Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Just say "No!" - Drink Testing at some airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just say "No!" - Drink Testing at some airports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2010, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon
The test is vapor based, and all liquids emit vapors. Many solids do as well, but using these test strips on solids is a bit impractical, easier and more accurate to use an ETD machine.

A few facts can take you a long way.
How about making it into a fact rather than a generalization:

Do these TSA strips trigger on 3% H2O2 when held above a container for 5 seconds or not?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 2:04 pm

Ron

Maybe you can answer this.

In all the probable thousands of tests, did any ever give a positive reading?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat, Virgin: Silver, Midwest, US Airways: Gold, NW, Lufthansa: Freq Trav
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Interestingly, "Homeland Security Research" has already determined those don't work well to detect sarin, even when dipped (of course sarin could be easily taken into an airport, since it is very toxic even in very small quantities, that would never be seen by the agents, or could comfortably be placed in the Kippie). It was also tested for detection abilities for cyanide (failed both when dipping and in vapor form), hydrogen peroxide (they only tested in liquid, of course, because you would not expect it to vaporize), fluoride (failed), chlorine and hydrogen sulfide (which I can detect by smell alone!).

Actually, searching that site for "Hazmat strips" gives quite a few interesting leads. This document (pdf - copied to my hard drive, since it will disappear) basically examines many available techniques to detect sarin, and states which worked or not.

Had this happen to me at ORD today. Because of what I have learned from many of you I politely asked 'what is the probable cause'? She didn't understand what I was asking so she asked if she could test my coffee again. Again I repeated my question 'what is the probable cause'? Her exact response was 'I don't know no cause, I just wanna test your drink' So I said 'state your probable cause or get someone of legal authority'. And she said, my supervisor is on break and walked away. Thank you all again for teaching me the best way to combat stupidity with the smurfs.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by wboll
Had this happen to me at ORD today. Because of what I have learned from many of you I politely asked 'what is the probable cause'? She didn't understand what I was asking so she asked if she could test my coffee again. Again I repeated my question 'what is the probable cause'? Her exact response was 'I don't know no cause, I just wanna test your drink' So I said 'state your probable cause of get someone of legal authority'. And she said, my supervisor is on break and walked away. Thank you all again for teaching me the best way to combat stupidity with the smurfs.
^ And you lived to tell your tale.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pluma
Ron

Maybe you can answer this.

In all the probable thousands of tests, did any ever give a positive reading?
You'd better restate that to a real positive (not false positive) reading.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 2:26 pm
Suspended

And she said, my supervisor is on break and walked away. Thank you all again for teaching me the best way to combat stupidity with the smurfs.
We've been reading a lot about screeners claiming their supervisor is on a break, haven't we?

Thank you for practicing what you have learned on TS/S.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
LOL <brief hand wave gesture> "You don't need to test my drink..."
Old Jan 25, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Had this happen to me at ORD today. Because of what I have learned from many of you I politely asked 'what is the probable cause'? She didn't understand what I was asking so she asked if she could test my coffee again. Again I repeated my question 'what is the probable cause'? Her exact response was 'I don't know no cause, I just wanna test your drink' So I said 'state your probable cause or get someone of legal authority'. And she said, my supervisor is on break and walked away. Thank you all again for teaching me the best way to combat stupidity with the smurfs.
Nice ^
Old Jan 25, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Million Miler
"They're just following orders!"
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
A similar, obscene liquid insanity "test" happened to FTer xyzzy at Sea-Tac a few weeks ago.
Liquid insanity at SEA - random testing of passenger beverages at the gate

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer

No TSA agent is going to put "toxins" in your drink. In fact, they aren't going to put anything in there. They would have waved their magic paper above your drink, dropped a liquid on it, and then moved on.

Before you cry date rape, you might want to check the facts.
Simply click the link in my signature.

Last edited by RoyalFlush; Jan 25, 2010 at 3:08 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
didn't I read that ih PHL an agent tried to put some..

Originally Posted by Spiff
TSA employees have been convicted of selling drugs, running guns, theft, and many other felonies. Who's to say they are above other crimes like rape, murder, and terrorism? Those background checks that are so often touted as the reason TSA employees aren't searched into/out of the airside area and get to ignore other rules that passengers are forced to obey don't seem to predict an absence of criminal behavior very well.
Didn't just a couple of days back a TSA put a powder in a young lady's bag as a prank and was fired?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
Originally Posted by TSORon
The test strips do not touch the liquid being tested. What is in the eye dropper and bottle is distilled water. The distilled water goes on the test strip, not in the liquid being tested.

The test is vapor based, and all liquids emit vapors. Many solids do as well, but using these test strips on solids is a bit impractical, easier and more accurate to use an ETD machine.

A few facts can take you a long way.
We have all observed that due to an abundance of caution, as well as dedication to consistent inconsistency, different TSO's do things differently. I do not want a random stranger TSO handling my food and drinks at the gate. At least those who prepared it in the sterile area restaurant have the relevant food handler certificate as required by local regulations; if they are non-compliant, they face consequences, unlike the TSO. The TSO may spill the drink, or the "distilled water," or drop the strip into my drink, or may put an unidentified powder into "as a joke."

I've had enough college chemistry (3 years) to believe greentips' assessment, and have observed the reports of TSO criminal activity cited by Spiff. This leads me to conclude there is no value to this testing, but considerable risk of my drink being inadvertently (or deliberately) contaminated. May you test my drink? No, thank you.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:38 pm

You can pry my drink out of my cold, dead hands.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:45 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Did they think the OP was actually going to drink harmful stuff? Even if he were a terrorist, drinking such a liquid would probably put him out of commission preventing him from doing evil things.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by greentips
is this just some dumbish BDO tactic to con a person who has already cleared your excellent screening station into reacting when you discover his true intent to blow up the airplane by buying an expensive cup of pre-cleared coffee from the secured area?
Damn those terrorists.

Yeah its just a behavioral thing, nothing to do with testing. They want to observe the passengers reactions when approached. Same as the stare down thing, they want to observe passengers reactions.

So they are not testing your drink, its just a pretext. The waving of the strip and all that, just for show.

Perhaps they think a terrorist will shout out "aarrgh!! I can't take it any more! You got me! I surrender"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.