Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to Freedom and Unlimited, new Freedom Flex card & strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Freedom and Unlimited, new Freedom Flex card & strategies

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by Need
Are they sending you a new card with Mastercard logo or you just keep on using the existing card? You get to keep the card number right? Also it seem like Chase still doesn't have wireless on the Freedom Flex card (just by looking at the picture on Chase's site without wireless logo).
You can't keep the number. It will have to start with 5.
The current card is good for about 60 days but I should destroy it when the new card arrives. Maybe I will.
seawolf likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Took a phone call of about 4 minutes to get my Freedom changed to a Freedom Flex. The card number has definitely changed, the last four of the new card is already available to view on Chase.com.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Has anyone figured out if you PC from a Freedom to a Flex in Q4 can you get the 5% category points on both cards? In other words can you spend $1,500 at Walmart in October on a Freedom then PC to a Flex on November 1st and spend another $1,500 for the category bonus again?
Old Sep 13, 2020, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
Has anyone figured out if you PC from a Freedom to a Flex in Q4 can you get the 5% category points on both cards? In other words can you spend $1,500 at Walmart in October on a Freedom then PC to a Flex on November 1st and spend another $1,500 for the category bonus again?
99.95% sure that won’t work.

I know they said no bonus offer for a product change but I think there is a tiny chance the grocery 5% might work. I’ll try a test spend the first time I shop after it arrives.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 8:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
FWIW it does not look like it will reset the counter so the answer is no. Product change appears to be similar to you losing you card and getting a new card number issue. The 5% tracker didn’t reset despite showing flex MC logo.

Last edited by seawolf; Sep 15, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Old Sep 13, 2020, 10:52 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
With the 5% bonus on grocery for a year promo on the Flex, doesn't it make more sense to apply for one rather than PC from Freedom if 5/24 is of no concern? Not to mention the SUB with a new application. TIA.

LAX
Old Sep 14, 2020, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by LAX
...if 5/24 is of no concern...

LAX
1. LOL
2. Unless this puts you to 5/24 and stops you from getting a large bonus on another Chase card.

You might be able to avoid 5/24 in bank. I got a Business Freedom that way at (5 + n)/24. It is definitely a YMMV. I had given up asking for pre-approvals and one day just asked while Mrs. HighOPS was doing something with her business accounts.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
A couple of reports to mention:

- Reddit user reported being able to product change two Chase Freedoms to Freedom Flexes.

- Another Reddit user reported that Chase CSR said FFs would not be able to be added to mobile wallets.

(Source: yesterday's daily discussion thread on r/churning.)
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
.... Reddit user reported that Chase CSR said FFs would not be able to be added to mobile wallets.
Can the Chase co-branded IHG MasterCards be added to mobile wallets?
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:00 am
RNE

Two weeks ago I cancelled my CF on the (now known to be erroneous) speculation that getting a CFF would not be possible if one had a CF. That cancellation seemed rash at the time, but I always had a backup plan in mind. Today, I executed it. Instead of applying for a CFF I applied for a CF (instant approval). After all, the CF gets the same SUB as the CFF (and that's all I'm after anyway). Of course I used a referral from my wife.

RNE, having churned the CF while the CFF is sill there for the plucking (eventually).

P.S. I don't "need" the CFF anyway; my CFU duplicates its 3x on dining.

P.P.S. I'm still way under 5/24.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by mia
You couldn't for a really long time, but apparently now you can (I think within the last year they started allowing it): https://www.chase.com/digital/digita...accepted-cards

Even on that page, it seems like they kind of shoehorned in Mastercard support.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by mia
Should be able to. I was able to add my Hyatt co-branded chase card to applepay with no issues
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:30 pm

When I go in the Chase Mobile app to add cards to Apple Pay, my IHG Select card does not appear as an optional. Maybe it has to be done manually, though?

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Should be able to. I was able to add my Hyatt co-branded chase card to applepay with no issues
Hyatt is a Visa, not a Mastercard.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Two weeks ago I cancelled my CF on the (now known to be erroneous) speculation that getting a CFF would not be possible if one had a CF. That cancellation seemed rash at the time, but I always had a backup plan in mind. Today, I executed it. Instead of applying for a CFF I applied for a CF (instant approval). After all, the CF gets the same SUB as the CFF (and that's all I'm after anyway). Of course I used a referral from my wife.
This is an interesting DP in that you were able to be approved for a Chase card less than 30 days after canceling the same card.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by nall
When I go in the Chase Mobile app to add cards to Apple Pay, my IHG Select card does not appear as an optional. Maybe it has to be done manually, though?

Hyatt is a Visa, not a Mastercard.
Do you have to go thru Chase Mobile to add a card to Apple Pay? When I want to add a card to Google Pay, I just scan the card in Google Pay app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.