Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by prushing
...He then told me I could keep my comments to myself....
Well, then they wouldn't be comments, would they?

Bruce
Old May 6, 2011, 4:16 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I wonder how many hours of training it took to develop those skills? Rolling the eyes can be really hard.

Bruce
Yes.

One of the required tests for TSA employment is patting your head and rubbing your belly at the same time.

And they say it's esay getting a job with the TSA?
Old May 6, 2011, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I opted out at MCI tonight. Actually got a courteous older gentleman who was professional throughout our intimate moments together, not the jack-A I got last time.

One interesting thing I noticed: a little clipboard where they were keeping track of opt-outs. I don't know if it was opt-outs all day, for the current shift, or what. Only thing interesting was that dudes were opting out about 3x as often as ladies. It appeared to be about 15 to 5.

Has anyone tried flirting with their groper? I wonder how that'd go over...
Old May 6, 2011, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I wonder how many hours of training it took to develop those skills? Rolling the eyes can be really hard.

Bruce
Don't forget the work it takes to throw their hands into the sky!

Originally Posted by pinniped
I opted out at MCI tonight. Actually got a courteous older gentleman who was professional throughout our intimate moments together, not the jack-A I got last time.

One interesting thing I noticed: a little clipboard where they were keeping track of opt-outs. I don't know if it was opt-outs all day, for the current shift, or what. Only thing interesting was that dudes were opting out about 3x as often as ladies. It appeared to be about 15 to 5.

Has anyone tried flirting with their groper? I wonder how that'd go over...
Which airline were you flying from MCI?
Old May 6, 2011, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Which airline were you flying from MCI?
Southwest.

They had about 20 TSA employees there, most milling around talking to one another. Two X-ray machines open, both on the side next to the Nude-o-scope. I was hoping to slip through the WTMD...no such luck.

Last week, they had a third X-ray machine open by the WTMD not adjacent to the Nude-o-Scope. If you go that direction, I don't think you ever get shunted back to the Nude-o-Scope...but I could be wrong. Whenever it's an option, I go that way and always get through ungroped.
Old May 8, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Hmmmm. Can I ask for specifics, as I'm due to fly out of MCI in a week or two...?

Don't they have NoS/WTMD at every gate area, pretty much (MCI has an unusual circular layout not lending itself to one centralized security zone.) You mean there are three WTMD per your particular boarding area...?

My first real opt out was at MCI last year...not much looking forward to going through it again, although I was joined by a young woman complaining loudly about her grope as I went through my own...
Old May 8, 2011, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Hmmmm. Can I ask for specifics, as I'm due to fly out of MCI in a week or two...?

Don't they have NoS/WTMD at every gate area, pretty much (MCI has an unusual circular layout not lending itself to one centralized security zone.) You mean there are three WTMD per your particular boarding area...?

My first real opt out was at MCI last year...not much looking forward to going through it again, although I was joined by a young woman complaining loudly about her grope as I went through my own...
Not every gate area has the NoS. IIRC, only WN and DL? use them; every other airline is "safe". Some of the checkpoints, such as UA are so small, that there is no way they could fit a RapeScanner or MMW in there, unless the WTMD was taken out.
Old May 8, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Not every gate area has the NoS. IIRC, only WN and DL? use them; every other airline is "safe". Some of the checkpoints, such as UA are so small, that there is no way they could fit a RapeScanner or MMW in there, unless the WTMD was taken out.
Regarding the NOS at the Southwest gates, after you get your ID checked, go to the right. The NOS is to the left. Even if your gate number is on the left, you can get to it from the right. There is access behind a wall lining the screening area. You can see the NOS before choosing which side to send your carry on bag and yourself through for x-rays and avoid getting a dose on yourself.

I have not flown DL since the NOS were installed in Kansas City so I don't know if you cab avoid it at the DL gates. My next trip this week is with AA so I don't have to worry about getting radiated.
Old May 8, 2011, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
Regarding the NOS at the Southwest gates, after you get your ID checked, go to the right. The NOS is to the left. Even if your gate number is on the left, you can get to it from the right. There is access behind a wall lining the screening area. You can see the NOS before choosing which side to send your carry on bag and yourself through for x-rays and avoid getting a dose on yourself.

