Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Liquid insanity at SEA - random testing of passenger beverages at the gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Liquid insanity at SEA - random testing of passenger beverages at the gate

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thumbs down Liquid insanity at SEA - random testing of passenger beverages at the gate

I was transiting SEA the other day and stopped into the UA RCC a few minutes before it closed. My throat was sore, so I procured an 8oz styrofoam cup, filled it with hot water and a tea bag, and headed for my connecting gate. Once there, I noticed several TSAers milling about. I was expecting a gate-grope for at least some passengers during boarding. Instead, I had an entirely different experience.

Boarding was less than 10 minutes away, so I figured I'd sit down during the wait. I was minding my own business, drinking my tea, when a smurf-colored TSA agent came up to me and asked me if he could test my drink. I was a bit shocked and he said that I had been, "Randomly selected for a test." He held out a small white strip of paper, and inched it toward my cup. I told him he was not going to stick that or anything else into my cup. I asked him what he was testing for, but all that he could do was tell me that it was a, "Random test" and that he was only going to wave the paper over my drink, not put it into my drink. I refused again, and told him in no uncertain terms that he was not going to be doing anything with my drink. He walked away flustered. I could hear him behind me, consulting with his supervisor, "What do I do if he refuses the test?" While this was going on, I finished my drink.

I was about to get up to throw the empty cup away when a different TSAer approached me. This one asked me the same question about testing my drink. I was holding an empty cup, and pointed that out. He insisted. I asked what he wanted to test for and was told again that it was a random test. I told him my drink was gone, that I had obtained it at the RCC, that it clearly perfectly safe for me to drink, and that he should tell me what he was testing for. All I got back was intimidation. I was told that I didn't have to fly this evening if I didn't want to.

At that point, the gate agent was preparing the boarding door and I knew my flight could soon be leaving without me. Much as I didn't want to, I held out my cup. Other than a slightly damp tea bag, it was completely empty. The TSAer held his white strip over the cup, and then proceeded to put a drop from a small bottle of distilled water (that appeared to be larger than 3.4oz) onto the paper. I got up, thew away my cup, and boarded my flight.

The inability of the TSA to tell me what they wanted to do, and why, along with their use of intimidation tactics to gain compliance, are completely unacceptable. Unfortunately, those tactics are what we've come to expect from the TSA.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
After you were finished, why didn't you just throw it away and tell him he could do whatever he wanted with it?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Tempting to just throw it at them and walk away.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Should have pee'd in it then handled it to him.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
The inability of the TSA to tell me what they wanted to do, and why, along with their use of intimidation tactics to gain compliance, are completely unacceptable. Unfortunately, those tactics are what we've come to expect from the TSA.
TSA, again shows the rest of us just how expensive rudeness is compared to politeness. It wouldn't have been that big of a deal for the first TSO to say "Hello, you've been selected for a random test for explosives. I will wave a strip over your drink and it will in no way contaminate your beverage. If you don't want to participate in the test would you mind giving us the empty cup once you're finished?"

Instead they drag out the rubber trunceons, bully and intimidate to force a passenger into submission. They lost the PR war a long time ago when they still had a chance to recover. Now TSA has become a laughing stock.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not take a real stand and tell them to delay you if that is what they want to do. There are more flights and your rights take precedence over a short delay. If everyone were to do that this would be less of a problem. That is my plan if they approach me with unreasonable requests.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:22 pm

Since you had the tea for a sore throat, a better answer would be that you have the beverage for medical reasons, and they better not contaminate it unless they want to get charged with practicing medicine without a license. Just another angle.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:23 pm

What a joke. The fact you were actively sipping your beverage introduced selection bias since others who may have beverages may not be actively drinking them. Bad smurfs! If I was carrying naughty liquids, I probably would keep them tucked away in my carry-on; I certainly wouldn't have it out where people would notice, let alone drinking it.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:05 pm

Same nonsense was happening in Nashville in early December. I was actually standing in my little pre-assigned number area to board a SW flight and a couple of TSOs walked up with the little white strips.

