Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus, UA (2024-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For previous discussion and historical redemption categories in prior years, see this archived thread: Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Pay Yourself Back is a program that offers a higher redemption value for UR points, at either 1.25 or 1.5 cents per point, as a rebate on purchases in specific categories, when charges are made on certain Chase cards.

Note: Because UR can be redeemed directly for travel at a value of up to 1.5 cents/UR or transferred to travel partners with even higher valuations, Pay Yourself Back redemptions at less than 1.5 cents/UR are rejected by most posters, except in narrow circumstances where travel redemptions are not desired.

As of April 2024, the redemption categories are:

Chase Sapphire Reserve
  • Select Charities (1.5 cents/UR)
  • Wholesale Clubs (1.25)
  • Pet Supply Stores and Services (1.25)
  • Gas Stations (1.25)
  • Annual fee (1.25)
  • Grocery Stores (1.25) (ended March 31, 2024)
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chase Freedom
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Chase Ink Cash
Chase Ink Preferred
Chase Ink Plus
  • Select Charities (1.25)
Note: Many Chase United co-branded cards offer a version of the Pay Yourself Back program, where United miles can be used to offset the annual fee at a value of 1.5-1.8 cents/mile and other United travel expenses at 1 cent/mile. Most posters only consider redeeming for the annual fee due to the value of United miles for award tickets.

Reported redemption values for United credit card annual fees:
  • United Club Card (Personal Version) - 1.8 cents
  • United Quest - 1.6 cents
  • United Explorer - 1.52 cents (1/2024)
  • United Business Card (without Club access) - 1.5 cents (2/2024)
  • United Select (legacy card) - 1.5 cents
Print Wikipost

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus, UA (2024-)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

So my CSR has these categories:

1.25 - Gas Stations, good through 3/31/2024
1.25 - Grocery Stores, good through 3/31/2024
1.50 - select Charities, good through 3/31/2024
1.25 - annual fee, good through 3/31/2024
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So my CSR has these categories:

1.25 - Gas Stations, good through 3/31/2024
1.25 - Grocery Stores, good through 3/31/2024
1.50 - select Charities, good through 3/31/2024
1.25 - annual fee, good through 3/31/2024
Yes, and I'd highly doubt there's variance among CSR card holders.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2024-)

Welcome to 2024! This thread has been restarted to archive the generous offers from early in the pandemic, since the program has changed so much since then.

I've rebuilt the wiki so that we can list the current categories for redemptions. It would be appreciated if someone with the cards I do not have could update those categories.

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Jan 20, 2024 at 10:51 pm
Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I've rebuilt the wiki so that we can list the current categories for redemptions. It would be appreciated if someone with the cards I do not have could update those categories.
Added Freedom and Freedom Unlimited, which have the same 25% bonus for select charities as the Sapphire Preferred.
MDtR-Chicago likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Added Ink Cash (only Charities)
MDtR-Chicago likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Ink Plus - Select charities. I added it to the wiki above
MDtR-Chicago likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
For purchases that earned a spending category bonus, is the bonus usually clawed back after you “pay yourself back?” Asking for the MileagePlus version of PYB, but I imagine it would be the same policy for the other Chase cards.

Thanks in advance,

CJ
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJ99
For purchases that earned a spending category bonus, is the bonus usually clawed back after you “pay yourself back?” Asking for the MileagePlus version of PYB, but I imagine it would be the same policy for the other Chase cards.
Don’t know anything about the MP version of PYB… but during the hey days of PYB I earned a ton of miles in CSR categories with 3X and redeemed the points for PYB for those charges. I think it was dining and during Covid groceries. The category earnings were not clawed back. And why should they?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by CJ99
No, never. You earn points (including bonus) from purchases. You use points to PYB. These are completely separate transactions.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Originally Posted by Rare
No, never. You earn points (including bonus) from purchases. You use points to PYB. These are completely separate transactions.
Thanks. I was concerned that PYB would be treated like a return, at least if done before the statement closed, and would wipe out the spend/bonus. Glad to hear my worries were unfounded.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I added a table at the end of the wiki for recent reports of PYB values on United credit card annual fees. The range is 1.5 - 1.8 cents per mile, depending on the card.
mia, notquiteaff and Rare like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:42 am

Haven't done this since Covid, but I assume people still wanting to cash out UR via VGC at grocery stores are able to so just as were 3 years ago.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mods please move this if there is a more appropriate thread, but it looks like Chase just got rid of PYB for groceries. At least I couldn't find the option in the app.

Maybe just kill PYB altogether and get it over with? On it's own this isn't the biggest nerfing in the history of nerfing, but it seems like Chase is really taking the hatchet to this card. Wonder why - is it just no longer profitable for them?

Last edited by anrkitec; Mar 31, 2024 at 9:18 pm
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

CSR PYB categories for. April 1 - June 30, 2024

- wholesale clubs 1.25
- pet supply and servides 1.25
- gas stations 1.25
- select charities. 1.5
- annual fee 1.25
Rare and friedablass like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by anrkitec
Mods please move this if there is a more appropriate thread, but it looks like Chase just got rid of PYB for groceries. At least I couldn't find the option in the app.

Maybe just kill PYB altogether and get it over with? On it's own this isn't the biggest nerfing in the history of nerfing, but it seems like Chase is really taking the hatchet to this card. Wonder why - is it just no longer profitable for them?
Question, I recall form the Covid days that I had time after the period ended, as long as the charges posted in the time frame, am I not recalling this correctly? How would one make a charge on March 30/31 and then redeem for PYB at Grocery. Seems misleading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.