening process.

Again, thanks for writing. Should you have any specific questions regarding TSA procedure, please visit its website at: www.tsa.gov. As we move forward in the 111th Congress, please continue to be in touch with your opinions.

Sincerely,
MARK R. WARNER
United States Senator
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:06 pm

Senator Johanns and Senator Nelson, both NE
Congressman Fortenberry, also NE

I used the forms on their respective websites. I also sent one directly to Senator Johanns email as it was indicated as an option at the bottom of the form.

And for whatever it's worth, I did the form on the White House website. I tried to find a form for Michelle Obama, but couldn't locate it.

Looking at some of these responses, it's somewhat disheartening to hear what the senators/congressmen are saying.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Elijah Cummings, Barbara Mikulski, Benjamin Cardin

All three office sent a form letter response to my first TSA complaints. The remaining letters have been ignored.
I called Cardin's office yesterday. Dutch was on WBAL yesterday supporting the pat-downs. I am calling his office Monday.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I called Rush Holt's office and had a nice conversation with a staffer. Still haven't heard from him, not even a form letter. We'll see.

Bruce
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:28 am

.. everyone is already on one side or the other before we even talk to them. Are you getting campaign contributions from a scanner manufacturer? If so, spew the "anything for security" line. If you're one of the few not on the take of a company in the security-military-Homeland Security complex (like Duncan, my Congressman, who was the only Republican to vote against the Iraq war), then you, like any reasonable person, think this enhanced pat-down is a POS, and that Homeland Security is a boondoggle.

And I can't understand why anyone thinks Chertoff's tie to the scanner manufacturers is news... we knew this within a month of him leaving his HS post.

Does it do any good to contact an individual member of Congress or a committee member? I don't think calling them does anything.

I propose this - Contact senior management of the airlines and pledging that you won't fly unless you have no choice (e.g., NY to LAX), and explain that you tried to contact Congressman X and they weren't any help, and carbon-copying that Congressman's office. Let the member of congress know that you're telling the airlines who is NOT on their side and who THEY should not support financially.

Use the corrupt system in your favor.

Who are all the house members and senators who have responded in a way that is deemed 'not helpful', and let's draft a common letter we can all use to Delta, United, etc.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 25, 2010 at 9:58 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: DL/PM SM/AMEX/Plat HH/Gold Marriott/Plat Starwood/Plat
Originally Posted by sdrevik
Who are all the house members and senators who have responded in a way that is deemed 'not helpful', and let's draft a common letter we can all use to Delta, United, etc.
+1
Also, if we can have a sticky with the house & senators for & against.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by bamin
+1
Also, if we can have a sticky with the house & senators for & against.
See this thread for contact information.

You can find your senators and representative.

Also, it would be great if new FT members check out the forum search function on the top navigation bar (dark blue). (It's not the greatest search function, but it helps quite a lot.)
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:41 pm

Response from Senator Lautenberg

Here's the response I received from Lautenberg, dated Nov. 9, but received today. Very squishy response. And I don't think my letter was even read, because nothing in it suggests that I want or need an explanation of what WBI is.

Dear Ellie M:

Thank you for contacting me about the use of Whole-Body Imaging (WBI) machines for aircraft passenger screening. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has begun using a type of WBI called the Millimeter Wave at nineteen airports across the country, and is the primary screening method at six of them. The Millimeter Wave allows screeners to take a snapshot of passengers without any physical contact to determine if there are dangerous weapons hidden under a passenger's clothes. TSA maintains that passenger privacy is protected by separating the officer viewing the image and blurring the face of the passenger. The viewing officer is remotely located and images cannot be stored, transmitted, or printed, and they are deleted immediately after viewing. The detailed nature of the photographs, however, has raised serious privacy concerns for passengers.

During consideration of the "Transportation Security Administration Authorization Act" (H.R. 2200) in the House of Representatives, an amendment was considered that would prohibit TSA from using WBI machines for primary screening, require TSA to give passengers a choice of a pat-down search instead of a WBI scan, and prohibit tSA from storing, transferring, or copying any images. This amendment was included in the final version of the bill passed by the House of Representatives.

