Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase United Club VISA Infinite Card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
I'm interested in getting a new card because I have about $3k in property taxes to pay by the end of the month. I'm also a 1K so United miles are more valuable to me due to not having to pay any change/cancel fees on award tickets (plus now I'll be a 1K throughout 2021 as well). I already have the Club card and have had it for over 24 months. If I'm reading this correctly, I can cancel my Club card, apply for the Club Infinite card, and still be eligible for the 100,000 mile introductory offer, is that correct?

Seems like a no brainer for someone in my situation, but I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:12 pm
Suspended

I may get this card to top off my United account. Having another 105,000 (after spend) in the account would feel nice.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Really torn on this one. I have *G, so don't need the club access. The free GE fee would be a gift a friend if they are renewing, so no monetary value, my GE is good till 2023. Essentially it would boil down to getting 105k United miles for 500$ and a ding on my 5/24 count at chase. Hmm...
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Really torn on this one. I have *G, so don't need the club access. The free GE fee would be a gift a friend if they are renewing, so no monetary value, my GE is good till 2023. Essentially it would boil down to getting 105k United miles for 500$ and a ding on my 5/24 count at chase. Hmm...
Doesn't sound like you want this as a keeper.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I assume you have had the UA Explorer card already and can’t buy cheaper miles through that card’s signup bonus?

In normal times I would be willing to get the Club card for a year for the signup bonus, but right now I am not a buyer. When flying restarts, I am planning to continue working on reducing my mileage balances with various programs.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I assume you have had the UA Explorer card already and can’t buy cheaper miles through that card’s signup bonus?
Yes, I got 60k last April/May on the Explorer card.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:43 pm
Suspended

I applied and was approved for the card a few minutes ago.

I’ll put $5,000 in spend on it, get my 105,000 United miles and move on. All said, will have 185,000 miles and enough to get me a one way back from South Africa or the like.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Ended up getting the card and making the required $5,000 in spend (to the penny). I'll let you know when miles post to United Account. I'm hoping since I completed the spend before the closing of the first statement, they will come when it closes in 2-3 weeks.

Can't argue with another 105,000 United Miles 'in the bank'. Let's face it, UA isn't going to disappear.
Old May 18, 2020, 12:07 am

It seems Chase finally gave in and listed the card on the affiliate programs... the bloggers have been pushing the card this weekend

Unfortunate timing for Chase/UA to launch this card, I'm sure we will see it come back with higher sign up bonuses or lower AF.
Old May 18, 2020, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It seems Chase finally gave in and listed the card on the affiliate programs... the bloggers have been pushing the card this weekend

Unfortunate timing for Chase/UA to launch this card, I'm sure we will see it come back with higher sign up bonuses or lower AF.
No wonder! I thought it was weird that just about every blog was reminding its readers that the deadline was fast approaching. I guess money talks at the end of the day.[/b]
Old May 19, 2020, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by mia
The issuers dilute them. Originally the large issuers owned MasterCard and VISA, but even after this changed the balance of power seems to still favor the issuers.
That's because the associations allow them to be diluted. They used to have Card Issuance Guidelines but perhaps no longer or they are time-based? As of Jan 2014, Mastercard lifted the guidelines for World Elite which is why the market began to get flooded with them. Up until that point, only a few products were available directly as WE (usually just the top travel cards) and many issuers had upgrade campaigns to convert existing Mastercard accounts to World Elite based on spend. It seems to be more of a US thing, in many markets Gold and Platinum still have prestige and are very conservative with upgrades but here everyone has World Elite and Signature or Infinite with low credit lines.
Old May 19, 2020, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nick92
That's because the associations allow them to be diluted. They used to have Card Issuance Guidelines but perhaps no longer or they are time-based? As of Jan 2014, Mastercard lifted the guidelines for World Elite which is why the market began to get flooded with them. Up until that point, only a few products were available directly as WE (usually just the top travel cards) and many issuers had upgrade campaigns to convert existing Mastercard accounts to World Elite based on spend. It seems to be more of a US thing, in many markets Gold and Platinum still have prestige and are very conservative with upgrades but here everyone has World Elite and Signature or Infinite with low credit lines.
I thought Visa Infinite have a minimum of $10k CL?
Old May 19, 2020, 11:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lsquare
I thought Visa Infinite have a minimum of $10k CL?
This information is not true. I was approved for a limit of ~$23,000. I've already spent the $5,000, received the 100,000 sign up bonus and paid off the balance.

After paying off the balance, I transferred most of the available credit over to my Chase Freedom Card, leaving just $3,600 in available credit on the United Club Visa Infinite Card. I did this because I will cancel the card before the fist anniversary renewal.

So, as a matter of fact, you can have much less than a $10,000 credit limit on the card. Now, I don't know what the 'approval minimum' is, but you can re-allocate credit and take it well below $10,000.

I'm now sitting on a small cache of United miles totaling 186,000 miles. We'll be using them for a one-way reward ticket from Cape Town back to Dallas in early 2022.

Cheers
lsquare likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Data point

Originally Posted by cslovacek
This information is not true. I was approved for a limit of ~$23,000. I've already spent the $5,000, received the 100,000 sign up bonus and paid off the balance.

After paying off the balance, I transferred most of the available credit over to my Chase Freedom Card, leaving just $3,600 in available credit on the United Club Visa Infinite Card. I did this because I will cancel the card before the fist anniversary renewal.

So, as a matter of fact, you can have much less than a $10,000 credit limit on the card. Now, I don't know what the 'approval minimum' is, but you can re-allocate credit and take it well below $10,000.

I'm now sitting on a small cache of United miles totaling 186,000 miles. We'll be using them for a one-way reward ticket from Cape Town back to Dallas in early 2022.

Cheers
I applied, got a pending notice instead of instant approval so I called in. They told me the minimum was $15k, so I moved $ from Sapphire and Hyatt to free up 15k and voila - approval on Friday and card arrived yesterday. But yes, my understanding is that a Visa Infinite requires $10k on approval. I didn't argue over the $5k because with so little travel, going down to $22k on Hyatt and $28k on Reserve wasn't much of an issue.
Old May 19, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Also saw that the new SUB is now...no annual fee for first year.

Theoretically, you could get the card, use the lounges and claim the TSA Global Entry $100 credit for free by cancelling before renewal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.