Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase has an online form to use for cancellations. Login to your Chase account and click the link below:

https://travel.chase.com/customersupport/travel-alert-refunds

More info here (need to be logged in first):

https://travel.chase.com/service/#/articles/932/61/25635

Direct Cancellation line: 1(888)511-5326
Print Wikipost

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL GM
I called Chase Travel and they told me AA has control of my ticket and they need to cancel and issue the refund, and that after that I had to call back to get my points and cash back. Has anyone actually cancelled directly with the airline (thereby refunding Chase's virtual card), and called back to request points?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by idiosyncrasy
I called Chase Travel and they told me AA has control of my ticket and they need to cancel and issue the refund, and that after that I had to call back to get my points and cash back. Has anyone actually cancelled directly with the airline (thereby refunding Chase's virtual card), and called back to request points?
I am not sure what triggered the email, but a few days ago I both filled out the Chase form and called Delta. Strangely, at the time I called Delta, my reservation was still "confirmed," even though my flights to Spain had clearly been cancelled already.

Today I received an email from Chase entitled "Delta changed your itinerary." However, the text of the email doesn't really say what I'll be getting:
If this is due to the new Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel restrictions, we're already working to issue an airline credit for future travel, or to refund your ticket to the original method of payment, according the airlines policy. You don’t need to call us, we will notify you once this has been processed. To book again, please visit us online.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by idiosyncrasy
I have done this. Cancelled directly with Delta due to serious illness of one of the passenger. Delta refunded to Chase. I call Chase to get the points back to my account.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:28 am

I filled out their form on 3/15 to cancel a flight for 3/25 (2 of the 4 legs have already been cancelled by airlines as they cancel flights). They said they would get back within 7 days. 7 days later, I have received 3 different emails all a few hours after each other stating that they hope to get to me within 24 hours. The clock is ticking, but constantly being reset on their 24 hour response. Every attempt to contact them today has ended up with the call being dropped by them after hours on hold. Nothing here to inspire confidence. I really want to be understanding, but their inability to deal with this either online or on the phone makes me wish I had never used this travel portal.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:04 am

Paid with points months back. Filled out form for 3/21 flight on 3/15 to cancel. I guess chase never cancelled because I got updates from Delta after they cancelled it and rebooked 17 times. Interesting that others are getting word back from flights later than mine.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:51 pm

Update on March 23rd. Finally made it through to Chase Travel Rewards. I felt like I had won the lottery to have a call actually go through! In less than 5 minutes my reservations cancelled, points sent back to my account and remaining finds will be returned as a credit on my credit card. Not sure they were ever going to act on the form I filled out.
ricohitman and elc2414 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:43 pm

Chase Travel has been a nightmare for me with getting refunds/credits for a multi-segment 2 week trip. Some of my flights were authorized refunds by the airlines, however chase just gave me a travel credit. The cancellation form had no comment section to ask about this and the EMAIL's they send me on the flight credits doesn't give me any option to talk to anyone and question what they did. The last time I tried calling Chase I was on hold for 3 hours before I hung up. This totally sucks and Chase needs to do better on their Customer service!
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by pt flyer
Update on March 23rd. Finally made it through to Chase Travel Rewards. I felt like I had won the lottery to have a call actually go through! In less than 5 minutes my reservations cancelled, points sent back to my account and remaining finds will be returned as a credit on my credit card. Not sure they were ever going to act on the form I filled out.
I filed the form yesterday for a flight on May 3rd to LHR. Got a reply within 12 hours from Chase Travel saying I had two options: 1) Accept the changes AA had made to my itinerary (they are maintaining 1 flight per day from the US to LHR) or 2) Request a refund which would be subject to the airline's policies.

I chose Option 2 obviously. Now I wait and see what happens!
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:59 pm

Called today to cancel after AA cancelled my flight LAX/KOA on 3/31. Had to make several attempts before I got a person, but she was helpful and got the reservation cancelled and refunds requested. Once the refunds clear to Chase, I will have to call back to get my UR points reinstated. Overall, frustrating because it's difficult to get someone but satisfied with the service and procedure.
Happy and MDtR-Chicago like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sent email to the booking agent with cc to House Agent to cxtravel.com address - only received a reply from House Agent address said ALL contacts MUST BE BY TELEPHONE!!! (and the bs of any agent can help.)

The problem is, Chase UR number now gave message of if your trip is not the next 5 days, call at later day - then the phone disconnected. This is the same as the line JPM 1-800 rep transferred me to. For whatever reason JPM 's number is on Connexions Invoice as the contact number. That number did pick up really fast, but of no use.

The 918 Tucson number just have a recording message now to tell you leave name and contact number and we will contact you later...

Besides, cruise booking does not show on My Trip anyway.

I understand this is a crisis time but why can't the Connexions refuses to take emails when their phone line is impossible to reach?!
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL PM
Well, more anecdotal info for y'all.

My wife and I had originally scheduled a vacation to HNL on Delta using UR points & CSR in the beginning of April. Super bummed we had to cancel (wife is a Resident, their schedules are going haywire - also, Corona), and I'd been putting it off. I totally forgot I booked through the Chase UR Portal and not Delta, and I just called Delta and canceled the trip. Chase booked it as two PNRs so we ended up getting one half refunded back to card (due to schedule change, amusingly), and the other half as Delta e-ecredit (totally fine, we'll definitely use it when things get settled eventually).

Reading through this thread, I noted some others had canceled first via the airline, then tried calling Chase UR.