I was in the middle of a sip... what did they think it was? Liquid nitrogen?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, CO, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, ex-TSA Elite rectal exam club member
complete & total morons

UNBELIEVABLE! Absolutely stupid. Fire the TSA now!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
"I was transiting SEA the other day and stopped into the UA RCC a few minutes before it closed. My throat was sore, so I procured an 8oz styrofoam cup, filled it with hot water and a tea bag, and headed for my connecting gate. Once there, I noticed several TSAers milling about. I was expecting a gate-grope for at least some passengers during boarding. Instead, I had an entirely different experience.

Boarding was less than 10 minutes away, so I figured I'd sit down during the wait. I was minding my own business, drinking my tea, when a smurf-colored TSA agent came up to me and asked me if he could test my drink. I was a bit shocked and he said that I had been, "Randomly selected for a test." He held out a small white strip of paper, and inched it toward my cup. I told him he was not going to stick that or anything else into my cup. I asked him what he was testing for, but all that he could do was tell me that it was a, "Random test" and that he was only going to wave the paper over my drink, not put it into my drink. I refused again, and told him in no uncertain terms that he was not going to be doing anything with my drink. He walked away flustered. I could hear him behind me, consulting with his supervisor, "What do I do if he refuses the test?" While this was going on, I finished my drink.

I was about to get up to throw the empty cup away when a different TSAer approached me. This one asked me the same question about testing my drink. I was holding an empty cup, and pointed that out. He insisted. I asked what he wanted to test for and was told again that it was a random test. I told him my drink was gone, that I had obtained it at the RCC, that it clearly perfectly safe for me to drink, and that he should tell me what he was testing for. All I got back was intimidation. I was told that I didn't have to fly this evening if I didn't want to.

At that point, the gate agent was preparing the boarding door and I knew my flight could soon be leaving without me. Much as I didn't want to, I held out my cup. Other than a slightly damp tea bag, it was completely empty. The TSAer held his white strip over the cup, and then proceeded to put a drop from a small bottle of distilled water (that appeared to be larger than 3.4oz) onto the paper. I got up, thew away my cup, and boarded my flight.

The inability of the TSA to tell me what they wanted to do, and why, along with their use of intimidation tactics to gain compliance, are completely unacceptable. Unfortunately, those tactics are what we've come to expect from the TSA."
This is a non-dipping test strip for the detection of liquid explosives. We had a previous thread on this test. I had asked for TSA forum members to comment on what liquid explosives were detected by this test strip but one TSO stated that info could not be divulged. I tried to Google for the info but I couldn't find any relevant info on the non-dipping test strip nor the company that makes them. Granted, I didn't look very long for the info. My guess is the info is out there but might require some time to find it.

IMO, running tests on liquids at the gate is unnecessary. If they have to, run it on bottles of liquids, not an open cup. Since pax aren't allowed to take open containers in their hands through the checkpoint, I'd say it would be pretty safe to assume the drink was bought inside the sterile area. Also, the TSO that made the comment about you flying out that evening was totally inappropriate. It's too bad someone was not recording the conversation. This might be construed in a court of law as a threat.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
After you were finished, why didn't you just throw it away and tell him he could do whatever he wanted with it?
The time between when I finished the tea and I was approached by the second TSAer was only a few seconds. The nearest trash bin was about 30 feet away.

Originally Posted by QUERY
...the TSO that made the comment about you flying out that evening was totally inappropriate. It's too bad someone was not recording the conversation. This might be construed in a court of law as a threat.
It was absolutely a threat. Unfortunately, missing my flight would have resulted in my being stranded at SEA overnight and missing the purpose of my trip the next day.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:00 am

I would have just handed the empty cup to the smurf

"Here ya go champ, put it in the bin for me when you're done, there's a good chap"

and walked away.

Did the smurf so any signs of embarrassment?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Should have pee'd in it then handled it to him.
At least spit in it. Don't goof and miss the cup or you will be in trouble.

Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by DIFIN
At least spit in it. Don't goof and miss the cup or you will be in trouble.

The thing that gets me is that the guy was DRINKING the liquid that was supposedly being testing for being an explosive.

Did they think he was going to get on the plane and start jumping up and down causing all the explosives to explode inside him like Will E Coyote?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.