FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSO saying "heads up, got a cutie for you" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1147497-tso-saying-heads-up-got-cutie-you.html)

PTravel Nov 13, 2010 9:29 pm

Okay, I'm curious. No TSO is going to select a fat, middle-aged schlub like me to gawk at. However, my wife is still quite attractive, looking way younger than she is and possessed of a very nice body, if I do say so myself (I've never won the lottery, but I've been lucky in other ways). If she's selected for the NOS, she'll refuse and, presumably, be subjected to a grope. If so, I'm going to demand that I be present, not as her husband, but as her lawyer. My clients don't get questioned or searched by government agents unless I'm present.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

BearX220 Nov 13, 2010 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel (Post 15136042)
If she's selected for the NOS, she'll refuse and, presumably, be subjected to a grope. If so, I'm going to demand that I be present, not as her husband, but as her lawyer. My clients don't get questioned or searched by government agents unless I'm present.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Interesting indeed. A lot of opt-outers report being surrounded by absurd numbers of TSOs in an apparent attempt at intimidation. Interesting to see what happens when you turn the tables and announce that their target has legal counsel standing right there. Hopefully with a working camera-phone.

Scubatooth Nov 13, 2010 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 15136059)
Interesting indeed. A lot of opt-outers report being surrounded by absurd numbers of TSOs in an apparent attempt at intimidation. Interesting to see what happens when you turn the tables and announce that their target has legal counsel standing right there. Hopefully with a working camera-phone.

Be careful of the state your in and its wire-tapping laws, but i think PT has the bases more then covered.

BearX220 Nov 13, 2010 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Scubatooth (Post 15136079)
Be careful of the state your in and its wire-tapping laws, but i think PT has the bases more then covered.

IANAL, but he sure is.

karob Nov 13, 2010 10:11 pm

me, too.

Sometime about a year ago I was flying out of Denver, before I knew what the new scanners were doing. The TSO kind of smirked at me and said "you have to go in here now" which I thought was odd because I thought it was a metal detector, and I always go through them. They scanned me three or four times, saying they saw something odd on my back, but there wasn't anything odd on my back. I offered to raise the back of my shirt so they could look at my bra strap. (I was wearing a bra with a double strap in the back, which I guess may have looked odd... maybe.) Then the officers said "no no, you don't have to do that, you can go now."

I'm 30, and I'm not hourglass-figure-hot but I am thin and athletic. I remember complaining to someone in the airport that the whole experience had seemed fishy, but I didn't think about it again until I found out months later what the scanners were doing.

I'm pretty dismayed that they abused my trust... I would have assumed they'd at least tell me what's happening before violating my religion. And I'm also pretty creeped out. Now I opt for the pat-down, even though it takes longer. =(

BearX220 Nov 13, 2010 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by karob (Post 15136208)
They scanned me three or four times, saying they saw something odd on my back, but there wasn't anything odd on my back... I remember complaining to someone in the airport that the whole experience had seemed fishy, but I didn't think about it again until I found out months later what the scanners were doing.

Please consider filing a formal complaint, even with the delay. I would consider the possibility that you were being used for prurient amusement purposes. Welcome to Flyertalk; I wish you were joining under happier circumstances.

JumboD Nov 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by makfan (Post 15135710)
Not to get too personal, but as a gay man, I get no thrill out of having a male TSO grope me. It's just a disgusting situation.

Have you considered making them aware of this when the pat-down begins :D. I mean, after all, isn't transparent information the most important thing?

"You'll have to excuse me, I'm a homosexual, and as everyone knows, homosexual males desire sex with every other male they encounter, so should I involuntarily become aroused, you have my appologies in advance."

See how carefully you are patted down then ;).

KSinNYC Nov 14, 2010 12:35 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 15132999)
[B]
PLEASE ask your captain to publicize this every way he can while protecting his daughter's identity. (snip) PLEASE resist at checkpoints, even if it means flight cancellations... activist flight crews are a key point of leverage for us in this battle. If enough of you resist the system grinds to a halt. Remember that TSA has chosen to go to war with you and your customers. PLEASE do not submit to government-sanctioned sexual assault as a job requirement... and PLEASE tell your captain friend how many passengers sympathize with him, and stand with him and his daughter.

+1

avsfan733 Nov 14, 2010 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Scubatooth (Post 15133790)
Not all of them are, but they are all in the clear others are on a reversal codec but that is easy to correct and you can look up the freq online. I always have my radio with me(digital recorder plugged in as well) and i have a 3x5 card with the frequencies on it so i can see what clerks are upto and saying.