So this is where I landed - just tried calling, waded through the menus, got another automated recording that said, "I'm sorry, we are unable to take your call at this time due to high call volumes. If your travel isn't in the next five days, don't call back until then" [click]. So that whole thing was odd. Our departure was originally scheduled for 4/5, so I guess I'll just call within 5 days of that and see about the refund of UR points and cash. Amusingly, the recordings at the beginning of the call said call within 7 days, the last message I got to said 5.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Well, more anecdotal info for y'all.

My wife and I had originally scheduled a vacation to HNL on Delta using UR points & CSR in the beginning of April. Super bummed we had to cancel (wife is a Resident, their schedules are going haywire - also, Corona), and I'd been putting it off. I totally forgot I booked through the Chase UR Portal and not Delta, and I just called Delta and canceled the trip. Chase booked it as two PNRs so we ended up getting one half refunded back to card (due to schedule change, amusingly), and the other half as Delta e-ecredit (totally fine, we'll definitely use it when things get settled eventually).

Reading through this thread, I noted some others had canceled first via the airline, then tried calling Chase UR.

So this is where I landed - just tried calling, waded through the menus, got another automated recording that said,

"I'm sorry, we are unable to take your call at this time due to high call volumes. If your travel isn't in the next five days, don't call back until then" [click]. So that whole thing was odd.

Our departure was originally scheduled for 4/5, so I guess I'll just call within 5 days of that and see about the refund of UR points and cash. Amusingly, the recordings at the beginning of the call said call within 7 days, the last message I got to said 5.
That is the same message I got.

But the problem is, the phone is disconnected after that message -

so just HOW those who travel within the next 5 days can talk to UR if the phone disconnects BEFORE another option?!
BothofUs2 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who need to reach to Connexions Loyalty Travel, there is a regular phone number 918 879 9300 to reach them but currently is set up to leave message of your Trip ID and contact number for call back. They did call back, even in the evening as they work till 8pm Central Time. Their toll free is 1-866-951-6592 for Chase Reward's bookings. (Connexions also handles Citi's among many other banks'). So you do not need to go thru the regular UR number on UR website.

When the rep called back last night she canceled the booking in Connexions system as the cruise already canceled by the cruise line. I got an email to that effect although the email landed in the SPAM folder. She said as cruise lines processing the refunds they would receive email with details of the booking, and they could rather easily match the records at their end. Until the cruise lines process the refunds, send the records to them, we are all on a waiting game. Giving the scale of cancellation, the rep said some lines were telling them it may take 90 days.

For those struggle with flight cancellation, the best approach seen among friends, is to get the airlines to refund the canceled flights first. You would get an email confirmation on the refund amount goes back to the original form of payment which Chase Reward card is ending 7213. Once that is taken care of, you can then wait for a better time to contact UR for redepositing of your points.

Chase Reward regular telephone number is 425 679 7200. You may want to try this instead of the hours hold / disconnect after short message, toll free number.
happychic likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA,UA,DL,Alaska,Hilton,Hyatt
Really appreciate the data points from the forum, thanks all, it's been helpful when trying to navigate the most efficient and least painful way to do this.

Just a data point of my own to offer - I had originally booked UA on UR points from my Chase Sapphire Reserve, flying CID-DEN-LAX leaving 5pm on Sat 3/28.

Last Sunday UA (presumably, since it didn't say who the originator of the text was) texted me that my first leg flight was cancelled, then texted that I was rebooked for later Saturday evening 3/28. Then this past Tuesday they again texted that they've cancelled that first leg flight completely, and rebooked me to leave early Sunday morning 3/29 (a full 13 hours after the originally booked flight departure time).

Decided to heed several of the posters here on FT saying to wait until a few days before the trip before doing anything - great advice. Also - wish I would have seen the advice from @Happy earlier in the forum, seems to be a solid strategy and better than what I went through.

- I called the Chase UR travel number 888-511-5323 late last night (Wednesday), waited about an hour, and finally gave up on it.
- Tried again this morning (Thursday), was disconnected twice after waiting on hold over an hour each time.
- On the third call this afternoon (after waiting on hold an hour and 15 minutes) I finally got through to someone. The Chase Travel rep initially tried to explain how I would only get a travel credit, because United still showed the flight as operating. I insisted he go back to the original itinerary, and look at what the departure time originally was (13 hours prior to what they currently had me flying). He was trying to frame this as "the flight is still operating per United so no refund only flight credit" when in reality my original flight was cancelled and I was automatically rebooked 13 hours later. He put me on hold again, finally coming back and agreeing that I would be eligible for a refund. He indicated the points could take a statement cycle to post, but that the refund was issued. I got a confirmation a few minutes after the call, confirming the flight cancellation and a points refund was being applied. Now just waiting for the points to post back to my UR account. Overall took about 15 minutes with the agent to do this all.

Last edited by BothofUs2; Mar 26, 2020 at 7:35 pm Reason: Edit: Points posted in my UR account later the same day of cancellation
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:00 am

What if I have closed my chase credit card (Ink Business) and don't have the UR account to credit back to?

The ticket was purchased almost 10 months ago on AA using mostly Chase UR points plus a small dollar amount I charged to my Ink card.
I have since closed the Chase Ink account.
Now AA policy says that if the flight is cancelled by them, they will issue full refund back to the original form of payment.
But since I no longer has a UR account (let alone a UR account linked to a Ink card that has 1.25 redeem ratio), what will happen to the refund? (I assume AA will credit the full dollar amount of the ticket to Chase Travel's Expedia credit account)?

Anyone has data point from similar experiences? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.