Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Q1 2021 Freedom/Flex 5%: Whsle Clubs Internet Cable Phone & select Streaming.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2020, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: G2244
Below is a copy-paste of the Merchant List for 2021 Q1 (as of 12/15/2020)

================================================== ============

Wholesale Clubs
  • COSTCO.COM **
  • BJ'S
  • SAM'S CLUB
  • TEXAS JASMINE
**Mastercard only accepted online at Costco.com, not in-warehouse.

Wholesale Club Exclusions
Gas, fuel, wholesale specialty service purchases such as travel, insurance, cell phone and home improvement

Examples of Internet, Cable and Phone Services Merchants
  • 1&1 INTERNET
  • ACORN TV
  • AT&T
  • ATLANTIC BROADBAND
  • BOINGO WIRELESS
  • BOOST MOBILE
  • BRIGHT HOUSE NETWORKS
  • CABLE ONE
  • CBS INTERACTIVE
  • CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS
  • CINCINNATI BELL
  • COMIXOLOGY
  • CONSOLIDATED COMMUNICATIONS
  • CONSUMER CELLULAR
  • DISH NETWORK
  • DOMAIN HOSTING SERVICES
  • DR GLOBALTECH
  • DREAMHOST
  • DROPBOX
  • EARTHLINK LLC
  • EIG
  • EZETOP
  • GARMIN
  • GLOBAL TEL LINK
  • GODADDY.COM
  • GOOGLE FIOBER (GOOGLE *SERVICES) - confirmed by G2244
  • GOGO INFLIGHT
  • GRANDE COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK
  • GREAT CALL
  • HOLA AMERICA
  • HUGHES NETWORK SYSTEMS
  • IDT CORPORATION
  • ITALKBB.COM
  • JPAY STAMPS
  • JUSTANSWER
  • LYCAMOBILE
  • MICROSOFT CORPORATION
  • MINT MOBILE
  • MINUMEROLOCAL
  • NEXTIVA
  • NFL GAME PASS
  • OOMA
  • OPTIMUM
  • PANASONIC - AA
  • PERFORMGROUPUS
  • PROJECT PANTHER US LLC
  • RCN CORPORATION
  • REBTEL
  • REPUBLIC WIRELESS
  • RING CENTRAL
  • SKYBEAM CO
  • SPECTRUM
  • SPRINT NEXTEL CORPORATION
  • STARZ ENTERTAINMENT
  • SUDDENLINK
  • SUDDENLINK COMMUNICATIONS
  • T MOBILE
  • THE RACKSPACE CLOUD
  • TIME WARNER CABLE
  • TING-ORDER
  • TIVO
  • TWC
  • ULTRA MOBILE
  • US CELLULAR
  • US MOBILE
  • VERIZON WIRELESS
  • VIASAT AMERICAN AIRLINES
  • VIRGIN MOBILE
  • VONAGE
  • VS
  • WILDBLUE COMMUNICATIONS
  • WIX.COM
  • WWE NETWORK
  • XOOM CORPORATION

Internet, Cable and Phone Services Exclusions

· Purchases or payment for internet, cable and satellite television, phone or related services in a merchant's store that is not classified by the merchant in the applicable services category

Select Streaming Services

Only subscription services paid for with the listed select merchants will qualify for this offer:
  • Disney+
  • Hulu
  • ESPN+
  • Netflix
  • Sling
  • Vudu
  • Fubo TV
  • Apple Music
  • SiriusXM
  • Pandora
  • Spotify
  • YouTube TV
Select Streaming Services Exclusions
Purchases other than subscription services, e.g., music or video downloads, equipment, gift cards, etc.

Print Wikipost

Q1 2021 Freedom/Flex 5%: Whsle Clubs Internet Cable Phone & select Streaming.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jmd001
Comcast/Xfinity not included in list of Internet Cable services! Bummer!!!
Originally Posted by mia
I expect this is just an editing error in posting the list of examples.
Sent this message to Chase: "Comcast/Xflinity is NOT listed. Is that correct that it is NOT a participating merchant?"

Got the following response: "Comcast/Xflinity is not listed in the qualifying merchants for quarterly bonus categories." DUH! A typical, canned non-answer.