For a decent frequency list try (great site btw):
TSA RADIO FREQUENCY LIST
You can also look up specific airports with mixed success...here for example is the frequency plan for PHX:

172.15000 TSA-1 Transportation Security Administration - Security Checkpoint P25 Federal
172.90000 TSA-2 Transportation Security Administration - Security Checkpoint P25 Federal
169.30000 TSA-3 Transportation Security Administration - Security Checkpoint P25 Federal
Scuba, can you comment on your experience carrying your radio? I have always avoided mine partially due to size reasons and partially out of not wanting to deal with what I feel is the inevitable stupidity. Might be interesting to see what I can pick up next time I am waiting for someone in the cell phone lot. ^

Originally Posted by JumboD (Post 15136381)
"You'll have to excuse me, I'm a homosexual, and as everyone knows, homosexual males desire sex with every other male they encounter, so should I involuntarily become aroused, you have my appologies in advance."

Thats my general response the couple times I previously got SSSS'ed. It will continue if I encounter this silly new patdown. A relatively loud 'oh look I get a cutie' seems to do a lot expedite the patdowns...it may help that I am not the least bit attractive.

babe11 Nov 14, 2010 3:18 am

Karob you described my experience to the tee

Karob, What you described was basically what happened to me last Tues, Nov 9th in TPA.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, a woman just has this feeling when a situation is becoming perverted. The body language, the smirk (not smile) and personal enjoyment of a VERY uncomfortable event.

As I read the posts here and google this topic, it's obvious woman and children are consistently targeted. The accounts are overwhelming.

Hopefully, together we can get our rights back.

phedre Nov 14, 2010 7:09 am

Originally Posted by babe11 (Post 15136975)
As I read the posts here and google this topic, it's obvious woman and children are consistently targeted. The accounts are overwhelming.

Well, we ARE supposed to be more docile and accepting of harassment than you big, strong menfolk :rolleyes:

ScatterX Nov 14, 2010 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Scubatooth (Post 15136079)

This should definitely not fall under wiretapping. Either way, I'd love to see TSA push this angle. For TSA to put forth an argument that they have an expectation of privacy---in a public area where you are virtually stripped searched (using imagers and cameras) and under constant surveillance (more cameras)---is beyond ludicrous.

In the case mentioned, the lawyer of the person being groped should insist that he has the right to be present and record the government searching his client. TSA would disagree (of course). I would love to see this get ugly, go to trial, and get as much publicity as possible.

BearX220 Nov 14, 2010 8:51 am

Originally Posted by ScatterX (Post 15137573)
For TSA to put forth an argument that they have an expectation of privacy---in a public area where you are virtually stripped searched (using imagers and cameras) and under constant surveillance (more cameras)---is beyond ludicrous.

NSA has successfully suppressed most details of its own programs and operations while asserting rights to scrutinize email, phone calls, and financial transactions of everyday Americans. TSA will take a cue from them.

Scubatooth Nov 14, 2010 10:47 am

Originally Posted by avsfan733 (Post 15136641)
Scuba, can you comment on your experience carrying your radio? I have always avoided mine partially due to size reasons and partially out of not wanting to deal with what I feel is the inevitable stupidity. Might be interesting to see what I can pick up next time I am waiting for someone in the cell phone lot.

The radios I use when i travel are handheld that at most put out 5w of power, there small and compact and travel well and can be broken down with the antennas removed very easily. there nothing like the ones(Yes plural) i have in the car or at home that have much more power and better reception.

I have a more powerful radio that travels in a pelican 1510 case(including battery for power(~24hrs) but all sorts of problems would occur if i started to put up a portable buddy pole in a terminal. Heck the looks from walking around with a pigtail in my ear are bad enough, let alone wearing a throat mic set up.

Give me till the end of the day or tomorrow and i will post a list of channels/Frequencies that i can dig up. As my cards are not with me there in my go kit that is currently a 20+ hour drive from me (its a 3 hour flight, but not a chance in he double hockey sticks im flying now).

Originally Posted by avsfan733 (Post 15136641)
Thats my general response the couple times I previously got SSSS'ed. It will continue if I encounter this silly new patdown. A relatively loud 'oh look I get a cutie' seems to do a lot expedite the patdowns...it may help that I am not the least bit attractive.

Oh that would be a great situation to film. I bet the reaction on the clerks face would be priceless.

goalie Nov 14, 2010 10:50 am

Absolutely disgusting behavior and I hope that it can be proven but you know the TSA :rolleyes: :td:. Now, I wonder if the radio calls made by TSO's are recorded as they are with leo's & fire departments.