I have not flown DL since the NOS were installed in Kansas City so I don't know if you cab avoid it at the DL gates. My next trip this week is with AA so I don't have to worry about getting radiated.
I was rerouted on DL a few weeks ago, and did not see a single NoS at the checkpoint. Do they have multiple gate areas? My area just had WTMD.
Old May 10, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
BOS Terminal A - 5/10/2011, 3:15 p.m.

Decided to switch it up a bit today - I usually go through the far left checkpoint at Terminal A, but today I went through the far right one.

BSX NoS appeared to be primary, with people being sent to the WTMD only if the NoS was occupied. Attempted self opt out but was unsuccessful. When I asked my screener to please change her gloves pre-pat down, she replied, "We are supposed to do that anyway." (If only we were so lucky.) She put her hands in my shirt neckline, in my pants waistband, all the way up my legs to my crotch, and through my hair (twice). She also removed my headband before she ran her hands through my hair (how romantic).

Fourth patdown of 2011, and it's only May. I will fire off the next round of letters and complaints later this week. I <3 Amerika.
Old May 10, 2011, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by eturowski
Decided to switch it up a bit today - I usually go through the far left checkpoint at Terminal A, but today I went through the far right one.

BSX NoS appeared to be primary, with people being sent to the WTMD only if the NoS was occupied. Attempted self opt out but was unsuccessful. When I asked my screener to please change her gloves pre-pat down, she replied, "We are supposed to do that anyway." (If only we were so lucky.) She put her hands in my shirt neckline, in my pants waistband, all the way up my legs to my crotch, and through my hair (twice). She also removed my headband before she ran her hands through my hair (how romantic).

Fourth patdown of 2011, and it's only May. I will fire off the next round of letters and complaints later this week. I <3 Amerika.
THANK YOU for writing letters!! Maybe you should start contacting local media or local radio stations or local newspapers? The mainstream media doesn't seem to care about the average person. Maybe if enough people complain, they will finally look at it!!

BTW, how can it be random if you're chosen all the time?!
Old May 10, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by average_passenger
THANK YOU for writing letters!! Maybe you should start contacting local media or local radio stations or local newspapers? The mainstream media doesn't seem to care about the average person. Maybe if enough people complain, they will finally look at it!!
I consider it my civic duty to let my congresscritters know if I am displeased with my government. I write letters after every pat down. I am not sure how seriously they are taken, or how sick an intern gets of reading them and copy/pasting a response, but at least I am creating a paper trail and upping the complaint tally. Every. Single. Time.

Originally Posted by average_passenger
BTW, how can it be random if you're chosen all the time?!
Yeah, tell me about it. Hence the quotation marks in my signature. I am batting .444 so far this year.
Old May 10, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**

GROSS!!!!! How did you maintain your composure? I would've lost it completely...
Old May 11, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
SDOO Fail at PIT

I was observing the main checkpoint for awhile for the first/business/preferred line to empty out. When it was empty I approach and self selected a WTMD lane. When the moat dragon blocked the WTMD, I knew I was in trouble. Then I opted out alongside the guy in the NoS lane almost simultaneously. ^

It was mostly female TSOs, so we had to wait for our male assist. I took one for the team today, and I'm proud to say the Chertoff Cancer Box was shut down until at least I was done opting out. ^^

This also marks the first time I've been let through the glass gate. (I didn't step through the WTMD or the backscatter machine.)

TSOs were friendly this morning and didn't give me any grief. I was on my way in less than 5 minutes, but it's still an unnecessary aggravation.
Old May 11, 2011, 9:00 am
Suspended

She put her hands in my shirt neckline, in my pants waistband, all the way up my legs to my crotch, and through my hair (twice). She also removed my headband before she ran her hands through my hair (how romantic).
In that order? Hasn't she ever heard of "clean to dirty?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.