Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase has an online form to use for cancellations. Login to your Chase account and click the link below:

https://travel.chase.com/customersupport/travel-alert-refunds

More info here (need to be logged in first):

https://travel.chase.com/service/#/articles/932/61/25635

Direct Cancellation line: 1(888)511-5326
Print Wikipost

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Thanks. Yes, AA refunded to Chase/Expedia. Chase/Expedia gave me the UR points back quickly but are dragging heels on credit card piece.
Based on the FACT that the UR pts are refunded, I figure Chase / Expedia have ALREADY gotten the AA refund, but just dragging their feet to release the $ portion.

File a complaint with CFPB if you dont want to play their game.
Old May 13, 2020, 6:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.....ability as a consumer to recover $$ from them doing something against the rules is certainly limited. ....
If you are trying to recover money, rather than points, dispute the credit card charge, but do it as stipulated in the law, though the USPS with a well documented claim. It's a straightforward cse.
Old May 14, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by mia
If you are trying to recover money, rather than points, dispute the credit card charge, but do it as stipulated in the law, though the USPS with a well documented claim. It's a straightforward cse.
Isn't there a time limit on this? I purchased the tickets ~6 months ago.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't there a time limit on this? I purchased the tickets ~6 months ago.
For service not rendered it is 60 days (or much longer) from the time the service should be rendered.

So the clock starts from the time the flight should have been operated.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Success!

Booked SFO-LHR business class tix on United using UR points last September for a mid-July flight. United canceled our outbound and moved us to the earlier flight. I called United and canceled. Requested a refund on the basis of the schedule change, to which they agreed. Made the request on 5/7. United processed the refund on 5/11. I called Chase today and they checked that United had processed the refund and promptly credited the UR points back to my account. Big sigh of relief. No complaints at all (about United or Chase).

P.S. When I was transferred to the correct department to deal w/ Chase travel cancelations and refunds, I was given the direct number (in case the call dropped). It is 1(888)511-5326.
mia, pallhedge and TEDisgone like this.

Last edited by lexdevil; May 14, 2020 at 10:17 pm
Old May 15, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
My refund posted today, so 39 days start to finish as a data point. Fortunately it did not come to filing complaints with DOT, CFPB, etc
Old May 15, 2020, 7:45 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by lexdevil
P.S. When I was transferred to the correct department to deal w/ Chase travel cancelations and refunds, I was given the direct number (in case the call dropped). It is 1(888)511-5326.

I just added that phone number to the wiki. Thanks!
lexdevil and jjmiller69 like this.
Old May 18, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Happy
Also file a complaint with CFPB.

Totally agree that Chase with its resources, should not behave like this, taking advantage of the situation.
I filed a complaint with the CFPB on Thursday, got a call from Chase on Friday and my money was credited to my account today. I would encourage everyone who has problems with Chase refunds to submit a complaint with the CFPB, at least that seems to get the attention of someone at Chase that calling or emailing does not.
Happy likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scottinaz
I filed a complaint with the CFPB on Thursday, got a call from Chase on Friday and my money was credited to my account today. I would encourage everyone who has problems with Chase refunds to submit a complaint with the CFPB, at least that seems to get the attention of someone at Chase that calling or emailing does not.
It seems you paid $ 1 way or another for your tkts, correct? Will the CFPB take up the issue if 1- you used your UR pts and no $ , 2- the carrier that issued the tkt hasnt done what it must to Refund the tkt, especially if its a non-US Airline ( even thou the O/D are in The US)

. From what Ive gone thru going to DOT definitely lit a fire under Chases feet but not the airline and my tkts were all UR pts w/o any $. My personal take is until the carrier that issued the tkt will restart up with its flights to anywhere in The US, they feel they dont have to do anything and probably will take care of it close to when they plan to restart their flights here, hats if a DOT complaint was filed
Old May 18, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by craz
It seems you paid $ 1 way or another for your tkts, correct? Will the CFPB take up the issue if 1- you used your UR pts and no $ , 2- the carrier that issued the tkt hasnt done what it must to Refund the tkt, especially if its a non-US Airline ( even thou the O/D are in The US)

