New UA Mileage Plus Cards

Old Aug 8, 09, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

From CardTrak.com:

A new trio of upscale co-branded air mileage reward cards has taken off with extra legroom, club access and tons of extra miles. Chase and United Airlines launched the new "Mileage Plus" cards that offer specific perks for big annual fees. The new "United Mileage Plus Select Visa Card" carries a $130 annual fee, the "United Mileage Plus Access Visa Card" has a $275 annual fee and the "United Mileage Plus Club Visa Card" carries an annual fee of $375. The "Plus Club Visa" includes an annual "Red Carpet Club" membership and earns up to 10,000 miles per year toward "elite" status, two miles for every one dollar spent with United and one mile for every one dollar spent on all other purchases, with no cap. The "Plus Access Visa" includes "Economy Plus" (extra legroom) for cardholders and a guest traveling together on domestic and international flights, two, one-time "Red Carpet Club" passes every year, earns up to 10,000 miles per year toward "elite" status and one mile for every one dollar spent on all purchases, with no cap. The "Plus Select Visa" includes triple miles on all United purchases; double miles on Star Alliance, gas, home improvement, grocery and dining purchases, one mile for every one dollar spent on all purchases, with no cap, plus a 5,000 bonus anniversary miles every year and up to 5,000 miles per year toward elite status on united.com purchases. For more information visit: www.united.com/newcards
Old Aug 10, 09, 10:14 am

The United branded cards seem generally to say you won't get mileage bonus if you have ever had the card in the past. Is that enforced?
Old Aug 10, 09, 2:40 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Chamor View Post
The United branded cards seem generally to say you won't get mileage bonus if you have ever had the card in the past. Is that enforced?
Yes, they are pretty stringent about it. You hear stories every now and then about someone getting more than one bonus but those days are gone. Having said that, I will add: It never hurts to try.
Old Aug 10, 09, 3:22 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Still - good deal for the card that includes RCC? Though no idea if that RCC membership still includes access to US and international lounges when on those carriers.

Not so good deal for the one including E+ access - odds are most interested in paying $275 for a card already have elite status. No real purpose.

The cheapest one - I suppose if you're GS and you buy tickets on your own card, the triple and double miles for flight purchases would be worth the $130 fee.
Old Sep 12, 09, 12:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
Does anyone know if there is a benefit of having the newer MP Select Visa vs, the older MP Platinum Visa?

I have the MP Platinum. And everything looks basically the same. 2 miles at gas, groceries, home improvement restaurants. 2 miles at United.com and at Star Alliance websites.

Does anyone know if there's a difference? Besides the $10 in annual fee. Is there a compelling reason to switch from the Platinum to the Select if they are the same?
Old Sep 12, 09, 12:13 pm
rmt

Originally Posted by dko3tgk View Post
Does anyone know if there is a benefit of having the newer MP Select Visa vs, the older MP Platinum Visa? ...
According to the page at http://www.mpselectcard.com/?CELL=68...PSignatureVisa, the Select card offers TRIPLE miles on all United purchases (vs. double for the Platinum).
Old Sep 12, 09, 3:40 pm

I have the United Platinum (regular) for the last two years. I was looking into it too. The other benefit is that you would get the 5000 miles annual bonus that you don't get now. Because of this, I don't plan to keep my existing card once this year's membership is over. I have not decided if I will get one of the Select cards (I think we would be eligible for the bonus since it's a new product line, at least that's what the CSR said, but don't quote me on me.) In any case, I'm leaning against "no" at the moment, and will probably go back to AA.

Originally Posted by dko3tgk View Post
Does anyone know if there's a difference? Besides the $10 in annual fee. Is there a compelling reason to switch from the Platinum to the Select if they are the same?
Old Sep 12, 09, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G MM, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat
1) you will receive the bonus, since these are new card types.

2) but will they approve your application, if you have applied for other cc's within the last 6 months (a crazy Chase policy).
Old Sep 13, 09, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by Explore View Post
1) you will receive the bonus, since these are new card types.
That's been my question, are these different card types?

Chase still gives separate bonuses for Signature, Signature Gold Class, Signature Platinum Class, Business, etc.

But are these unique types like those?

Or more to the point, have folks been getting new signup bonuses for them who had previously gotten bonuses for other cards?

I ASSUME so but haven't seen reports of actual practice.
Old Sep 19, 09, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
I'm waiting to hear about actual practice, too. I'd love to hit the 125K EQM end-of-year UA promotional threshold, take the annual fee refund option on the new card that includes RCC access, and get the card application bonus in the 30K RDM range, even though I'm a past MP Visa Platinum/Signature cardholder. That'd be pretty sweet....
Old Sep 21, 09, 4:21 pm

Hi - I am a first time poster.

Does anyone know if you can signup for a new United Visa Select card and use the refer a friend promotion (15k to your friend, 30k for yourself)? I just called the number for that offer and it is for a different United Visa Card (the one with first year annual fee waived and $60 thereafter annually).

Details of the 'other' card promo.
apply via phone at 877.858.5188 and mention code C7G4

Any help on the appropriate phone # / offer code / specifics on bonus miles offered is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 26, 09, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
How to switch?

I called Chase the other day to see if they could make my Gold Signature Visa ($85 fee) into a new Select Visa ($130 fee). They seemed to be a bit confused about how to do this because of the new federal rules that constrain card issuers. In the end, the woman said that she would do it. She would also credit my $85 annual fee because it had been charged to my account less than 60 days ago. She also said that I could keep my same account number.

I called today to check if this had all happened ok and the guy at Chase told me that nothing had happened and that the woman had no idea what she was talking about.

So, I had to apply for the new card today and close my old account down. The guy gave me the $85 credit.

I hope I get my new card soon because I have about $3K of United purchases to make in the next few weeks!
Old Sep 27, 09, 6:30 pm

Programs: 1K
Regarding fee waiving:

I was paying $60 per year for the United Mileage Plus card. As a 1K, I was told they will waive that amount for renewal of this card, or, up to $60 if we want to change to one of the new "Plus Club Visa," "Plus Access Visa" or "Economy Plus cards (as mentioned by a previous poster, we would have to make an application for the new card).

DD
Old Nov 15, 09, 6:55 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
I'm just wondering if there is any update to the question of whether someone with the $60 annual Signature Visa gets any of the bonuses for obtaining the $130 Plus Select Visa? New customers not only get lots of miles for signing up but annual bonuses as well.
Old Nov 16, 09, 3:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR LTGold, UA, AA, AS, DL, Global Entry & TSAPre✓
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy View Post
Not so good deal for the one including E+ access - odds are most interested in paying $275 for a card already have elite status. No real purpose.
As a quick counterpoint... Count me as one who *is* interested in the "middle" card -- after having travel cut back and losing my MP status, but with Hawaii and Italy in mind for the coming year, and still with my 6'5" frame -- because of the ability to choose E+ seats at booking for myself and wife, rather than hope to receive an upgrade offer.

I am also still very interested in the ability to get the bonus miles for switching / upgrading from my current "Gold" card ($85 annual fee, 2500 anniversary miles).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: