FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSO saying "heads up, got a cutie for you" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1147497-tso-saying-heads-up-got-cutie-you.html)

CubsFanJohn Nov 13, 2010 3:06 pm

HORRIBLE!!!!! It is time that we American's stop being WIMPS and raise bloody hell about this.

AUS2008 Nov 13, 2010 4:11 pm

This thread scares the crap out of me on behalf of my niece, who is a college freshman and flying home for one of the upcoming holidays through DEN. She has the cutest figure ever and while I hate the thought of someone seeing her virtual strip search, I hate even more the thought of her being fondled. Have talked to her mother about this. Fingers crossed that she is not traumatized. Though I am on the opt out bandwagon myself, I almost wonder if, for her, the humiliation she won't see (or maybe not be as aware of) with the NOS might be better than the physical humiliation of the grope. ugh. :mad:

BearX220 Nov 13, 2010 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by AUS2008 (Post 15134766)
I almost wonder if, for her, the humiliation she won't see (or maybe not be as aware of) with the NOS might be better than the physical humiliation of the grope.

The fact that she will be viewed virtually naked by a TSO who may be male, and may be enjoying the "show" in a prurient manner (there are many reports of attractive young girls being recruited and pressured to go through the NoS; it's possible that TSOs work in teams to procure "eye candy" for one another), and that her image may be saved for later review / enjoyment, combined with the medical impact of the ionized radiation which ought to be a concern for all women of childbearing age, should compel her to go through the assaultive patdown, as sickening a choice as it is. Please encourage your niece to become politically active as a result of this experience if it happens.

GadgetFreak Nov 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by DevilDog438 (Post 15134237)
I would followo the suggestion that has been made on a couple of threads now - send the recordings and information to the DHS IG.

And the General Accounting Office. Even the other Feds are afraid of those folks.

manneca Nov 13, 2010 4:22 pm

This thread scares the crap out of me on behalf of my niece, who is a college freshman and flying home for one of the upcoming holidays through DEN. She has the cutest figure ever and while I hate the thought of someone seeing her virtual strip search, I hate even more the thought of her being fondled. Have talked to her mother about this. Fingers crossed that she is not traumatized. Though I am on the opt out bandwagon myself, I almost wonder if, for her, the humiliation she won't see (or maybe not be as aware of) with the NOS might be better than the physical humiliation of the grope. ugh. :mad:

At least the grope will be done by a woman. Maybe

Scubatooth Nov 13, 2010 4:35 pm

Pm me the who what and where of the GAO and I'll make another package.

Hmm I think I perked a few ears up on the TSA freq's and listening in on them. It's good that there will be more people looking to listen in on them.

Boggie Dog Nov 13, 2010 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by JoeBas (Post 15133552)
This is a serious question, that I'd love to know the answer to.

Professionals have absolutely no issue with this kind of information being recorded:

Police/Fire/EMS transmissions are routinely recorded.
Air Traffic transmissions are routinely recorded.
Railroad transmissions are routinely recorded.
Pretty much ANY profession that uses radio as a primary means of communication is recorded.

This would serve a number of very valuable functions:

Protect the TSO from false claims (such as they'll claim the one made in this thread is false in 3, 2, 1...)
Provide invaluable audio commentary/evidence when (not if, but WHEN) there actually is a terrorist incident at the huge pile in front of the checkpoint - only a matter of time.
Allow for consistent monitoring and training to ensure employees are adhering to SOP.
Allow for better identification and weeding out of "Bad apple" TSOs who refuse remedial action, thereby improving their image with the public.

Just off the top of my head.

REAL PROFESSIONALS have no problem having this information recorded. Does the TSA?

I think you have answered your own question.

TSA has no professionals.

BearX220 Nov 13, 2010 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 15135196)
TSA has no professionals.

Hey, you know I love your posts, but I think that's a little extreme. TSA is saddled with a considerable number of thugs, drones, crooks and sadists who wreck the agency's public profile. It's also saddled with a weak and stupid management that spends its time bolting the doors of empty barns and either doesn't know how to professionalize the rank and file or chooses not to. But you have to believe there are plenty of TSOs who are trying to execute this stupid, crippled policy to the best of their ability. I think there must be plenty of professionals in there who are privately horrified at being ordered to turn on the citizens who pay their salaries.

LV702 Nov 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Scubatooth (Post 15134887)
Pm me the who what and where of the GAO and I'll make another package.

Hmm I think I perked a few ears up on the TSA freq's and listening in on them. It's good that there will be more people looking to listen in on them.

Check your PM's, I gave you every media outlet in the MIA/FLL area.

They will *Love* this.

makfan Nov 13, 2010 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA (Post 15133580)
You know comments like this is what makes all of this disgusting for us women! Its not a freakin joke!

Not to get too personal, but as a gay man, I get no thrill out of having a male TSO grope me. It's just a disgusting situation.

Boggie Dog Nov 13, 2010 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 15135228)
Hey, you know I love your posts, but I think that's a little extreme. TSA is saddled with a considerable number of thugs, drones, crooks and sadists who wreck the agency's public profile. It's also saddled with a weak and stupid management that spends its time bolting the doors of empty barns and either doesn't know how to professionalize the rank and file or chooses not to. But you have to believe there are plenty of TSOs who are trying to execute this stupid, crippled policy to the best of their ability. I think there must be plenty of professionals in there who are privately horrified at being ordered to turn on the citizens who pay their salaries.

If they are engaged in the latest screening methods that degrade citizens and visitors to this country then I do not consider those people to be professional.

Sorry!

Fredd Nov 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 15135720)
If they are engaged in the latest screening methods that degrade citizens and visitors to this country then I do not consider those people to be professional.

Sorry!

What makes them professional? Is it the badge?

A quick search leads to this for professional + screener. ;)

AUS2008 Nov 13, 2010 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 15134788)
The fact that she will be viewed virtually naked by a TSO who may be male, and may be enjoying the "show" in a prurient manner (there are many reports of attractive young girls being recruited and pressured to go through the NoS; it's possible that TSOs work in teams to procure "eye candy" for one another), and that her image may be saved for later review / enjoyment, combined with the medical impact of the ionized radiation which ought to be a concern for all women of childbearing age, should compel her to go through the assaultive patdown, as sickening a choice as it is. Please encourage your niece to become politically active as a result of this experience if it happens.

well, according to the sticky post, it is MMW at DEN, so radiation is not an issue. But the rest of it...I will discuss it further with her mother. She is a sensitive sweet girl and I don't want to alarm her, though hopefully, she will take the same concern as that 17 y/o from the other thread who is being very thoughtful and smart about her potential exposures (no pun intended).

janetdoe Nov 13, 2010 8:52 pm

You do have the right to ask the gender of the person reading the scanned images and decide whether or not to opt out based on that information. That is what CAIR recommended to Muslim women. (discussed in another thread)

gatelouse Nov 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Is she able to fly through COS instead? No NoS there.