. From what Ive gone thru going to DOT definitely lit a fire under Chases feet but not the airline and my tkts were all UR pts w/o any $. My personal take is until the carrier that issued the tkt will restart up with its flights to anywhere in The US, they feel they dont have to do anything and probably will take care of it close to when they plan to restart their flights here, hats if a DOT complaint was filed
Yes, I used $ and points for the tickets. I requested a refund after AA cancelled my flights and it took them about 7 business days to complete my refund. I received my points back a few days later but after almost 3 weeks no refund of $ from Chase and no response to phone calls or secure emails. So my issue was not with AA since they said it would take 7 business days and it did. My issue was that Chase would not refund my $ and would not give me a timeframe in which they would refund it until I submitted a complaint with the CFPB.
Happy likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Yes, I used $ and points for the tickets. I requested a refund after AA cancelled my flights and it took them about 7 business days to complete my refund. I received my points back a few days later but after almost 3 weeks no refund of $ from Chase and no response to phone calls or secure emails. So my issue was not with AA since they said it would take 7 business days and it did. My issue was that Chase would not refund my $ and would not give me a timeframe in which they would refund it until I submitted a complaint with the CFPB.

Thx for clarifying, unfortunately it doesnt help me since I was all pts and both tkts were on non-US carriers, which still arent flying into The US, still going thru the motions so that when those Carriers announce they will start up,I wont be standing at sq 1. Also not much I can do till the Small claims courts open again, but once they do I will go after Chase and the Carriers
Old May 19, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you very much for posting a valuable data point.

It is unfortunate that it takes government agency's "intervention" to eventually get a response that led to a correct outcome. (bank has to reply to CFPB complaint within 60 days, there is no if or but to let them not to response, even if they deny the allegation.)

This is not the time to keep waiting after several weeks have passed without getting any communication, especially if the other party is a big organization with a lot of resources,
Old May 19, 2020, 4:51 pm

AA cancelled my June flight from LAX to BCN. I've requested a refund by via chat with the Chase Travel rep on May 11th. He confirmed with AA that I was entitled to a refund while I was on the chat. My points were credited back instantly . I've received my cash refund today, 7 business days later.
lexdevil likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A good news though I have no idea how this even happens because Swiss airlines and matter of fact, LH groups flat out deny refunds on canceled flights, even on the fully refundable fares, unless the passengers are HON members... We are to write off the 31K UR pts used for 2 intra-Europe tickets all on LX metal booked thru UR.

This afternoon out of the blue got an email from Chase - with a notice of canceled itinerary, AND a notice on points refunded to account. The oddity is, the case number referenced to this refund is not either of the 2 case numbers issued by 2 chat reps on 2 chats several weeks apart...

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32394050-post351.html in FT LX forum.

May be it is due to
1) EU said it would not issue temp suspension of EU261, and if airlines want to use vouchers to sub for cash refund, the voucher must be have no restriction / twice the value of the cash refund... I haven't paid attn to the details because vouchers are of no use to us.
2) German government changed stance - instead of backing LH not to refund and asked EU to bend the rules, now German government said if LH wanted government bail out, LH groups must refund on canceled flights no later than Sept 30.

So anyone who has intra-EU tickets bought thru UR, on LH, LX, OS, LOT flights, you should get the refund on the canceled flights.
TEDisgone likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Happy
A good news though I have no idea how this even happens because Swiss airlines and matter of fact, LH groups flat out deny refunds on canceled flights, even on the fully refundable fares, unless the passengers are HON members... We are to write off the 31K UR pts used for 2 intra-Europe tickets all on LX metal booked thru UR.

This afternoon out of the blue got an email from Chase - with a notice of canceled itinerary, AND a notice on points refunded to account. The oddity is, the case number referenced to this refund is not either of the 2 case numbers issued by 2 chat reps on 2 chats several weeks apart...

So anyone who has intra-EU tickets bought thru UR, on LH, LX, OS, LOT flights, you should get the refund on the canceled flights.
So there is hope! I'll keeping holding on, then.

I want to understand what is taking Chase so long with my BA refund as I got the points back almost instantly but am still waiting three weeks later for the credit. My other ticket that I bought directly with BA was fully refunded in three days after cancelling! Interestingly, other Expedia purchases that had to be cancelled have already been credited back...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.