Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't pay taxes with Chase INK?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2023, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Can't pay taxes with Chase INK?

When I try and pay my taxes (to make SUB) with my new Chase Ink, it say's the card is the wrong type at PayUSAtax.com.

I tried to use the Paypal workaround, it didn't work.

1) Are others having this problem?

2) Is it possible to add to my Paypal account an Ink card where I'm the AU, not the business owner?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I *think* the issue here is that you're not the primary/business owner on the Ink card.

I have in the past used my Ink to pay taxes but am the sole primary holder of the card.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:24 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by beachfan
....I'm the AU, not the business owner?
Typically, additional cardholders on Business card accounts are not Authorized Users, they are employees.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:39 am

I am the primary person on my tax return, and the account holder of my Ink Unlimited.
I couldn't pay my estimate taxes yesterday with my Ink card. I had to go thru PayPal.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:19 pm

Just a guess, maybe they stop taking visa signature?
Old Mar 3, 2023, 5:51 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

....card is the wrong type ....
Perhaps they are blocking the use of business cards to pay personal taxes. Their FAQ explains some differences between personal and business cards, but it does not mention any restrictions. A test would be to use a Chase business card to make a business tax payment.
beachfan likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks.

I was able to finally do it on two of my cards via PayPal.

personal taxes and that may be why it didn’t go through directly.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:34 am

I paid my state personal tax last week with my INK------ On the state site
PETERPNYC likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 6:00 pm

Thanks to all! This saved me a lot of time and frustration. PayUSAtax.com didn't want to accept my Chase Business Premier Ink card, either. The Paypal loophole worked.

For others - use this card to get 2.5% cash back, still money ahead after paying the 1.85% convenience fee. Plus, qualifying for a $1000 cashback bonus.

C.Mac
Lexington, KY
Old Apr 20, 2023, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by mia
Perhaps they are blocking the use of business cards to pay personal taxes. Their FAQ explains some differences between personal and business cards, but it does not mention any restrictions. A test would be to use a Chase business card to make a business tax payment.
I've read that merchants pay a higher fees on business cards transactions. If so, it's probably too much for a business based on a razor thin profit margin to accept business cards.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 7:04 am
mia

On the 18th I made a personal Estimated Tax Payment (1040ES) via pay1040.com using an American Express business card. The first attempt failed with an "Invalid Card" error. I double checked the card number etc, clicked again, and the payment was accepted.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I've read that merchants pay a higher fees on business cards transactions. If so, it's probably too much for a business based on a razor thin profit margin to accept business cards.
If that was the reasoning then the tax payment sites would likely block payments using ALL business cards, yet, so far at least, they do not. To my knowledge, Chase business cards are the only cards experiencing this situation. Payments with Amex still seem to work fine.

I also used Paypal to get this done recently on one of my cards as a tax payment was part of the plan to achieve the required spend for the SUB. That said, I do worry that the Paypal loophole could eventually get closed as well if they are genuinely attempting to restrict business cards from making personal tax payments. And if the tax payment sites do that it would change this game pretty significantly...

Regards
Old Jul 26, 2023, 5:14 am

I just wanted to add another data point here. I just got my Chase Ink Business and paid my 1040-ES taxes (pay1040 site) with it yesterday successfully. I'm not the AU.
Happy, MDtR-Chicago and JusRelax like this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
… do it on two of my cards via PayPal.
personal taxes …
When paying at one of the 3 authorized sites via PayPal, can one still input a specific credit card on the authorized site or does it go to the credit card already in the PayPal account or something else? Same authorized site fee? Any PayPal fees? Still earns UR points? Thank you.
Originally Posted by C.Mac
… The Paypal loophole worked. For others - use this card to get 2.5% cash back, still money ahead after paying the 1.85% convenience fee. Plus, qualifying for a $1000 cashback bonus. …
Please explain details further. Thank you.

Datapoint: Today, new Chase Ink Biz Preferred card (mine, not AU), estimated IRS tax payment:

payUSAtax = “card processing error”
Pay1040 = success

Still no rhyme or reason as to which Ink cards are acceptable.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
(6/15/23, Thread: Paying USA income, property or other taxes with a credit card) … Tonight, due date for estimated payments, “payUSAtax” rejected an Ink Cash card twice and then accepted an AmEx Delta Biz. I called Chase to confirm the card was good to go. “Pay1040” also rejected the Ink Cash. “ACI Payments, Inc.” accepted the Ink Cash. No pattern or rhyme or reason. …

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.