Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Intl pax held 4 hours on 100-degree plane at BDL, more DHS and airline stupidity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intl pax held 4 hours on 100-degree plane at BDL, more DHS and airline stupidity

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
An airline, Virgin included, is a business. The business priority is to get the airplane and the crew where they are supposed to be, the passengers are literally just along for the ride.

When they diverted to BDL I'm sure the plan, most likely confirmed with the ops dept, was to wait until EWR opened up and then proceed there as soon as possible. It didn't work, the crew became illegal at which time plan B came into effect. Or would have had there been a plan B.

The "liars" in this episode are, as usual, the spokespersons. Or maybe they were just misinformed .

As for diverting elsewhere, we'd have to know at exactly what point in the flight it became known that EWR was not achievable. If BDL was the closest at the time then it would make little sense to turn around and go elsewhere.
The passengers may just be along for the ride but they are the whole reason for the ride, the airplane, the crew and the business.

The purpose of the business is to get passengers to their destination in a timely manner.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The passengers may just be along for the ride but they are the whole reason for the ride, the airplane, the crew and the business.

The purpose of the business is to get passengers to their destination in a timely manner.
I didn't say purpose, I said priority (for a given flight).
Originally Posted by jamesdebcer
one of the passengers simply grabbed his stuff, opened the door
So the escape slide didn't deploy then ?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I didn't say purpose, I said priority (for a given flight).So the escape slide didn't deploy then ?
OK, priority. The priority of an airline is to get passengers from point a to point b in an efficient manner. Crew, aircraft and the rest of the infrastructure needed to do that is what the airlines provide to get the job done.

Priority, purpose or any other term one might choose still leads back to getting passengers from one place.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
Montreal is 331 miles from Newark. Philadelphia is 77.
I think you misunderstood. Montreal is pretty close to BDL and probably a similar distance as Philadelphia. (Approx. 4-5 hrs driving to both). Depending where the flight was it was decided that it could not land in EWR, Montreal might have been a good option.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
OK, priority. The priority of an airline is to get passengers from point a to point b in an efficient manner. Crew, aircraft and the rest of the infrastructure needed to do that is what the airlines provide to get the job done.

Priority, purpose or any other term one might choose still leads back to getting passengers from one place.
I'm not going to argue the point.

If you want to believe that the passengers are the no. 1 priority governing the operation of a flight, go ahead. Maybe it should be, but it ain't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.