Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customs Dog Attacks 4-Year-Old Girl @ IAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Post Customs Dog Attacks 4-Year-Old Girl @ IAD

Customs Dog Attacks 4-Year-Old Girl

02/18/10

Dulles International Airport - The U.S. Customs and Border Patrol says one of its dogs bit a 4-year-old girl during a training exercise at Dulles International Airport.

Spokeswoman Kelly Ivahnenko says it happened Thursday about 10:30 a.m. at the domestic terminal baggage facility. She said it was not known why the dog, a Belgian malinois, bit the child.

Ivahnenko says the girl was bitten on the abdomen and received immediate medical attention and was taken to a hospital. Her condition is not known.
Linkage to the rest
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
DHS - Keeping America Safe.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
"Bring out the trash Thursday"? After that plane crash nobody is gonna care for the DHS injuring the very same citizen it pledges to protect and any criticism of DHS in times of crisis is naturally forbidden, isn't it?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:13 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
ka-ching!

Spokeswoman Kelly Ivahnenko says dog bites are not common and the agency is making every effort to find out what happened and take appropriate steps to prevent a dog bite from happening again.
ok kelly baby....

• dog bites are common
  • put the dog down* and you will prevent this from happening again with this dog.
  • muzzle all cbp dogs and you will prevent all future dog bites

*i am a major animal lover with 2 dogs for my first 33 years before i switched over to cats so it does pain me to say put the animal down but it has to be done.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
ka-ching!

ok kelly baby....

[*]dog bites are common[*]put the dog down* and you will prevent this from happening again with this dog.

I think what she means is dog bites are not common in the agency.

I agree the dog should be put down.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Two words - BIG lawsuit.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The article says this happened by the domestic baggage claim. What is CBP doing with dogs around the domestic terminal baggage facility?

Perhaps a nice lawsuit will motivate DHS to stop letting the dogs out like this.

Nothing to stop DHS from muzzling the animals.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Poor kid. I hope that she wasn't badly hurt and isn't afraid of dogs in the future.

As to the handler who allowed this to happen, well, I hope he has deep pockets for the up coming legal actions against him Wonder if they will put the dog down so as to do a rabies check?.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by AngryMiller
As to the handler who allowed this to happen, well, I hope he has deep pockets for the up coming legal actions against him
You don't think the federal government would take care of that?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
[*]dog bites are common[*]put the dog down* and you will prevent this from happening again with this dog.
Are service dog bites common, though? I've worked in two police departments over 34 years and can't think of any accidental dog bites off the top of my head (though many bites when the dogs were sent in search of a criminal).
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ka-ching!

ok kelly baby....

• dog bites are common
  • put the dog down* and you will prevent this from happening again with this dog.
  • muzzle all cbp dogs and you will prevent all future dog bites

*i am a major animal lover with 2 dogs for my first 33 years before i switched over to cats so it does pain me to say put the animal down but it has to be done.
I say let's rehab the dog and put down the handler.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by tom911
You don't think the federal government would take care of that?
Maybe not if he is named as one of the defendants in the lawsuit. Had a boss who was a state employee who told OSHA that he would be protected against any fines/penalties by the fact he was a government employee. OSHA put him into his place.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I say let's rehab the dog and put down the handler.
^

Good thing I don't fly anymore. If this happened to my kid the handler would be in traction.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The article says this happened by the domestic baggage claim. What is CBP doing with dogs around the domestic terminal baggage facility?
A training exercise. No reason they can't train on the domestic side I suppose.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Maybe not if he is named as one of the defendants in the lawsuit. Had a boss who was a state employee who told OSHA that he would be protected against any fines/penalties by the fact he was a government employee. OSHA put him into his place.
Is there really a decent chance the dog handler could be sued? Quite the dysfunctional system south of the 49th, eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.