Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Mileage Plus Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis PC
The fine print reads;

"Earning EQM: You can earn up to 5,000 EQM each Year at a rate of 1 EQM for each $1 of net purchases at united.com"

This is for the Select Visa with the $130 annual fee. Is this right? I can only earn EQM for purchasing tickets on united.com? Anyone else read this the same way and/or ask about it?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Zentos
The fine print reads;

"Earning EQM: You can earn up to 5,000 EQM each Year at a rate of 1 EQM for each $1 of net purchases at united.com"

This is for the Select Visa with the $130 annual fee. Is this right? I can only earn EQM for purchasing tickets on united.com? Anyone else read this the same way and/or ask about it?
Yes. That's how I comprehend it. Its the same condition as the MP Platinum Visa that is also discussed in this thread. I have the Platinum Visa and yes I only got 1 EQM/$1 on United.com purchases up to $5000 per year. The new Select card is better where its 3 RDM/$1 vs. 2 RDM/$1 on United.com purchases.

I remember in the benefits for the Platinum card when I signed up that the 2 RDM/$1 also applied to Star Alliance websites? I never used this, but is it true? Did anyone use this benefit? I did a FT search and can't find the conditions where it had this listed.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by magicspot
has anyone been able to verify that we do in fact get the sign up bonus as a new card type?

+1
Old Jan 15, 2010, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis PC
I think what I'm asking is similar to the question and +1 above...

I recently got the Select Visa and I'm wondering if I get another one of the Visa cards, i.e. the Economy Plus card, will I get another 30K bonus?

Anyone know or been able to accomplish this? I'm assuming I'll have to wait 6 months for another Chase credit card in general, though.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime Gold
Originally Posted by Zentos
I think what I'm asking is similar to the question and +1 above...

I recently got the Select Visa and I'm wondering if I get another one of the Visa cards, i.e. the Economy Plus card, will I get another 30K bonus?

Anyone know or been able to accomplish this? I'm assuming I'll have to wait 6 months for another Chase credit card in general, though.
My wife had Chase Mileage Plus Visa Platinum (and received that sign-up bonus) for the past 10 months. She still has that card. That was her last Chase application. On 18 Dec '09 she applied for the Economy Plus card, was approved and collected the 20k bonus 2 days ago after the 1st statement date passed and the $250 was spent.

Will you have to wait 6 months from your last Chase application? Some say yes; some claim no. I think if you are a fairly regular card churner then wait 6 months.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
The Select card looks inviting to me-I have an old Signature card that I downgraded to the Gold when they would not waive the fee. I should get the sign on bonus since it is a different product.

The 3 miles per $ on United.com is attractive,plus 2 miles per $ on *A. I assume this would include CO. This would take care of most of my airline travel,except WN,which goes on their card.

Am I evaluating this correctly?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:46 pm
une

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
http://www.mpsignaturecard.com/searc...ture_30k_01912
You can get the Mileage Plus Visa Signature card with the first annual fee ($60) waived. Does anyone know if you can get the Mileage Plus Select Visa with the first annual fee waived ($130)?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec, VA Silver
Originally Posted by une
http://www.mpsignaturecard.com/searc...ture_30k_01912
You can get the Mileage Plus Visa Signature card with the first annual fee ($60) waived. Does anyone know if you can get the Mileage Plus Select Visa with the first annual fee waived ($130)?
As far as I know, the best deal for the $130 MP card is to sign up at one of the stands they have at airports, where they provide $100 off the first year's fee. I haven't actually done it though. I'm debating between getting a MP Chase Visa Credit Card or just moving my whole checking account to Chase and getting the MP Chase Debit card.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Originally Posted by freeflyin
The Select card looks inviting to me-I have an old Signature card that I downgraded to the Gold when they would not waive the fee. I should get the sign on bonus since it is a different product.

The 3 miles per $ on United.com is attractive,plus 2 miles per $ on *A. I assume this would include CO. This would take care of most of my airline travel,except WN,which goes on their card.

Am I evaluating this correctly?
Yup. I have the Select card myself. Don't forget double miles for gas, groceries, dining, and "home improvement" as well. FWIW, they are strict about "dining" on this one, even though they call it "Dining & Entertainment". On my Amazon card (also from Chase), they do double pts for movies as well, but just actual food on this one.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by calozpom
As far as I know, the best deal for the $130 MP card is to sign up at one of the stands they have at airports, where they provide $100 off the first year's fee. I haven't actually done it though. I'm debating between getting a MP Chase Visa Credit Card or just moving my whole checking account to Chase and getting the MP Chase Debit card.

What are the "stands they have at airports" that you're speaking of? I fly in and out of SFO, but don't remember any credit card stands around. Could be I'm always rushing to the gate and just miss them.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:34 am
HCA

Originally Posted by krazymad
What are the "stands they have at airports" that you're speaking of? I fly in and out of SFO, but don't remember any credit card stands around. Could be I'm always rushing to the gate and just miss them.
Welcome to FT.

I did not see the stands, either (at least in SFO).
Old May 1, 2010, 12:08 am

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Talking They just lowered the AF of Select Card to $95!

This is hot: they just lowered the AF of the MP Select Card from $130 to $95!

The anniversary bonus of 5K easily cancels out the AF. Then you can enjoy 3x United and 2x groceries etc. for free! Compare this to the new Amex Gold Premier Rewards (the 15K boost after 30K spending cancels the AF $185+additional cards) which has similar 3x airlines, 2x groceries etc., you will see that MP Select may be a better choice for United flyers. Visa has more places to accept and MP select has more 2x categories (dining, home).

I am consider upgrading my MP signature ($60) to MP Select. Do you think Chase will give me the signup bonus??
Old May 1, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by leonard016
I am consider upgrading my MP signature ($60) to MP Select. Do you think Chase will give me the signup bonus??
I would recommend just applying online for a new card rather than upgrading a signature card. That's what I did and I got all of the bonuses.

I've had the signature card for over ten years. I applied for the MP Select when the annual fee was $135, but I received with that promotion a $100 travel voucher. I also received the 30,000 bonus miles and I will be getting the 5,000 miles on each annual renewal. I was surprised to receive all of that because their footnotes state otherwise for existing MP cardholders.
Old May 1, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Thanks for sharing! Will give it a shot when my Signature is upon renewal.

Originally Posted by nycityny
I would recommend just applying online for a new card rather than upgrading a signature card. That's what I did and I got all of the bonuses.

I've had the signature card for over ten years. I applied for the MP Select when the annual fee was $135, but I received with that promotion a $100 travel voucher. I also received the 30,000 bonus miles and I will be getting the 5,000 miles on each annual renewal. I was surprised to receive all of that because their footnotes state otherwise for existing MP cardholders.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/ Marriott titanium for life
Hi!
I realize the post is from over a year ago, but hopefully I can still get a few responses here. I just landed a consulting job and joined flyertalk and I'm currently in running an internal debate on which card will be the best for me. I fly short flights weekly (SFO-LAX), and longer once a month (SFO-BOS) but I really do like E+ for the ability to open up my laptop and stretch out a little. Which is why I would consider the "Access" card. But only getting 1mi/$ is disappointing. I'm also drawn to RCC (maybe because I'm a newbie and the perks still excite me) plus the 2mi/$ on United purchases would get me more miles. But then the "Select" card could get me even more miles, but not as many EQMs. (FYI- I will be 2P by Oct. and putting the required >$35K on the card on a yearly basis)

Can anyone make a recommendation as to what card they think is best? Bottom line is that I want the card that will get me the most perks- status, upgrades, RCC, it's all good. I just want the most value for the fee.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.