The "Transportation Security Administration Authorization Act" has been referred to the Senate and is currently pending before the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. As a member of this Committee, please be assured that I will continue to monitor the progress of this bill and keep your views in mind should it come to a vote before the Committee. Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
Frank R. Lautenberg
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Ellie M
Here's the response I received from Lautenberg, dated Nov. 9, but received today. Very squishy response. And I don't think my letter was even read, because nothing in it suggests that I want or need an explanation of what WBI is.
They probably saw TSA, Concerns, WBI, and sent the appropriate form response
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ellie M
They need to stop referring to the dead amendment. The amendment in question, as several others have already stated, was attached to a FY09 funding bill which is now legislatively dead. By maintaining a reference to this, by multiple Senators, I am considering those responses to be collaborative intellectual dishonesty on the part of our elected officials (yes, I know it was probably done by their staffers, but this is an official communication from the Senate office and the Senator should be held accountable).
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:49 pm

They need to stop referring to the dead amendment. The amendment in question, as several others have already stated, was attached to a FY09 funding bill which is now legislatively dead. By maintaining a reference to this, by multiple Senators, I am considering those responses to be collaborative intellectual dishonesty on the part of our elected officials (yes, I know it was probably done by their staffers, but this is an official communication from the Senate office and the Senator should be held accountable).
Especially because the staffer wrote "As a member of this Committee, please be assured that I will continue to monitor the progress of this bill . . . ." Great job monitoring. He couldn't even follow bills before the committee, never mind taking a position or making a cogent response in the letter.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
Emailed comments via the websites last Tuesday (11/16) to both Texas Senators (Hutchison and Cornyn) as well as my House member (Burgess - TX 26th).

Received an auto-form response from Hutchison that I've deleted, otherwise I'd post. Very non-committal on her position.

No response from the other two.

Also emailed the White House (via their website) on Saturday 11/21 after I saw Obama's response that seemed to support these pat-downs. I wonder if he'd change his mind if his oldest daughter was subject to that type of search?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I called the office of Congressman John J. Duncan, Jr. of Tennessee, although I'm not a constituent, to commend his statements, and had a great conversation with a young staffer, during which I touted FT. ^

I e-mailed Senator Cantwell last week. After reading the lack of any reply to several previous posters, I guess I shouldn't be surprised not to have received one. Maybe tomorrow?

I just e-mailed my own Congressman Rick Larsen yesterday and will report back if he replies.

I am also contacting the White House FWIW.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:24 pm

Senator Webb of VA finally got around to having a lackey cut and paste a response. Why do they always talk about the balance of safety v. privacy? Why is it never normalized or weighed in view of the minuscule risk to my safety v. the guaranteed intrusion of my privacy?

Dear Mr. Mad_Max_Esq:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the implementation of potentially invasive pat-down procedures by the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA). I appreciate your taking the time to share your views with me.

Earlier this year, TSA began incorporating advanced imaging technology as part of the regular security screening procedures. These machines are able to create images that have the ability to reveal plastics and powders that a passenger may be hiding on their person. In October 2010, TSA announced that pat-down procedures would serve as an alternative to the advanced imaging screening when coupled with going through a metal detector. Although the pat-downs are intended to be brief and respectful, some argue that the process is intrusive and raises privacy questions. Proponents of aggressive security measures contend that such measures are necessary to prevent future terrorist attacks. These enhanced screening procedures enable TSA agents to locate non-metallic explosives that may be hidden under clothing, which is particularly important after the events of Christmas Day 2009, when a passenger attempted to ignite non-metallic explosives on board an airplane.

It is critical that we strike an appropriate balance between keeping air travel safe and preserving privacy rights. I believe that more must be done to improve intelligence collection and information sharing across federal agencies, even as we enhance the screening process. Please be assured that my staff and I will continue to examine this situation to ensure the best interests of our citizens are served. In the meantime, the Department of Homeland Security has created a Traveler Redress Inquiry Program (DHS TRIP) to address security screening related questions and complaints of travelers. To obtain further information, please visit www.DHS.GOV/TRIP.

Thank you once again for contacting me and my staff on this important matter. I hope that you will continue to share your views with us in the years ahead.

Sincerely,

Jim Webb
United States Senator
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Elijah Cummings, Barbara Mikulski, Benjamin Cardin

All three office sent a form letter response to my first TSA complaints. The remaining letters have been ignored.
Three of the worst people in the history of the U.S. Congress--if you had also contacted John "Nepotism" Sarbanes, you would have hit the superfecta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.