Still (to me) unknown if Comcast's absence is intentional as opposed to an oversight ("editing error").
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:36 am

Timing works out perfectly assuming AMEX will not extend the $20 credit for phone and streaming. Can now put my phone bill on the flex which has phone insurance and also my internet. Use Freedom for costco spend.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Comcast/Xfinity not included in list of Internet Cable services! Bummer!!!
I noticed that as well. Not sure if this was the norm in the past (just moved to a Comcast/Xfinity area from a Spectrum one) that it wasn't listed or if this is new. So was trying to figure that out. Guess I'll find out how many points it earns in Jan.

It does say that the merchant category is what triggers the 5% - is it possible to say, include Charter but not Comcast/Xfinity if they are actually doing it that way? I mean, I'm sure it is if they are doing it by specific merchant, but If it is done by category? Is there a reason why they would exclude Comcast or some other specific merchant in the category - I'm assuming the only reason might be if merchants were funding part of the extra %, but assuming that's not the case, because really, why does the cable company care if I pay with a Freedom Flex or a Freedom Unlimited?
Old Dec 18, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Sent this message to Chase: "Comcast/Xflinity is NOT listed. Is that correct that it is NOT a participating merchant?"

Got the following response: "Comcast/Xflinity is not listed in the qualifying merchants for quarterly bonus categories." DUH! A typical, canned non-answer.

Still (to me) unknown if Comcast's absence is intentional as opposed to an oversight ("editing error").
Following the non-answer to my "Secure Message" noted above, I called Chase. Was told that the online list of merchants was just list of examples, not an inclusive list. And since Comcast was not explicitly excluded, one should expect a company like it will get the 5%.

Am getting effectively only 2% with the card that I am currently using to pay Comcast, so I will take the chance (for at least the month of January) and switch to see if I get the 5%.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Looks like not PCing my Freedom was the right decision (although as mentioned earlier, buying Costco Shop cards online is a viable alternative).

Originally Posted by mia
Costco's agreement with VISA and Citi is complicated, and while Costco's "net" cost is reportedly zero, that does not mean that the card issuer isn't paid. In any event, bear in mind that many people carry a balance, and there are finance charges to offset these offers.
On the other hand, if people carrying balances was a significant enough part of issuers' revenue, we wouldn't have seen nearly the devaluation we saw when the EU capped interchange. Then again, Europe also has a much different mindset towards debt, so there might not have been enough people carrying balances anyway.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ink earns 5x at Xfinity so the merchant code definitely the correct one. My monthly auto-pay on an Ink card for Xfinity services incl both internet and an add-on additional channels atop of what our community bulk contract offers, itemized on the bill but charged as one lumpsum.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 6:47 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Any ideas on how those of us who live abroad could max this out? I guess i'll move netflix and spotify from the CSR which is currently giving me 10x but thats still only gonna get me maybe 10% to maxing out the 5x.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:24 am
RNE

I and the missus have four* cards between us and it's going to be a challenge maxing out even one of them.
  • I'm not a club member -- and don't want to be -- but I might have to bite the bullet and join to buy GCs.
  • I have no cable. My internet and phones are paid by a third party.
  • I have several streaming services. I could prepay them, but I'd have to do so for a decade or more to max out.
*And I may get a fifth card sometime in the coming quarter.

Suggestions?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by RNE
I and the missus have four* cards between us and it's going to be a challenge maxing out even one of them.

Suggestions?
Having four cards it's not necessary to MAX a quarter when two to three of the others will be easier to do.

Only Pay For What You Need.
sdsearch, krazykanuck and Duke787 like this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 9:38 am
RNE

Originally Posted by mhdena
Anathema.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
Having four cards it's not necessary to MAX a quarter when two to three of the others will be easier to do.

Are you a spokesperson for Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance?
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CerealCardSpender
Are you a spokesperson for Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance?
The LiMu Emu might just wonder into this thread
Old Jan 6, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: UA
FYI, it's confirmed that both Xfinity internet and mobile payments got 5% this quarter despite they are not on the list.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 11:16 am

Any data points on whether adding money to your Google Play Balance triggers the 5% bonus under streaming services. Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Will buying Costco gift cards in store work and Is DISH included? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.